DESS club F5J practice events - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
May 22, 2017, 10:26 AM
Oleg Golovidov
Discussion

DESS club F5J practice events

Our small RC soaring club, Down East Soaring Society located at our new field in Farmville, NC, had a single day F5J-Lite practice event yesterday!

We are planning to have another one just like the yesterday's event, on June-10-2017, Saturday. All of you are welcome to join us if you are within a driving distance and are able to come for one day. Approximate time for the June-10 mini-event between 10am and 6pm.

We are also slowly working up to a full 2-day F5J event later this year that we will register on the F5J Tour and hope to see many of you there. The potential time frame for the F5J Tour event is November. We welcome your comments on that.

Yesterday we had 8 pilots and flew 10 rounds, self-timing. Dick could not come until after lunch, so he only flew in the last 4 rounds. The weather was great. Mostly overcast, so not too hot, very little wind, good thermals. In all rounds there were several pilots getting a full 10 minute time.

One unfortunate accident happened when Jim lost track of his Osprey-2 during the climb out because he launched from behind others and was watching other planes to avoid collisions. His Osprey-2 went into the ground hard on the adjacent field and sustained major damage

My Ultima decided to have an electrical problem yesterday - the wing did not want to connect to the receiver signal. This despite the fact that I flew it the day before and all worked fine... I used an S-bus converter in the wing. It is really convenient for installation, only one regular servo connector. But it does not allow for any on-field troubleshooting or repairs. I had no way to swap a receiver and/or try driving one servo at a time from another channel. I will likely have to remove the S-bus converter and install a regular wing harness...

I was really glad that I re-equipped and setup my (very) old modified Radian on my current radio the day before, and brought it with me just in case if I would need a backup. I was forced to join Frank Dumas in the Radian league... It was still lots of fun and quite a challenge to compete against others flying 4m ships Luckily there was usually enough lift to stay for 10 minutes even with a Radian. Although it required a much higher launch and much more careful flight and landing approach. These things sink like a sack of potatoes without any lift I missed the big lift in round 2 and spent too much time in hopes of climbing up in small bubbles until I could not make it back to the field... Had to power up and get a zero. There were a few other zeros due to power-up saves.

In one round when circling a half mile downwind my Radian lost its wing tip to Brady's Xplorer! The small size of the Radian makes it totally impossible to judge its depth relative to 4m planes. I saw the collision as my Radian wiggled left-right noticeably. Brady says he did not even see anything. Well, my clipped wing tip proves that he tried to take me out of competition the easy way...

We had our usual setup with the sound system, laptop and printer for scoring. I even printed the total scores a few times
Most launches were above 100m, some even above 200m. The Radian league was launching close to 200m. Frank actually often launched to 210-230m. There were some launches in the 60-100m range of course.

I will post the full flight scores later for browsing.

--
Last edited by olgol; Jun 21, 2017 at 04:14 PM.
to remove ads between posts
May 22, 2017, 12:36 PM
Just Plane Nuts
Hi Oleg - can you explain the modified wingtips on your Radian ?
Louie
May 22, 2017, 01:01 PM
Oleg Golovidov
Louie,
the wing tips are just styrofoam painted with acrylic color. They attach via a small plywood tongue and tape. It is difficult to tell whether they actually improved the glide but they certainly intimidate the opponents as proven by the incident above and make the Radian look special
May 22, 2017, 04:47 PM
Service Engine Soon
I like F5J it rewards thermal reading. Our field is a little difficult to start at anything lower than 60 meters. Because it's not so much of an open area compared to out west. But I found the trick is to go full power quickly to about 60 meters then throttle back fly around until you think you are in the lift. A couple times I found lift in about ten second ,so what to do with the other 20 seconds was a problem? I tried once to keep the motor on and had to push the nose down and try not to gain altitude. This was more difficult than just shutting the motor off early as the plane quickly built up a lot of speed resulting in loss of thermal indications from the plane. I flew well but left plenty of room on the landings for Oleg and his Ultima to take first. That flight where I clipped Oleg's Radian. I knew it was getting close as we both shifted right at the same time. I am glad it was a foam plane as I had no indication in flight as to the impact and no damage to my plane. The way the tip was sheared off makes me think it was high speed impact at the tips. We where way out there it could been very bad day if my elevator got damage. Next time fomies get the right of way.
Looking forward to more F5J
May 22, 2017, 06:08 PM
Professional sink locator
I had a great time!

Flying F5J was alot more fun than what I had thought.

Like Brady I'm looking forward to more F5J events and more club events at our new field.
May 22, 2017, 07:36 PM
Oleg Golovidov
Detailed scores/round times/landing points/etc. are posted here
DESS-F5J-Lite-May-21-2017
May 22, 2017, 08:06 PM
Team Hello Kitty
Sounds like you guys had a great F5J event. 10 rounds is lots of F5J practice! Glad the self-timing thing worked for you too.

Would be great to see a Tour event in November--that month is very open.

Chris
May 23, 2017, 01:18 PM
It was fun. This is my take ? We launched 7-8 planes at one time. Circled the thermals like buzzards in a bunch. Avoid collisions. Hmm pretty addictive with a bunch.
I am ready for the next outing
May 23, 2017, 09:08 PM
MMR
MMR
Martian
One flight made my day:
I saw a buzzard circling low far back over the trees. OK - read in the bag! I turn hard, keep the plane nice and low and zip back there. When I get close, the bird leaves (probably laughing having suckered me) and now I'm low way back over the trees and the 30 seconds are up.
So I head back bumping here and there but really no defined lift. After an eternity barely mainting height I finally luck into real lift and was able to finish the full time.

I will get the log off the Altis and post it - when I have some time. Prepping for 3 T is more important right now

Martin
May 24, 2017, 11:17 AM
Martin,

Have a great time at the Mid South and I'll see you at the Polecat!

Dave R.
May 30, 2017, 12:52 PM
Oleg Golovidov
Just a reminder, in case there are interested out-of-town pilots...

We are planning to have another practice event just like the above event, on June-10-2017, Saturday.
All of you are welcome to join us if you are within a driving distance and are able to come for one day.
Approximate time June-10 between 10am and 6pm.
Unless we have a lot of attendees, this will be a laid back, single group, self-timing practice event.

Please post or email me if you are interested in coming!
Jun 03, 2017, 05:00 PM
Professional sink locator
I mowed or field today and was quite impressed on how the grass is beginning to fill out.
Five months ago this land was a soybean field.

It's really looking nice!

Come play with us next Saturday.
Jun 04, 2017, 09:50 PM
Oleg Golovidov
Garry, thanks for mowing the field!!!
Can't wait for next weekend.
Looking forward to another F5J practice.
I made a few flights on my Ultima yesterday at the Raleigh farmers market field after the hand launch practice

--
Jun 08, 2017, 10:36 AM
Oleg Golovidov
We are still on for this Saturday!
Practice F5J mini-contest.
Self-timing.
Visitors are welcome to join us!
(use the link in the first message if you need directions to the field)
Jun 11, 2017, 12:15 PM
Oleg Golovidov
We had an outstanding soaring day yesterday at our club field.
6 pilots showed up for the F5J mini-contest.
The weather was picture perfect. A bit too hot, near 90F high temps. Little wind. Good thermals. In the afternoon the air warmed up so much the thermals weakened a lot and when a cloud covered the sun it was very difficult to find a decent thermal.

We flew 10 preliminary rounds. Then 6 best pilots out of 6 proceeded to the fly-offs and flew 4 rounds of 15 minute tasks. Jim was not able to continue flying due to equipment problems, so we actually had only 5 pilots in the fly-offs.

Jim was using my modified (wing tips) Radian, because he crashed his Osprey-2 a month ago (see pics above). Unfortunately, for unknown reasons the signal got lost during one of the launches and the Radian crashed under power into the ground. Not much damage surprisingly, but Jim was not able to continue after that.

Garry had persistent problems with his power system, we suspect the ESC. It kept cycling and not making any power, so Garry had numerous launches that stopped at 4-6 meters as evidenced by the scores.

Right from the beginning there were a few aggressive (low) launches and some short or zero flight times. This happened throughout the day also, a few pilots sometimes could not stay up after a launch that was a bit too aggressive.

I am not posting pics of the scores below, but I will post a PDF where it may be easier to read the round scores.

I hope others will chime in and tell their personal stories of the day.

For me the most memorable round was definitely the 3rd fly-off round. Both Brady and I launched into a thermal behind us just above the trees. We climbed well for 3-4 minutes and then I realized that I lost the thermal and when coming back the plane lost nearly all altitude. I was just above the forest and ready to turn on the motor. I told Brady several times "I screwed up!". I still kept hoping and taking a circle here and there when I felt the air was good, but nothing was strong enough to take me up. I almost powered up several times. Then I got to the edge of the field and the tree line, hoping the the light breeze would create enough slope lift to keep me up for a little more. I kept going left-right and taking small bubbles for 2-3 circles just at the tree height. Still nothing was strong enough. Remember this is a 15 minute task and only about 5 minutes into the flight, so I knew the score was going to be really bad Then after a couple minutes of this battle I see Brady's plane actually got in my field of vision, not very high! Then he got lower and eventually ended up right near me on the tree line! All the while I kept taking tiny bubbles up for 2 circles and coming back to the tree line. Eventually Brady lands! and right at that moment I lined up for landing and felt another tiniest thermal, decided 'what the heck, lets try one more time' and circled again. And the plane went up for several circles! Then continued climbing and finished a full 15 minute flight! Brady got 9+ minutes. My knees were weak after the flight I never circled my Ultima so slow and tight near the ground.

--