This thread is privately moderated by rockiesguy, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
May 20, 2017, 01:41 PM
Thread OP
Build Log

Colors, schemes and cammo

I'm trying this media to gather advice on cheap but best brands to paint over foam and other coverings...done 200 times, but never in the HHOOTTTTTT Arizona's summers.

For starters I got this HSD Mirage, typical EPO, painted over the original pain, but after a little treatment.

I used Rustoleum Ultra paints as I used to paint my patio furniture while living in Colorado (where you can go through 4 seasons in one week !)

Once again, it is EPO with a factory coat (color scheme) of Latex, scuffed with 000 steel wool, then 50/50 water-glue- treatment, then the spray thing over...decals still pending..would be water-slide one made on my computer...then a last coat all over to seal and matte it (make it flat non-shining)..

Got a CARF Europort doing nothing in the garage....will try this method this summer too...

Question is; will it survive the fuel tank filling drips (or spills) and AND the summer heat?

On the other hand there are those all composite frames like the Odyssey, that like many other brands have limited color schemes, so you see them EVERYWHERE you go ! Some of them do get closer to what one would like it would be.. but not exactly.

What I'm planning in there, since I don't do epoxy painting anymore, is getting a "vinyl wrap" color chart like that of signs on business locale windows and cars, outdoor grade.

Life span of those vinyl range from 2 to 10 years, depends on use..(but some car wrapping material can go to up to 10 years; so how long will it take for you to crash..LOL

The awesome Piper (Cub) yellow is closely matched by the "golden yellow" in the chart, so my search for it starts with "car wrap golden yellow vinyl"...(Amazon has it all !!). The need for it is not only to personalize a model, but often to make it more "visible" (if not hi-vis)Ö and I'm planning on doing just that; checkered board on the huge black bottom wing and stabs. Black is highly visible all year round, but yellow makes it a lot less boringly single color, thus, personalizing too.
Last edited by rockiesguy; Sep 07, 2019 at 02:51 PM. Reason: new picture
to remove ads between posts
Oct 29, 2018, 09:38 AM
Thread OP

Flyfly Mirage

here it goes...again... will go with the K30... will not change the color scheme.. ust might add some yellow to all tips in the plane.
Last edited by rockiesguy; Nov 24, 2018 at 09:18 PM.
Dec 09, 2018, 01:31 PM
Thread OP

Freewing T-45

the next thread is for the conversion to turbine on the T-45

Quick Reply