May 22, 2017, 12:33 AM
Discussion

Altitude Hold adjustment with Vector

Hello,

My Vector is effectively holding altitude in 2DH at indicated airspeeds above 30mph, while below 30mph in 2DH the aircraft begins to sink. However, when I take manual control, I can maintain altitude all the way down to about 23mph before the aircraft sinks with full-back elevator input. I'd like to get Altitude Hold to work in this slower speed range (23-30mph).

The aircraft is a 40" flying wing with elevons.

I've tried adjusting the altitude hold gain, but that doesn't seem to help the issue. It does affect how smooth or bouncy the hold is above 30mph, but doesn't seem to be any more effective at holding altitude while traveling more slowly.

Are there any other settings to change that effect altitude hold behavior? Is there a servo throw limit on altitude hold commands such as 50% of the total servo range? I have tried both manual throttle control and pitot cruise control with similar results.

Thanks for any help.

-Ian
to remove ads between posts
May 22, 2017, 07:08 AM
I'd be mad without a Taranis!
Are your cruise and climb throttle settings high enough in the Vector to maintain altitude at your min airspeed requirement of 23 mph? Is your min airspeed set at 23 mph in the vector?
May 22, 2017, 12:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rups63
Are your cruise and climb throttle settings high enough in the Vector to maintain altitude at your min airspeed requirement of 23 mph? Is your min airspeed set at 23 mph in the vector?
I think cruise throttle is set high enough and climb is set to 100% throttle. Min ground speed is set to 16 and the bottom of cruise control is set to 20.

I've read warnings that when in altitude hold, the vector can stall the aircraft if not enough airspeed is held / not enough throttle is applied. In a sense I'm trying to get the vector to be able to stall the aircraft, but it wont. I want the vector to hold altitude right up until the point of a stall, but 2DH settles into a gentle decent once below 5-7 mph faster than stall speed.