Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Jul 21, 2017, 09:51 AM
E sailplane thermal hack
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brady Baggs
For some time my X 3.8 F5J first version has needed some improving in the tight turning area. Only because we are now flying so low the thermals are very small, smaller than the plane itself. At one time I was thinking about going with a smaller plane that would be better at turning tight starting so low and able to work the small thermals. But after watching Oleg's Ultima turn slow and almost on the tip. I now know a four meter plane will turn in a three meter thermal.. So my Xplorer when trying to force it to turn that tight would tip stall unless you fly faster at a high bank angle, which in turn killed any chance to climb out in the very light lift. I had some time to make a few changes. I extending the rudder to make it more effective but I also sanded the joiners to get about two more degrees of dihedral. The third change was in backwards aileron differential. All down aileron deflection to almost no up.
I in combination I use snap flaps mixed with this aileron setting only for low thermal flying below 50 meters. I have it on a switch, so all other settings are normal. I usually fly the rudder uncoupled but can switch between coupled rudder and full span with rudder. But found it really makes little difference unless it's turbulent and you need a little extra control.
So I think what the opposite aileron deflection does. First it's half the drag but along with the other mods in a small thermal, 3 meters. I can now bank that tight with out stalling and reasonably slow. I use mostly rudder then a little opposite aileron. The down aileron defection on the inboard wing/ slower wing, has a less tendency to stall. It's sorta like camber but just the inside aileron camber. The faster tip on the outside is clean almost no up. It's a real balancing act flying this way. This is low is risky minimum control right on the edge of a tip stall. I manged a couple of low starts yesterday at 19 meters and 20 meters there where a bunch below 50 meters also. This is about all my X has to offer me in low level light lift performance. In the windy conditions it has no disadvantage. I still probably get something new just not sure what yet.
Interesting adaptions
to remove ads between posts
Jul 24, 2017, 02:01 PM
Oleg Golovidov
Quote:
Originally Posted by glider304guider
I'm going to try and come up from Wilmington Aug 6th if you guys are still planning an informal F5J practice event. I have to put my Pulsar on a diet. It flys great but is way over powered and too heavy. 68ozs!
Duane
Duane, YES please do come.
We are on plan for Aug-6 practice contest.

I hope and pray that the package with a replacement motor for my Ultima comes before then...
Jul 25, 2017, 10:12 PM
Service Engine Soon
I hope to get out and fly this weekend along with cutting the real grass. I missed going to the NATS this year, a lot. So looking forward to Aug 6th and flying in a contest environment again. I was going to reduce the overall weight of my Xplorer by changing the servos to a smaller size and by removing the excess wire, the db 9 connector, ballast tube and using a smaller motor battery. But not sure the 1.5oz reduction is worth all that effort and expense, given it's a robust set up right now. Of course I will probably change my mind after the 5th.
Jul 26, 2017, 01:23 PM
Oleg Golovidov
Brady, I wouldn't bother, you will not notice any real effect probably. Just fly it as is.

My replacement motor came yesterday! Yuppie! I hope to get my Ultima flying by the weekend also. When are you planning to go to the field? Sat or Sun?

Looking forward to the mini-contest on Aug 6th!
Jul 26, 2017, 02:01 PM
Professional sink locator
Quote:
Originally Posted by olgol
Brady, I wouldn't bother, you will not notice any real effect probably. !
Said by the Man that flies a 40 oz Ultima...
Jul 26, 2017, 08:40 PM
MMR
MMR
Martian
Resistance is futile ...
Jul 30, 2017, 07:59 PM
Oleg Golovidov
Field maintenance day today!
Ready for the next weekend F5J mini-event.

---
Aug 06, 2017, 10:01 AM
Oleg Golovidov
We are doing it again!
Aug 06, 2017, 10:42 AM
Oleg Golovidov
I had an unintended low launch but was able to save it...
Aug 06, 2017, 10:55 AM
Team Hello Kitty
Nice flying guys, lots of low launches. I'm impressed. Thanks for posting progress Oleg.
Aug 06, 2017, 11:01 AM
Oleg Golovidov
Brady just did one hell of save from just above the trees way downwind.
Aug 06, 2017, 11:19 AM
Oleg Golovidov
It's getting dicey now.
Windy. But lift is still good.
Brady missed the ride this time
Aug 06, 2017, 11:38 AM
Oleg Golovidov
On lunch break now
Dick just showed up
More rounds soon...
Aug 06, 2017, 12:28 PM
Oleg Golovidov