May 21, 2017, 10:09 AM
Crashing with style
Thread OP
Discussion

Microaces Aero Fokker D.VIII

Well it all started out as an experiment into using a pull-pull control - primarily in preparation for designing the Avro DH2 - which will be easier to get right with this type of system.

When designing the Dr.1, and as everything started to fall into place, thoughts turned to the DH2 and how design an elegant control system to get around the pusher prop.

Well, the only clear way seemed to be by using the same method that the original aircraft had, but how well would it work as this scale?

Through some strange thought process that I cant quite recollect, I convinced myself that it would be a good idea to try the pull-pull setup on something relatively simple first, just as an experiment. Well the experimental phase didn't last long when I realized a new kit could be born in the process.

My apologies to all those who were promised a DH2 next. I've just gathered all the technical info I need to get cracking on it - and it should be a better kit for the development of the D8 first

FokkerD.VIII on the bench - aileron and rudder on the same servo. (0 min 55 sec)

I have John Lay Flurrie to thank for the suggestion that I hook up the rudder and aileron controls - and in-fact it was desperately easy to achieve too. Test flight this evening if the wind dies - or Wednesday this week failing that.
to remove ads between posts
May 21, 2017, 01:38 PM
Ailerons! Great job, and a spinning rotary too. Will there be an aileron option on future versions of your Fokkers? I guess you need to do the test flight of this one first. Looking forward to hearing how this works.

Jim
May 22, 2017, 11:21 AM
This is a fun touch! Very creative... just need to keep good tension on the lines. In the past I've tried different types of cables (string, Kevlar, carbon...) some need to be tightened a couple times after several flights. Others hold tension better...

Dan

I love the D8! (I voted for it)
May 23, 2017, 04:35 AM
Fly light, keep it slow.
Looking really good, Jon!

I have used coupled Aileron and Rudder successfully on my Fly Baby biplane conversion, both working off a single linear servo on the AR6400 board.. just kept the rudder deflections enough to kill the adverse yaw in the turn.

Looking forward to my kit, but please don't rush the pre-production trials!
May 23, 2017, 01:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbird
Through some strange thought process that I cant quite recollect, ....
You too, huh? Outstanding outcome, nevertheless!

Quote:
... I hook up the rudder and aileron controls... .
Meaning they are coupled ... or you added a servo?

Should be a top seller in your amazing lineup.

Gene K
May 23, 2017, 03:42 PM
Crashing with style
Thread OP
Snuck out this evening just as the light was fading. No wind an a little courage so I was up for the maiden.

I wasn't expecting too much out of the first flight but you always hope you've done it right and it flies right off the bat.

Well this time hope was rewarded in spades with a near perfect performance. The (coupled) ailerons and rudder did an amazing job at keeping the roll stability in check and pushing the D8 around the corners. It was so controllable I was able to fly one handed and film a few passes although the light was appalling and the phone was struggling to focus. (I'll upload it shortly)

ROG was smooth, slow speed performance was beyond what I thought the single wing could achieve and stall was easy to deal with, with that high wing. It could do with a little more weight up front - which I'll save for the next outing, but all in all I was on cloud 9 walking off the field.
May 23, 2017, 04:26 PM
Congratulations for a great piece of work. I'm so glad you tried ailerons and I'm looking forward to seeing how you did it.

Jim
May 23, 2017, 05:06 PM
Crashing with style
Thread OP
This is grainy and short because of the light and me filming & flying at the same time. I did get plenty more footage of some touch and go's and some low level passes too but they were so blurred I decided to can them and get more next time.

Microaces Fokker DVIII Maiden (0 min 55 sec)
May 23, 2017, 06:51 PM
Oh! Just love model
Dang, that is a good looking plane. Nice rustic flying site too.

August
May 23, 2017, 07:05 PM
Congrats on the maiden, sweet little flyer you've got there

Dan
May 23, 2017, 07:09 PM
Great work Jon!!
Ray
May 23, 2017, 10:59 PM
Beautiful job on the Aero Fokker D.VIII! Looks like it flew great in the video on the first flight. My question how is the roll rate using your pull pull system? I am interested to see if she can perform rolls, and other basic aerobatic maneuvers.

Joe.
May 24, 2017, 03:31 AM
Crashing with style
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Malinchak
I am interested to see if she can perform rolls, and other basic aerobatic maneuvers.

Joe.
I did a few upward corkscrews during the few minutes I had with the light fading - I'd like to say it was deliberate

As for roll, due to the rudder and ailerons being physically linked and the rudder being quite authoritative, even though I had put it onto the closest hole to the centre of the aileron control arm, it quickly caused the aircraft to descend with full aileron deflection. You can see in the images below the inner hole in the control arm that the rudder has been attached to.

I dare say it could be toned down by adding a further hole on the arm for the rudder to link too. I'll probably throw it around a bit more next time with the intention of a full roll so will use more elevator in the maneuver.
May 24, 2017, 07:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbird
As for roll, due to the rudder and ailerons being physically linked and the rudder being quite authoritative ...
Ingenious "coupler". Any idea, Jon, how the weight of that compares to a typical linear servo?

Gene K
May 24, 2017, 02:36 PM
Crashing with style
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy01
Ingenious "coupler". Any idea, Jon, how the weight of that compares to a typical linear servo?
Just weighed all the components including the self tapper. Came in at 0.2g. With the glue it's probably closer to 0.3g but still minimal when compared to a linear servo.

Quick Reply