Pitcairn PA36 in EPP - RC Groups
May 23, 2017, 04:47 AM
Discussion

Pitcairn PA36 in EPP

Did the first flight with my new EPP Pitcairn PA36 yesterday and wanted to share a few pictures with the community.
Testhüpfer PA36 (1 min 4 sec)

The dimensions are roughly matching the successful Whippit, but I built the fuselage from formed EPP sheets. Parts of the rotorhead and the blades are leftovers of my first autogyro.
to remove ads between posts
May 23, 2017, 05:28 AM
Nice project...
I like the head set up.
Chris...
May 23, 2017, 07:47 AM
Thanks Chris,
nothing very special about the rotorhead. I thought it was pretty strait forward rebuild of the HK rotorhead, but I have never seen one of those live.
Rotorhead (0 min 15 sec)

btw. the ball joints are to close together I had to reduce aileron throw to 50% after the first test. You see how sensitive it was in the video. To regain servo travle I need to move them further apart.

Below are a few pictures of how I built the hull halvs. I wraped a 0,8-1cm EPP sheet with the help of a kitchen cloth and staples over a positiv mould. After this I "backed" it in the oven for 25min an 115°C and let it cool down afterwards. When the cloth was removed I got perfectly formed hull halves, which I glued toghether with HK "mucilage" (great stuff for EPP) and fitted the hull with wood elements to support mast, undercarriage and electronics.
May 23, 2017, 08:58 AM
Good looking model
Love the technique to make the fuselage need to have a go at cooking with epp in the future
Joe
May 23, 2017, 05:56 PM
It's all in the Blades!
Now that's clever
May 23, 2017, 09:40 PM
Great job, not sure I'm ready to cook with epp yet though.
May 24, 2017, 04:44 AM
G'day Werner
You like this method of building...because I can remember you making a PA 36 a few years ago and a small two blade Calidus.
I'm afraid that" her indoors" would not appreciate the oven being used in such an manor.
Happy Landings
Chris...
Aug 25, 2017, 01:36 PM
Finally got around to trim the model properly after quite a few mishaps. I would call it a success now
"directors cut" with overlength. Sorry
Pitcairn PA36 RC-autogyro (12 min 39 sec)

Btw. "baking of the EPP" in the kitchen oven is no problem at all!! there are no smells or fumes, the EPP stays way under a temperatur were this could happen. Lots of kitchen supply is made of polypropylen, no problem there either.
Aug 26, 2017, 02:25 AM
Thanks for posting your great video...I hope that your plans and details should inspire others to copy your build.
It must have been nice to have the field to yourself on a nice windy day when it is a joy to play with an autogyro.
Happy Landings
Chris...
Aug 26, 2017, 03:09 AM
Thanks, it was a nice day indeed :-)
Please don't get mixed up with my models. The drawings posted in the other thread are for the shockflyer stile park and indoor flyer with 200g.
This thread deals with the only slightly bigger EPP version weighing in at 720g for the bigger field.
Aug 31, 2017, 12:36 PM
One of those not so good days
PA-36 RC autogyro crash (2 min 59 sec)

right now I blame the cheepo Banggood ESC to have caused signal loss due to cutting powersupply to receiver.
Maybe I should have taken care for better ventilation
Aug 31, 2017, 08:34 PM
Werner
Considering that nose dive that the model took .....WOW...who's a lucky boy?
I am pretty sure that I would not have flown in such gusty conditions.
Happy Landings
Chris...
Sep 01, 2017, 02:56 AM

A wise man wouldnīt have flown after the crash either. I just could not call it a day after this, so a did one start, circuit and landing and went home then.
Lucky Boy
Sep 01, 2017, 04:01 AM
Werner, Nice model and great video. We all have those off days but it's good to know what the fault was. I have been using Taranis SmartPort telemetry on some of my models. The Taranis can be set to record the telemetry for analysis via Open TX. It's amazing what can be discovered.
However, nice model, well flown
Sep 02, 2017, 11:30 PM
A wise man wouldn't have flown after the crash......LOL ..I like that, we all do some strangs things sometimes.
I noticed that you have changed your rotor direction?? any reason OR improvement.
The reason that I ask is because all my models have had counter clockwise blades and you are in a position to know if one is better than the other.
Looking at your model am I correct in noticing there is no internal structure back behind the mast? It's just the outer body that holds it all together ?
Chris...