Jul 14, 2017, 07:46 PM
Team Hello Kitty
Saturday pilot's meeting was announced as 7:30 but it may take a little longer to get everything set up. So let's use 8:00 for Sat pilots meeting. We will set the Sun start time based on how long Sat took. Remember, everything has to be packed off the field after flying is done on Sat.

Thanks much
Chris
to remove ads between posts
Jul 15, 2017, 07:53 PM
Team Hello Kitty

Contest results - Day 1

We had a great day of flying, less afternoon wind than expected. The ultralights got in plenty of rounds today. Scores below are unchecked (smartphone scoring worked great!) but are probably close. After I get some dinner I'll update the scores if I find any corrections.

Chris
Last edited by SoaringDude; Jul 15, 2017 at 10:58 PM. Reason: Added flight scores
Jul 15, 2017, 09:12 PM
Flying What?!?
Any raw scores Chris? Thanks!
Jul 15, 2017, 11:03 PM
Team Hello Kitty
Flight scores just added, Tuan. We are expecting another great day on Sunday, then the flyoffs mid day, then the drawing for the Neu 1102 motor. More soon...
Jul 16, 2017, 04:16 PM
a.k.a Frank Campbell
Thanks to everybody who did all the work for this, extremely well run contest. And thanks to NeuMotors for the sponsorship and raffle prize

Had a great time

Frank
Jul 16, 2017, 09:11 PM
Team Hello Kitty

Contest results-Final

What a great contest. Sunday's weather was perfect. Just got home and wanted to quickly post the results. More coming soon. --Chris

Flyoffs

Congrats to the pilots who made the flyoffs and congrats to #1 John Armstrong for coming out on top after a very tough battle:

John Armstrong - 2837 points
Lenny Keer - 2447
Ali Khani - 2052
Francesco Meschia - 1457
Jerry Molnar - 1237

Qualifying Rounds

Also congrats to the pilots who placed in the top 10 in the qualifying rounds. #1 Ali Khani who worked a significant lead over the 12 qual rounds. Note: in F5J the qual scores do not carry over into the flyoffs.
Ali Khani - 10990 points
John Armstrong - 10571
Lenny Keer - 10395
Jerry Molnar - 9632
Francesco Meschia - 9524
Aric Wilmunder - 9070
Tim Johnson - 8990
Rick Johnston - 8729
Don McCullough - 8127
Steve Willison - 7620
Last edited by SoaringDude; Jul 16, 2017 at 11:54 PM.
Jul 16, 2017, 09:23 PM
E sailplane thermal hack
Great time!! Very very challenging conditions!! Congrats to the winners who conquered them. And a VERY VERY Special thank you to Chris B. Who selflessly did SOOO much to make this such a well organized and super fun comp.
Way to go Chris!!!

Jerry Molnar
( last in the flyoffs)

Ps edit : and a special thanks to my friend and timer Aric who ALMOST made his strategy of flying out in westbejesus work with his 78oz Xplorer. If I'd had the guts to adopt his strategy in the flyoffs ,, possibly I might've done better.
But it was GREAT fun regardless.
Jul 17, 2017, 06:08 AM
Nice Job everyone, looked like a fun contest !

Props to Jon. Looked like a dual with Lenny till the last round although I think if Ali made time it would have been insanely close.

What was Ali's 100 point penalty for in Round 1 of the flyoffs? Early motor start is 100 points right?
Jul 17, 2017, 08:46 AM
Where is the lift?
Congrats John!

Charlie
Jul 17, 2017, 10:23 AM
Good for what ALES you
Congrats to all of the pilots. This field provided an amazing range of challenges where a successful strategy one flight might fail the next. Early morning flights had just the lightest of lift, and after a round or two with growing thermals, the winds would slowly pick up and change the entire landscape. This is a great venue to test a full range of piloting skills.
Jul 17, 2017, 10:56 AM
E sailplane thermal hack
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwjoon
Nice Job everyone, looked like a fun contest !

Props to Jon. Looked like a dual with Lenny till the last round although I think if Ali made time it would have been insanely close.

What was Ali's 100 point penalty for in Round 1 of the flyoffs? Early motor start is 100 points right?
He came in very low from opposite direction , landed in opposite direction. It was QUITE clear that Ali was the MASTER of low saves! On many many occasions Aric and I watching would say : he's got 5min left at 30ft up,, and yet,, he would almost always make it. He won more rounds than anybody by wide margin.
The MASTER of low.
Jul 17, 2017, 11:05 AM

F5J@Hollister Awards Ceremony Pictures

Your top three finishers at Hollister. Very challenging fly off, with some great flying.
Jul 17, 2017, 12:46 PM
A big thanks to Chris, Don, the SBSS and everyone who helped!
It was a weekend of great fun, unspoiled by the >95 F temps. It's been a long time since my last F5J contest, and I enjoyed this one very, very much.
Jul 17, 2017, 05:45 PM
Once again another fantastic F5J event! Running like a well oiled machine it seems. Great venue, good people. Excellent burritos! Many thanks to everyone involved! I had a blast.
Jul 17, 2017, 09:30 PM

NeuMotors Raffle Winner

Frank Campbell, the happy winner of the NeuMotor 1102 at F5J@Hollister. Thanks again to Steve Neu for the generous contribution.
Dave

Quick Reply