May 22, 2017, 02:37 PM
Site Aspie
Thread OP
Discussion

3D printed 4WD buggy with belt drive or two motors.

I'm trying to make a dual motor buggy. The body I designed today isn't exactly pretty, but it'll work for now. I might make a new one. The shocks will use rubber bands made from bicycle tubing, because it's very durable, and I want as much as possible to be printable.

I'm printing the chassis and body simultaneously right now.
Last edited by Lynxman; May 26, 2017 at 08:33 PM.
to remove ads between posts
May 22, 2017, 04:17 PM
I cant wait to see this!
May 23, 2017, 01:58 AM
I love your monster truck , a buggy is going to be simpler in some ways buy way more challenging in material strength , I look forward to seeing you answer the challenge .
May 23, 2017, 07:55 AM
Site Aspie
Thread OP
I've made the gears stronger than the monster truck, and with the lower torque required to spin smaller wheels I hope it can hold up even with good performance. The drive joints are the same size as on the monster truck.
May 23, 2017, 09:32 AM
Site Aspie
Thread OP
The body paint job is finished. Dark grey, silver and copper paint.The body weight just 73 g with paint, so it's very thin and lightweight for a printed part.
Last edited by Lynxman; May 23, 2017 at 12:01 PM.
May 23, 2017, 03:22 PM
Looks very spacy/futuristic , not really my taste but it's very well done , I'd prefer something a bit more scale but it's just taste not any sort of criticism . Looks like a teasing glimpse of a partial chassis there as well !
May 23, 2017, 03:56 PM
Site Aspie
Thread OP
Moving forward. Everything is finished and ready for prototyping now. I have a plan for belt driven 4wd instead of dual motor setup as an option. I ordered 240 tooth 2mm GT2 belts. which fits exactly between the two intermediate stage axles in the gearboxes with 18t pulleys. A 250 tooth belt fits with 28 tooth pulleys.
Last edited by Lynxman; May 24, 2017 at 10:30 AM.
May 23, 2017, 03:59 PM
Site Aspie
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadio
Looks very spacy/futuristic , not really my taste but it's very well done , I'd prefer something a bit more scale but it's just taste not any sort of criticism . Looks like a teasing glimpse of a partial chassis there as well !
I agree, it's not to my taste either. I will make something more akin to the old Optima body later, I think. Actually I tink it's a little odd that we pretend there is a driver in these cars. They all have windows and a roof, but there is no full scale version of the outrageous designs out there, unless you count cars like Kyosho Scorpion. I wondered if I should give it a more robotic look instead, without any sign of pilot accomodations.
May 24, 2017, 09:56 AM
Site Aspie
Thread OP
The body looks better in real life than in CAD.

Unfortunately I have designed the car so that the motors spin in reverse. Not a problem with brushless or motors with adjustable timing, but it will be a problem with standard can motors. The reason for this is that I went through different changes in the gearbox design, and forgot to mirror when I went with a two stage gearbox. It's not difficult to change. I will just mirror the necessary parts, but the prototype will be a mirror of the release candidate.
May 24, 2017, 12:36 PM
Site Aspie
Thread OP
Any touring car bodies out there that fit 1/10 scale buggies, which are wider than the usual touring car chassis? I'm sure I remember Kyosho and Schumacher making touring cars from buggy chassis back in the good old days.

EDIT:
Found one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/131397338074

One more:
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/SUPER-P-TYPE-...sAAOSwstxU8gjT
Last edited by Lynxman; May 24, 2017 at 12:55 PM.
May 24, 2017, 01:30 PM
Not so much touring cars but some old Tamiya rally cars were 1/10 scale , Audi Quattro , Opel Ascona should fit but I'd research it to be sure .
May 24, 2017, 03:41 PM
Site Aspie
Thread OP
I made a new body design. I like it a little better. It's also lower on the sides.
May 24, 2017, 04:13 PM
Site Aspie
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadio
Not so much touring cars but some old Tamiya rally cars were 1/10 scale , Audi Quattro , Opel Ascona should fit but I'd research it to be sure .
I think they are both too narrow and very short.
May 24, 2017, 08:39 PM
Site Aspie
Thread OP
My favourite filament shop has changed the formula for their PLA. I don't like it. People complained that the old PLA would break off the roll when it was hanging free for hours, like that's a measure of quality. It was because it was hard as nails!

The new one is softer off course, so that it doesn't break as easily in filament form. This means it's not as hard as the old stuff, and I suspect it won't work as well in drive knucles, for example. I hope it works though. I bet they mixed in some ABS. I'm going to try rubbing it with acetone to see if it reacts. Hope I won't have problems with it.
May 25, 2017, 07:19 PM
Site Aspie
Thread OP
New bumper. Suits the car well I think. I will make upper arms and steering links with and without turbuckle holes.

Something that's unusual with my car is how the king pin line actually goes through the tire contact patch. This greatly reduces the load on the servo and reduces how bumps impact steering. I haven't seen this done in RC cars before and I have always wondered why it's not take into account, though I'm sure there are cars that I haven't investigated that do it as well.

The belt drive conversion parts are designed too now and one can decided to use the motor in the rear or in the front, or both, for some silly reason. I will make an adjustable motor mount for the rear motor so that different pinions can be used in this position. The front is limited by clearance to the steering linkages. I need to modify the body to make room for the belt, but that' should be easy.
Last edited by Lynxman; May 25, 2017 at 07:37 PM.

Quick Reply