Pitcairn PA36 in EPP - Page 2 - RC Groups
Sep 03, 2017, 03:03 AM
Chris
I am sorry to disappoint you, I did not change the rotor direction. It turned counter clockwise when view from top since beginning.
So I can't tell you a difference. Most Whippits etc. turn clockwise ?!
Behavior with changed dirctionwould be interesting to me too. I am not sure how to deside for my next autogyro.
Yes, no structure behind the mast. The closed EPP body seemed sufficiently strong to me.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 03, 2017, 06:11 AM
Sorry to see but I think you got away with it with minimal damage.

Could not say for certain but esc and power supply could be the issue, if the esc was so hot , I have had that with a cheap Hobby king one, had to cut off the heat shrink and get more in the airflow .

I have had signal cut out with Rx on a Whippit were I found one of the servos was drawingvexcessive current , pulling supply to Rx down . Changed esc and motor and Rx . Still no joy til I changed the new digital mini servo on tail ... sorted. China cheap one . Should have known better. Newvservo installed and a capacitor on a spare Rx channel and its now bullet proof . Flown loads of times on original Rx with no issues

I would ensure better cooling , check max current draw of motor, make sure servos not stalling

Good luck

Steve
Sep 03, 2017, 12:04 PM
Thanks Steve, some good ideas!
Cut a new ventilation hole in the fuselage, removed the heat shrink and placed the esc in the airflow.
No issues sofar (2 flights).
OK changed the rx as well
Sep 03, 2017, 03:49 PM
Great , hope that sorts it .. remember tho for good cooling flow the area of the air out hole should be twice the inlet size.

Some think a large entrance hole is ok but if the outlet is too small the air just stalls .

Keep going and let's see more of your great model

Steve
Sep 03, 2017, 08:01 PM
I think that I must have been getting mixed up with your smaller model.I looked at your video again and am sure you spun it up in a clockwise direction?
I built my Whippit rotor to turn in a counter clockwise direction as I'm pretty sure most builders do. I have to say that all the 20 autogyros that I have built have turned CCW on the rotor.
Re the cooling ....The first thing that I do when I get a new ESC is to remove all the shrink wrap from around the heat sink....and always plenty of air flow over motor,ESC and lipo.
I am very keen to make a PA 36 although I would not be able to go the moulded EPP path. Looking at you plan...I'm pretty sure that I can come up with something.
Happy Landings
Chris...
Sep 04, 2017, 03:19 AM
Yes, finally got somebody infected with the PA 36 fever
It would not be that much effort to make some molded halves. So I am sure we could make a deal there, but sending to Australia is probably prohibitively expensive
Steve... need to make a outlet hole, nothing yet. Want to make it a bit scale thou. The original had a middle motor, so outlets will be just aft of the mast.
Sep 04, 2017, 04:24 AM
Thanks for that ..but I"m pretty sure that I can come up with something.
I have done a lot of work with foam and glass on a professional basis over the years .
just finished one a few weeks ago.
Cheers
Chris...
Sep 04, 2017, 06:29 AM
Wow... I´d love to see a glas body with a shining chrome finish!!
I am still uncertain on how to finish mine. Thought about covering with silver or chrom iron on, but it does not hold all to well on EPP and if it does it will get wrinkles with use. Second option would be silver spay color, but wouldn´t give a proper representation of the original from the start on. Downsides of using EPP, but wouldn´t want to think about how a hard body might have looked after my last crash.
So, for the time beeing it will stay like it is, knowing I have a nice body (oh yeah ) with poor finishing.
Sep 04, 2017, 04:06 PM
Graham gets a really good finish on EPP but it takes time and effort! Cmon G spill the beans! I suppose you could glass co era the EPP and then spray?
Sep 04, 2017, 08:10 PM
Werner...Any body that I may build would definately not stand the punishment that your model took.
Chris...
Sep 06, 2017, 04:26 AM
I've been looking for any info on this machine....but have drawn a blank...did you find a three view.
Chris...
Sep 06, 2017, 09:24 AM
Chris,... sorry no three view
There is a quite good side view foto available which I used most and some angled fotos, the rest is guesswork. Have a look here:
http://airspot.ru/catalogue/item/pitcairn-pa-36
the only front view (more or less) you can get from this video:
Pitcairn PA-36 Whirl Wing Autogyro (1941) (1 min 22 sec)

nothing even remotly for a top view.
Just realised my landing gear is far to wide, but I am tipping over to often even now.
Sep 06, 2017, 10:50 AM
Had this info about the PA36
Still looking for the diag showing the transmission I have it somewhere
Joe
Sep 06, 2017, 10:19 PM
Werner...Re the U/C I always make my U/C considerably wider than the scale position to try to stop the flipping over situation.
Joe ...thanks for that ....did you expect me to ask for the three view?? I was!
Chris...
Sep 07, 2017, 10:05 AM
Joe... Thanks for the three view! I feel I might have seen it before, but can't remember.
Be careful with the silhouette of the tail and fins, I think they are much too "square" when compared to the fotos. Wouldn't fit to the rest designwise either, I think.