This thread is privately moderated by old4570, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
May 21, 2017, 12:14 AM
Thread OP
Mini-Review

iRangeX IRX4 Multi protocol module

Product Page

iRangeX IRX4 Multi Protocol Module ... A user perspective !
Sent by banggood.com for review

I think I saw the first multi protocol module about a year or so ago and thought , what a fantastic idea . I actually purchased my 9XR pro with the original module in mind . Reading the add at banggood it said that there was a V2 in the works so I thought I would wait . It's about 6 months since I decided to wait and I am sort of glad I did . Every now and again I like to window shop ( and spend some $$ ) so while looking at batteries on BG I spied the iRangeX IRX4 which did appear to be the updated multi protocol module , a very hasty Email enquiry confirmed my suspicions and a IRX4 was on its way .

OpenTx 2.2.0 RC18 N371

I have to talk about the firmware . You need openTx 2.2 to suport the multi protocol module . openTx is a firmware development for Taranis ( FrSky ) transmitters . Now the claim is that you can install openTx on all 9x variant transmitters ( Taranis 9x - Flysky 9x - Turnigy 9x / XR / XR pro ) . There is little choice in this regard , you need firmware that will support the multi protocol module . I was able to get all the software / firmware and install openTx on my 9XR pro transmitter . I installed the software AETR and for some reason it was RETA , but you can re assign channels in the Tx ( Which I did ) . Unfortunately for me the trims remained with the sticks , so adjusting trim on Aileron actually adjusted the trim on the rudder . ( Yeah , openTx is more or less BETA or pre release ) .

Anyhow , I was able to bind to :
WL Toys 959 Quad , Eachine H8 mini , Walkera QR W100s , Orange DSM2 RX , another mini DSM2 RX ( I forget which one ) , as well a Flysky FS R6B 6 channel RX . It took me some 20 something attempts to bind the Walkera quad to my Devo 7e and only one attempt to bind it to the IRX4 .
 After about 4 or 5 hours of play with openTx it crashed and burned , I lost all settings and it was back to a clean slate . (?) Oh dear , not very good I have to tell you . I re flashed the firmware and now openTx froze on start up , hell I could not even turn the transmitter off . ( Not looking good for openTx and my 9XR pro ) I was a little frustrated for sure and it seems the issue was the micro SD card . So I formatted the card , removed all files and software associated with openTx from my computer . I literally started from the beginning , downloading everything again . So with everything freshly installed I re flashed the 9XR pro , and everything seems to be running fine . But I have to say that at this point I kind of lost confidence in openTx ..

ER9x ( rev 821 )

There is another choice , and that choice is er9x . I have er9x installed on my 9XR transmitter ( since I was playing with firmware ) and the 9XR is factory installed with a cut down version of er9x , so why not flash to the full version ? ER9x also supports multi protocol modules , and everything I did with the openTx I did with er9x . And at this time I might suggest that anyone with a 9XR ( maybe even a 9x ) might want to consider flashing er9x to their transmitter rather than openTx simply because er9x is a 9x - 9XR build ( target transmitter for the firmware )  .. So enough about the firmware .

ErSky9xr

???????? It might support multi protocol ( push pull rather than open drain ) I haven't tried it so ?

IRX4 module

I only have one issue with the module that I will get out of the way before praising the heck out of the iRangeX IRX4 . The locking tabs stick straight out , they are not folded like the Flysky module or Orange Tx module or FrSky modules . This makes removal of the module some what tricky if not problematic . In my 9XR pro its tricky to remove and in my 9XR its impossible to remove without something very pointy ( like a knife ) that grips the module and allows you to lever it out . ( A bit of fopar I'm afraid - see pictures ) On the + side , the module fits my transmitters as well if not better than OEM modules .
 Aside from the slight oversight , the IRX4 module simply rocks .  Which ever firmware you chose to use , there is just so many models to bind to . In this regard I can vouch for models and receivers on hand . WL Toys 959 Quad , Eachine H8 mini , Walkera QR W100s , Orange DSM2 RX , another mini DSM2 RX ( I forget which one ) , as well a Flysky FS R6B 6 channel RX . I have a quad that has a FrSky Rx but I got side tracked by openTx crashing and distracting me . ( Such is life ) So far I have been seriously impressed by the simple fact that I have gotten binds on the first attempt , obviously after some experimentation to see what works . ( I haven't seen any instructions for binding )

Binding process ( That works for me )

Under setup in the menu , chose multiprotocol for your module .
  Then chose the protocol and sub protocol you want to use .
  There is a BND ( bind option ) in the menu , I highlight this ready to put the Tx into bind mode . ( Activated by the menu key )
 Power your model or RX ( with bind plug for RX ) and then hit the menu key ..
 The bind is usually almost instantaneous and at worst a few seconds ..  
I used this method with both openTx and er9x and the success rate is the same ( 100% )

Epilogue

This is supposed to be a iRangeX IRX4 review , but the firmware needed is so much apart of the product experience . The firmware is very much experimental in nature and this may very well dictate your experience far more than the multi protocol module itself . Ever since returning to RC I have wanted something to eliminate all the Transmitters one needs to own to play with all the Micro / Mini helicopters and quads out on the market today ( or even half a decade ago ) . One of my pet peeves is the toy transmitters bundled with these mini / micro RC craft , they are often rubbish and give users a less than fantastic product experience . The ability to use a better than toy grade transmitter often makes the RC product that was bundled with a nasty Tx fly as well as products costing far more . Thus has been my experience so far , take my Eachine H8 mini as an example . Bundled with a some what rubbish toy controller this humble little quad becomes absolutely fantastic when bound to something like a 9XR ( Same goes for my WL Toys 959 Quad ) .
So many of these Mini / Micro machines are hampered by their controllers rather than some inherent design flaw . Being able to bind to a better transmitter brings out the best in these little beasts and just puts a smile on your dial rather than frustrating you with their poor handling and response . The iRangeX IRX4 makes mini / micro RC fun again giving you the opportunity to buy that BNF model you have been wanting with the knowledge it is going to be bound to a decent transmitter rather than something unresponsive and vague .

I love the iRangeX IRX4 , so far the ER9x firmware seems to be working well in my 9XR . It is such a shame that the firmware will dictate the user experience so much as the IRX4 is such a fantastic product . Would I recommend the iRangeX IRX4 , yes I would ( To date its fantastic ) . Again , you cant use the IRX4 without openTx or er9x . So if you own Taranis you will go with openTx and if you own Turnigy you might want to consider er9x as er9x is ported for 9x - 9XR ( 9XR pro users can chose between openTx and ersky9xr ) I don't know that ersky9xr supports multiprotocol ( it just might ) .
 Lets forget about the Tx firmware for a moment . The IRX4 module has been fantastic , binds on the first attempt and no issues so far ( yeah the locking tabs - not a deal breaker ) . The module has been working and working really well simply impressing the heck out of me . From my experience so far , I give the iRangeX IRX4 9 out of 10 .

Is there anything I would like to see : Well , the locking tabs need to be changed . As well I would love to see a micro USB connector ( accessible from the back of the module ) for future firmware upgrades .  I have been left thoroughly impressed by the IRX4 to date , and I can only hope that this concept gets stronger and better in the future .
I would like to take this opportunity to thank the folks at banggood for making the iRangeX IRX4 available to me for review / testing ( Thank you )

iRange IRX4 Multi protocol module from Banggood (3 min 36 sec)

iRange IRX4 bound to Walkera QR W100s (1 min 0 sec)

iRangeX IRX4 bound to Eachine H8 Mini (1 min 3 sec)

iRangeX IRX4 Turnigy 9XR running er9x bound to my WL959 (1 min 1 sec)

iRangeX IRX4 - Turnigy 9XR running er9x bound to Eachine H8 mini (1 min 1 sec)

iRangeX IRX4 bound to Walkera QR W100s ( Turnigy 9XR / er9x firmware ) (1 min 0 sec)
Last edited by old4570; Jul 01, 2017 at 01:26 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 30, 2017, 03:50 AM

Binding and Irangex IRX 4 in 1 setup

I have recently bought a Turnigy 9xr pro with Irangaex 4in1 module.
I loaded the latest frimware of Ersky9xr version-220.
my problem is that I am not able to bind the radio with my OrangeRx R920X V2 9Ch 2.4GHz DSM2/DSMX.
In the radio i have setup:
With in the model setup in the protocol:disable the internal moduleselected external modulesetup proto to Multisetup protocol to DSMsetup Type to
DSMX-11, or DSMX-22
Setup Autobind to N.
In addition in the telemetry setup: Usr Proto: DSMx
Yet I am unable to bind with my OrangeRx 920x v2 DSM2/DSMX reciver.
Attached please find a youtube video in which I am showing what I have done.
Binding problem with Irangex IRx4 4 in 1 with Turnigy 9xr pro and orange R920x v2 (1 min 38 sec)

It seems that the module is not powered the 2 green led od the module are extinguished.
Can you elaborate about the neccery setup?
David
Jun 30, 2017, 10:16 AM
Thread OP
Your process looks correct ...

I have ER9x on my 9XR ... and Open Tx on my 9XR pro ...

I pulled out my 9XR , put the module in ..
Selected the multi protocol module ...
DSM , DSM2-22 , Autobind is N

Bound it to my Orange Rx ... First time no problems ...
Hmmmmm , Are you the 2nd person to have issue with ERsky 9x and binding to DSM receivers . I would suggest trying
DSM - DSM2-22 , and if that does not work you may want to try Open Tx and see if it works .
I guess there is a possibility the module has problems ...

Recently I have discovered some sort of Issue with the module and my 9XR pro .. That causes Open Tx to freeze after being turned on ..
???? Is it the pins ???? But my 9XR with ER9x has no such issue ...
I was thinking of trying ERsky 9x on my 9XR pro
Jul 01, 2017, 10:16 AM
Well I tried under MULTi protocol DSM type DSM2-22, DSMX-22
no sucsses. In order to prove my self that my radio and my reciver are ok, I have took a module (Orange Internal Module with telemetry) set the correct setup and evrything worked ok. I am adding a link to a youtube video in which my last try is shown.
Irangex IRX4 4 in 1 module with Turunigy 9xr pro operating issues (6 min 55 sec)

What am I doing wrong??
Jul 01, 2017, 10:56 AM

Binding and Irangex IRX 4 in 1 setup

Hi I have tried the setup of protocol with DSM, TYPE DSMX-22 or DSM2-22 and AUTO. None of them worked.
Sice I needed a profe that my radio and my reciver are ok, I have installed another module (Orange Internal module with telemetry) after the correct setup evrytrhing worked ok. I am adding a link to a youtube video that described my last try.
Irangex IRX4 4 in 1 module with Turunigy 9xr pro operating issues (6 min 55 sec)

What am I doing wrong
Jul 01, 2017, 10:12 PM
Thread OP
It looks to me like you are doing everything right ...

1) Perhaps its a ERsky 9x issue (?) , you may want to try Open Tx

STM32 4in1 Multi Protocol Module iRangeX IRX4 for FrSky Taranis Radio Transmitter OpenTX QX7 X9D 9XR (16 min 59 sec)

2) The other obvious thing is that the module might be faulty ..

??? There is unfortunately too many options for things to go NQR ..
I am not taking into consideration that the firmware was correctly installed .
Jul 02, 2017, 02:00 PM
Can you direct me to a good manual/video that discribes how to install openTx, do I need to install preivius version (2.1), or can I install directly version 2.2?
Jul 02, 2017, 04:48 PM
Thread OP
I have posted a Video , 9XR pro is covered toward the end of the video , but the process is the same ..

Download companion 2.2 for the latest build .
Set up the functions you want , such as heli - multi protocol module ..
Downolad the latest build

Make sure you have all the files you need on the micro USB card and install the firmware in the correct folder ..

Or you may be able to load the firmware VIA USB cable

U want to watch this video :

STM32 4in1 Multi Protocol Module iRangeX IRX4 for FrSky Taranis Radio Transmitter OpenTX QX7 X9D 9XR (16 min 59 sec)
Jul 26, 2017, 08:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsahar
Well I tried under MULTi protocol DSM type DSM2-22, DSMX-22
no sucsses. In order to prove my self that my radio and my reciver are ok, I have took a module (Orange Internal Module with telemetry) set the correct setup and evrything worked ok. I am adding a link to a youtube video in which my last try is shown.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUNUNRvBYb8&t=46s
What am I doing wrong??

The breakthrough for me was finding out " AETR" is required.

Running 9XR-PRO to Spektrum RXs with SAFE or AS3X using the new IRangeX-Multi works perfectly if I set:

1) "Radio Setup", "Controls" to = AETR.
2) "MODELSEL", "Mixer" to:
"-100 Ail (40% EXPO)
125 Ele (40% EXPO)
80 Thr (throttle too low will not arm)
-100 Rud"
Ch5 =
...."-100 FULL ID^"
...."+100FULL ID-"
Ch6 =
"125 Full !AIL"
3) "Protocol"
"External Module" = check
"Proto": "Multi"" RxNum" = 1
"Protocol" = DSM
"Type" = DSMX-22
"Autobind" = N, "Option" = 0
"Power" = High, "Rate" = 7ms
"1st Chan" =1
"Bind" (Put model in Bind first)
4) "MODELSEL", "TELEMETRY"
"UsrProto" = "DSMx"

Be sure an look at the links in the post:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...postcount=1899
Last edited by OwlPic; Jul 26, 2017 at 09:00 PM.
Sep 27, 2017, 11:30 AM

iRangeX IRX4 Multi protocol module

I myself found that reading the multi detailed description on the Banggood site, the AETR channel order is stated.
Those having issues may want to go over the details of operation before using.

“Multiprotocol hex/bin files attached have been compiled with the source files dated of 19/12/2016 using the default settings AETR, telemetry enabled, serial mode enabled and ppm mode enabled using default table. INV versions have inverted telemetry set which is a must for OpenTX while the others are compatible with er9x/ersky9x.”
Last edited by showmaster; Sep 27, 2017 at 01:04 PM.
Oct 27, 2017, 07:28 PM
DZD
DZD
Hi guys, I'm at that stage of realising about protocol compatibility and investing in a good transmitter for all your quads is a good idea, but still getting my head around all the protocols.

Long story short, I'm looking at the taranis (x9d or x7), some fellow pilots use multi modules with their transmitter, I'm thinking of doing the same. However, I currently have the Turnigy Evolution with several ia6c receivers on my quads (which I think is afhds 2a protocol!? Which I'm sensing is a less compatible protocol -_-).

Does anyone know if this multi module bind a Taranis to my ia6c receivers?
Oct 27, 2017, 08:12 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by DZD
Hi guys, I'm at that stage of realising about protocol compatibility and investing in a good transmitter for all your quads is a good idea, but still getting my head around all the protocols.

Long story short, I'm looking at the taranis (x9d or x7), some fellow pilots use multi modules with their transmitter, I'm thinking of doing the same. However, I currently have the Turnigy Evolution with several ia6c receivers on my quads (which I think is afhds 2a protocol!? Which I'm sensing is a less compatible protocol -_-).

Does anyone know if this multi module bind a Taranis to my ia6c receivers?
UPDATE !
AFHDS 2A = I just bound my FS IA6B 2A Rx

OPEN TX has a FS 2A setting in the menu ... BG says the IRX4 may not support AFHDS 2A ...
So I will test and see if I can get a bind ...
Last edited by old4570; Oct 29, 2017 at 05:42 PM.
Oct 28, 2017, 02:12 PM
DZD
DZD
Hey cheers for the prompt reply, saves me a bit of money from buying the wrong thing at least!

What are your thoughts on something like this?

https://www.banggood.com/2_4G-CC2500...p-1153902.html

If I'm reading it correctly, it lists AFHDS 2A as a compatible protocol, and I note one of the reviews states they're using it on their Taranis. Yet the board looks identical minus the required soldering and case =/
Oct 28, 2017, 10:23 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by DZD
Hey cheers for the prompt reply, saves me a bit of money from buying the wrong thing at least!

What are your thoughts on something like this?

https://www.banggood.com/2_4G-CC2500...p-1153902.html

If I'm reading it correctly, it lists AFHDS 2A as a compatible protocol, and I note one of the reviews states they're using it on their Taranis. Yet the board looks identical minus the required soldering and case =/
Interesting ... I have no first or second hand knowledge on that module .
There is apparently a new Tx on the way that will do the same as these modules ... Will run deviation . ( I hope to get my hands on one when the production versions become available ) Currently in Development ..

There was an early release of the transmitter , but currently not available to anyone but developers . ( might pay to wait )
Oct 29, 2017, 05:46 PM
Thread OP
I just bound my FS IA6B 2A receiver to the IRX4 ...

Settings are :

Multi - FS 2A - PWM,IBUS - CH1-12

Seems to work ok ...

Using those same settings I bound my TGY - iA10 2A receiver ..

I was also able to bind my Park Fly FS-IA6 2A

This little Rx is notorious for not binding ...
I found the trick is to do the bind procedure , and then pull the bind plug before turning of the Rx and you get a permanent bind ,

I dont have any other Rx to test but these do seem to bind just fine ( AFHDS 2A )
OpenTx 9XR pro

I got a bind on both SBUS and IBUS , so just be sure to use PWM
Last edited by old4570; Oct 29, 2017 at 09:07 PM.

Quick Reply