Jun 15, 2018, 10:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrob
Hello Don,
Yes I am not real excited with mounting the motor that way because I see that causing me a problem down the road. Getting those screws in would be a problem physically for me. Just would work much better for me with the mount in front of the motor.
I watched every video of the plane that I can find and I love what I see. Everything I want in a plane. Could I move the firewall? Would your design permit that change?
It's not the plane. Its the motors. Believe me, I resisted this arrangement myself, for a number of reasons, but the fact is that the motors for the bulkhead-in-front arrangement simply are not available. Sure, it's possible to move the bulkhead, but first you have to find an appropriate motor that supports that arrangement. If you find one, please let us know.

As far as getting those screws in, you could set up the hatch so that there is only a small lip on the nose piece over the motor sticking out behind the bulkhead, leaving plenty of access to the back side of the bulkhead. In fact the stock overhang there is only about 1/4", so the access to those screws is already pretty easy. The down-thrust of the motor also makes reaching those screws easier. It's really not that bad.
Last edited by Don Stackhouse; Jun 15, 2018 at 10:45 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 16, 2018, 06:26 AM
Flying Low
Yeah I haven't finished building mine yet but those screws are fairly easy to get to and once they are in there they shouldn't have to come out again.
Jun 16, 2018, 02:47 PM
Don I have found these motors so far and HK has some but those require overseas shipping which I am not interested in.
Have a look and see what you think.

https://www.emaxmodel.com/gt2215.html
https://www.emaxmodel.com/gt2210.html
https://www.emaxmodel.com/gt2218.html
https://www.ebay.com/i/182759664960?chn=ps
Jun 16, 2018, 06:34 PM
Those first three are too big and heavy.

The last one is borderline, still too heavy (by about 1/4 oz) but not as bad as the others. Kv of 1900 is a bit high but will probably work. Shaft size (3 mm) might have trouble finding props that fit. Most in this size range are 3.17 mm (1/8"), so a prop with that bore will be a slip fit on that shaft It is possible that they actually mean 3.17 mm but rounded that off to 3 mm in the ad, but I would not want to count on that.

Seems like you're going to a lot of trouble, redesigning the nose structure, hunting for a different motor than the plane was developed for, adapting a new motor that brings with it a bunch of unknowns, all because you suspect (but don't know for sure) you might have trouble reaching a couple of screws. And those screws only have to be installed a couple of times at most, it's not something you will need to remove and reinstall frequently. My suggestion would be to build the plane as designed, with the motor it was designed for, and if you try and find you can't put those screws in yourself, find a friend to put them in for you. That would be far less trouble than what you seem to be putting yourself through.
Jun 17, 2018, 08:17 PM
Yeah I think you are right.
Thank you for your help my friend.
Nov 29, 2018, 09:14 AM
I wonder how this build ended up?? Maidan flight? Strange how the thread just stopped with the plane almost completed....mmmm

Quick Reply