May 22, 2017, 11:04 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

F550 hexacopter from hell

Hello. I'm new to the forum.I'm live in South Africa I bought a flame wheel F550 kit The branding on the box is hobby siglo. I swooped out the esc that it came with for 6 blheli 30a escs which were 4s compatible. I assembled the whole hexacopter as per instructions. Bound it to my taranis qx7 using a xm+ receiver. All is going well or so I think. Plug in the super 4 6x flight controller setup the dip switches as per manual for sbus. Plug in the 4s lipo. Unlock the motors and just two motors spin. The others all beep constantly. Borrowed a x4r receiver throttle calibrated the escs no change. Bought a naza lite flight controller from a friend. Plug it in use the sofare to setup everything. Naza assistant software shows everything is fine. Finally time to power up. Plug in power esc chime perfectly in sync. Now I'm in business. Unlock the motors two motors react to throttle and the rest seem to be pulsing. Aaargh. Okay last thing to do is to check the esc firmware maybe flash a new firmware. The only thing to do this at the shop in town is a ftDi USB to serial converter by prolific. Google as much as I can about how to flash an esc with this controller and now I'm here. Please help I have owned this brand new hexacopter my first drone ever for two months and havent been able to fly it. Feel like I want to quit while I'm ahead.
to remove ads between posts
May 22, 2017, 02:23 PM
Thread OP
Might need to add what components I have installed.
6 x EMax BLHeli Series 30A ESC (ONESHOT available)
6 x Brushless motor 2212(1000KV)
Naza m lite with GPS no pmu.
Turnigy 4s lipo
Xm+ receiver sbus connected to x2 on naza
Taranis qx7
May 22, 2017, 02:26 PM
Thread OP
Does anyone have a solution to flash my ESC using only a ftdi connector. The model on the ftdi chip is pl-2303hx.
May 22, 2017, 09:42 PM
I think your esc's not calibrated properly.
Did you try the other esc's that came with the frame? with 3S batt if they rated for 3S only..
What is your prop size?
May 22, 2017, 11:18 PM
Thread OP
I don't have those escs swapped them for the 4s escs. Prop size is 1045.
May 23, 2017, 12:21 AM
Just try, maybe work.. don't forget to calibrate the esc's..
Btw, 1045 props to big for 2212-1000kv (4S setup), better with 8-9"
Use 1045 with 3S
May 23, 2017, 06:49 AM
Thread OP
Thanks ariaAQ but i didnt keep the escs. the shop did a straight trade the kit escs for the new escs. so cant even try. i know about the props being a problem. im waiting for new one to arrive.
May 23, 2017, 06:50 AM
Thread OP
okay just to eliminate soldering problems plugged in a friends cc3d flight controller without making any changes the motors run perfectly in sync. So the only thing i can think is the problem is the esc firmware is incompatible with the naza.
May 23, 2017, 09:12 AM
Seem to me I had a problem like this when I had the idle speed set to low on one of my Naza units.
May 23, 2017, 02:11 PM
Fear only fear in life
What happens when you give it some throttle, do the rest of the motors then spin up? If so it is just a esc calibration problem.

You will see on this vid, just after I build one of my hex's that also only 2 motors spool up, much later I did some proper calibration and it was all good, in all honesty it never bothered me.

Small toy copter "flying" (2 min 12 sec)

Let me know before digging any further.
May 29, 2017, 03:21 AM
Thread OP
DiederikHarkema thanks for the reply. When i give it some throttle with the props on it falls over straight away. I have tried esc calibration. Makes no difference. I went out and bought a naze32 to try and flash the esc with vcp cleanflight passthrough. Esc dont have a bootloader apparently. so i gave up on the naza plugged in the naze32 configured everything and it flies like a charm. I have upgraded the naza to the v2 version using the upgrade project. Going to do some testing soon. At the moment just enjoying learning how to fly with the naze32. Just ended up being an expensive exercise. Three flight controllers and a ftdi adapter along with days of reading.

Quick Reply