May 22, 2017, 06:26 PM
Contest

F5J at Hollister July 15-16, 2017

The South Bay Soaring Society (SBSS) is pleased to announce a F5J competition to be held July 15 and 16th, 2017. The contest will be held at Brigantino Park; 2100 San Juan Road, 95023 Hollister CA. GPS coordinates 36 50 53.04 N, 121 25 49.73 W. Brigantino Park is a large, irrigated and mowed grass field.

Average high temperature in July is 81 degrees, but mornings and evenings are typically much cooler due to the nearby coast. Driving time to or from Monterey or Santa Cruz is approximately 45 minutes, making this contest a logical basis for a family vacation.

Contest Directors are Don McCullough, and Chris Bajorek. Contest Coordinator is Dave Murphy, dmurphy380@sbcglobal.net.

This is a F5J-USA Tour event, and will be conducted in accordance with Tour rules. Pertinent information can be found at www.f5j-usa.com/ including rules, explanations and a link to the current FAI rules. Each model flown must be equipped with an approved F5J logging altimeter. Motor restarts will be allowed, but will result in a 0 flight and landing score.

A list of currently approved altimeters is shown below:
Altis v3
Altis v4+
Altis v4
Altis Micro
CAMF5J
Grk Elec Altmr2
Mvario2_JetiBox
RCE #2Basic
RCE Multi 2
SM Unilog 2

Contest fees for this two day event will be $50.00. Registration is now open on F3Xevents.com. Paying at the field is no longer an option, so sign up at www:F3xevents.com. Pay fee by PayPal or by mail.

The top five scorers will receive awards. Also, there will be a drawing held the second day of the contest and the lucky winner will receive a NeuMotors F5J 1102. The motor is provided by our F5J Tour Sponsor; NeuMotors

The park will be available for practice on Friday the 14th. There is no overnight camping allowed at the park, and users must provide their own drinking water. Shade is scarce, so consider bringing sun protection or shelter.

Recommendations for nearby camping sites, and hotel recommendations are being developed and will be posted soon. We are also trying to develop some sort of onsite lunch option for both days.
Last edited by dragonmurph; Jun 21, 2017 at 07:42 PM. Reason: bold header
to remove ads between posts
May 30, 2017, 03:20 PM
Team Hello Kitty
**bump**
May 30, 2017, 06:11 PM
Team Futaba
How I missed this posting is beyond me. Except I'm old and my eyes are bad!! SoaringDude pointed it out to me. Right now I am planning on coming, assuming my schedule works out for me. My boss is a total A-Hole and sometimes I get stuck with work.
May 30, 2017, 06:26 PM
E sailplane thermal hack
Hope your boss doesn't read this

I'm goin
May 30, 2017, 06:30 PM

New Web Page for SBSS F5J Contest

Check out the new F5J Contest web page at http://www.sbss.org/F5J-Contest. There is a great overhead of the field and surrounding terrain.
May 30, 2017, 07:04 PM
Team Futaba
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airman74
Hope your boss doesn't read this

I'm goin
He seems to know everything I do. Watches me like a hawk. Kind of sucks, but I can't quit, he won't let me

Field looks cool. Snagged a room in Gilroy. Used Hilton points for the hotel there.
Jun 05, 2017, 08:21 PM
E sailplane thermal hack
This should be a good comp guys let's sign up!

Jerry
Jun 09, 2017, 06:58 PM
Team Hello Kitty
Hollister is the next stop on the F5J USA Tour. Folks this is a very nice park, lots of green grass for soft landings. Hollister has good places to eat and Gilroy is only 12mi NW with even more places to eat and stay.

The terrain around the park is interesting and varied. There is a ridgeline to the south that is elevated about 80' above the park's grass level and dotted with oaks. There are times where the lift there is very good. Also, to the north there is a treeline and to the NW is the parking lot that also kicks up lift too. Here's a Google Earth view looking from the park toward the ridge (click to magnify):
Name: Field looking S toward ridge.jpg
Views: 52
Size: 185.1 KB
Description:
Note that at ground level you cannot see beyond the ridge's peak.

Maybe some of the SBSS locals can better elaborate on how the field works for them. I've flown there enough to say it is one of my favorite NorCal fields.

Chris
Last edited by SoaringDude; Jun 09, 2017 at 07:28 PM.
Jun 09, 2017, 07:03 PM

F5J at Hollister July 15-16, 2017

I've been looking at a few opportunities for lodging near the venue for F5J at Hollister....July 15-16th, 2017.

Check out :

Betabel RV Park
San Juan Bautista, California

Betabel RV Park
9664 Betabel Rd
San Juan Bautista, California 95045
Phone: (831) 623-2202
Jun 09, 2017, 07:21 PM

Hollister F5J July 15 and 16, 2017

Guys and Gals,
Check out Hotels com for lodging deals in Hollister, San Jaun Bautista, and Gilroy for the comp dates. Hollister is a beautiful small town (close to the venue, 5 minutes), San Jaun Bautista is a historical village (10 Minutes away), and you cannot go wrong by staying in Gilroy(20 minutes away). Your choice.
Dave
Jun 10, 2017, 09:48 PM

Another Camping Option Near Hollister

All,

If you want to camp or RV near the Hollister F5J venue, check out http://www.mcalpinelake.com/Camping-RVs.html. Looks like a fun place.

Dave
Jun 11, 2017, 07:22 PM

F5J at Hollister on www:F3Xevents.com

I just edited the first post in this forum to indicate that registration for F5J at Hollister is now (only) via www:F3Xevents.com. The event is 'OPEN' for registration now. If you registered with me via email, I have to ask you to re-register on F3Xevents. Sorry for this......but having everyone signed up, and paid up beforehand, will streamline the rest of the event.

Thanks,
Dave
Jun 13, 2017, 03:31 PM
Team Hello Kitty

Pilots list

An always up-to-date pilots list is available at this link:
F5J at Hollister Pilots List
Jun 13, 2017, 07:49 PM
I just booked my rooms, I am coming!
Jun 15, 2017, 09:49 AM
E sailplane thermal hack
Not to rush anybody,,,, but,,, there apparently isn't ALOT of nice inexpensive places to Stay RIGHT in Hollister.
The Hollister inn is 2.7mi from the field , and I've heard it's nice. Many of the other places are double its price.
Couple of us booked there. I have NO affiliation with the place. Just passing on info

Jerry

This should be a great comp,, looking foward to it.

Quick Reply