to remove ads between posts
Jun 11, 2017, 12:01 PM
Professional sink locator
I had a Great time! I think that I like F5J more than ALES, it's more challenging to launch at a lower height and search for lift during your climb out than just launching to 200 meters.

Yeah the ESC issues were very frustrating. This morning I checked all of my batteries again and could not find any problems with any of them.
I downloaded the logs from the ESC, but it has so many flights on it that it is difficult to see any detail.
I'm going to send it to Castle and have them check it out and either replace it or repair it.

The lift at times was unbelievable! During one flight that I was getting way too high, spent over three minutes using 3/4 flap with the nose pointed down and still hit my time.

If your club hasn't tried F5J I wholly encourage you to give it a try, Super fun!
Jun 11, 2017, 12:16 PM
Team Hello Kitty
Congrats on such a great practice contest and thanks for posting all the pics and details! Wow, 10 prelim rounds and 4 flyoff rounds, now THAT'S lots of good F5J practice. You just set a new standard for practice events. Looks like some real battles going on in many rounds. Classic F5J. The more of these we all fly the better we get at F5J strategy. Thanks again for sharing.

Chris
Jun 11, 2017, 06:21 PM
MMR
MMR
Martian
Great to read that you all had a great time!

Sorry I missed it - need to find the time to build my new 'weapon'.

Best

Martin
Jun 11, 2017, 06:22 PM
Service Engine Soon
Oleg + ULTIMA + Light conditions = Impressive
I was out classed out skilled and just outgunned.
I like F5J for sure. It is a real brain teaser to name that thermal in XX meters or less. Then if that's not challenging enough, try 15min flights. It forces you to find a second ride, even in calm conditions. Also about the luck thing. There is none.
I am now thinking serious about upgrading my 5 game with a new plane. I haven't had to for about 3 years.
Jun 30, 2017, 11:37 AM
Oleg Golovidov
We are planning to have another informal F5J practice event on August-6-2017.
Just in case anybody within the driving distance wants to join us!
Self-timing as before.
Jun 30, 2017, 12:48 PM
E sailplane thermal hack
Ya those of us that ARE REALLY into F5J are sorta FORCED into one of the new SUPER planes. They fly AWSOME
Jul 01, 2017, 06:54 AM
I need to set up my Pulsar so I can come up and fly with you guys. I don't have any type of F5J device. Is there a particular one I should order? I'm using a taranis if that matters.
Thanks,
Duane
Jul 01, 2017, 07:10 AM
Ok that's high enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by glider304guider
Is there a particular one I should order?
Hi Duane,
There are several different ones, but the Altis is very popular. Plus you can get its data through your Taranis telemetry.
https://f5j.ca/product/altis-v4
85 CAD is approximately 65 USD.
Jul 01, 2017, 07:28 AM
Duane,
Currently approved limiters are:
Altis v3
Altis v4+
Altis v4
Altis Micro
CAMF5J
Grk Elec Altmr2
Mvario2_JetiBox
RCE #2Basic
RCE Multi 2
SM Unilog 2

Most of us use the Altis 4 or Altis 4+
I also have a extra one that you can use if you want to come and play with us.

Garry
Jul 01, 2017, 07:44 AM
Ok, I'll check out the Altis. Had the day off yesterday, was hoping to get the Pulsar out for a little flying. Unfortunately it rained all day, 6.5inches measured at the airport!
Thanks again,
Duane
Jul 04, 2017, 08:40 AM
Service Engine Soon
For some time my X 3.8 F5J first version has needed some improving in the tight turning area. Only because we are now flying so low the thermals are very small, smaller than the plane itself. At one time I was thinking about going with a smaller plane that would be better at turning tight starting so low and able to work the small thermals. But after watching Oleg's Ultima turn slow and almost on the tip. I now know a four meter plane will turn in a three meter thermal.. So my Xplorer when trying to force it to turn that tight would tip stall unless you fly faster at a high bank angle, which in turn killed any chance to climb out in the very light lift. I had some time to make a few changes. I extending the rudder to make it more effective but I also sanded the joiners to get about two more degrees of dihedral. The third change was in backwards aileron differential. All down aileron deflection to almost no up.
I in combination I use snap flaps mixed with this aileron setting only for low thermal flying below 50 meters. I have it on a switch, so all other settings are normal. I usually fly the rudder uncoupled but can switch between coupled rudder and full span with rudder. But found it really makes little difference unless it's turbulent and you need a little extra control.
So I think what the opposite aileron deflection does. First it's half the drag but along with the other mods in a small thermal, 3 meters. I can now bank that tight with out stalling and reasonably slow. I use mostly rudder then a little opposite aileron. The down aileron defection on the inboard wing/ slower wing, has a less tendency to stall. It's sorta like camber but just the inside aileron camber. The faster tip on the outside is clean almost no up. It's a real balancing act flying this way. This is low is risky minimum control right on the edge of a tip stall. I manged a couple of low starts yesterday at 19 meters and 20 meters there where a bunch below 50 meters also. This is about all my X has to offer me in low level light lift performance. In the windy conditions it has no disadvantage. I still probably get something new just not sure what yet.
Jul 04, 2017, 01:53 PM

Broke my Boom...

Moved to my blog to keep the thread on track
Last edited by GarryOgilvie; Jul 05, 2017 at 04:55 PM. Reason: Moved to my blog
Jul 04, 2017, 03:57 PM
As above.
Last edited by GarryOgilvie; Jul 05, 2017 at 04:59 PM. Reason: Moved to my blog
Jul 21, 2017, 09:25 AM
I'm going to try and come up from Wilmington Aug 6th if you guys are still planning an informal F5J practice event. I have to put my Pulsar on a diet. It flys great but is way over powered and too heavy. 68ozs!
Duane

Quick Reply