Tower Hobbies Uproar V2 GP/EP ARF Review - RC Groups

Tower Hobbies Uproar V2 GP/EP ARF Review

The Iconic Tower Hobbies Uproar Fun Fly kit has been updated to an Electric Friendly ARF with 3D capabilities. Gary Wright worked his magic once again and has infused even more FUN into the new Uproar V2.

Splash

Introduction

Tower Hobbies Uproar V2
Wingspan:47.6 in (1210 mm)
Length:48.1 in (1222 mm)
Wing Area:630.8 sq in
Weight:4.6 - 4.7 lb
Wing Loading:16 - 17 oz/sq ft
Receiver:Futaba R617FS
Servos:4 or 5 Standard-sized Servos
Battery:4S LiPo, 3300 - 4000 mAh
Motor:925W, 800 kV Outrunner
ESC:75 - 80 Amp
Prop:APC 13x8 or 14x7 2-Blade
Transmitter:Futaba 8FG Super
Manufacturer:Tower Hobbies
Available From:Tower Hobbies and local hobby shops
Street Price:$ 99.99

During the 90's the hottest local club flying events were "Fun Fly" events. The object was to perform a sequence of normal flight maneuvers in the shortest time frame possible. A typical sequence would be takeoff, 3 loops, 3 rolls, and land in the shortest time. Variations sometimes included the most touch-n-goes in 1 minute, or a 10 second climb and then highest number of spins. These events were designed so that the normal everyday flyer could participate with their everyday sport airplane and enjoy a fun day at the flying field. Anybody could takeoff, do 3 loops, do 3 rolls, and land. However, when any event involves competition, somebody has to make a better mousetrap. The events eventually lost favor when specialized planes and expert pilots were doing 50+ touch-n-goes in 60 seconds (continuous loops touching the bottom), and 10 second flight sequences never exceeding 20 feet off the runway.

In the midst of all this madness, Tower Hobbies came out with a kit called the Uproar. The mid wing design had enlarged flight surfaces for extremely fast maneuverability and a fat airfoil for great low speed stability. When it wasn't winning Fun Flys, it was becoming many pilots' favorite go-to everyday sport airplane. The Uproar kit became so successful that it outlasted the event that sparked its design. In fact, the kit is still available from Tower Hobbies.

While the Uproar was a great plane in its day, it was getting pretty dated. Stick built kits and glow power designs are not exactly mainstream anymore. Thank goodness for Hobbico's Gary Wright. He reworked the Uproar basic design to make it more electric friendly, added side force generators for the wing tips, and saved us a ton of time by offering the Uproar V2 in an ARF format.

Let's get this baby unboxed and see what Gary has done to our favorite Fun Fly plane.

Kit Contents

• Built-up balsa and ply airframe
  • High-quality covering material
  • Fuselage with upper and lower hatches
  • Two-piece wing with aluminum joiner tube and pre-hinged ailerons
  • Pre-hinged elevator and rudder
  • Glow motor mount and glow fuel tank
  • One-piece wire landing gear with 2-1/2" wheels
  • 2-1/2" plastic spinner
  • Clear plastic canopy
  • Complete hardware package
  • 28-Page photo-illustrated instruction manual

Required Parts

• Minimum 4-channel radio system
  • 4 mini servos (5 for glow)
  • .46 2-stroke glow engine
  • 1300 mAh LiFe receiver battery (glow)
  • 900-1100 Watt brushless electric motor
  • 3300-4000 mAh 4-cell 30C LiPo battery
  • 80 Amp ESC with BEC (standard servos)
  • 10 Amp separate BEC (digital HS servos)
  • 3 Servo extensions
  • 30 minute epoxy and CA glue
  • Non-Permanent Thread Locking Compound
  • Common building tools

Parts Supplied by Tower Hobbies for this Review

Tower Hobbies supplied a powerful Rimfire .32 brushless outrunner motor, a Castle Creations Edge Lite 75 Amp ESC, a Castle Creations 10 Amp BEC, a FlightPower 4350 mah 4-cell 30C Lipo battery pack, a Futaba R617FS seven-channel FASST receiver, and four Tactic TSX25 Digital High-Speed mini servos.

Assembly

The 28-page photo-illustrated Instruction Manual is very good. There are numerous detailed photos of each building process and a good explanation of each step in the process. The manual is well suited for intermediate ARF builders. This Review will attempt to give some useful tips to help with the building process. The first tip would be to install all of the decals before starting the assembly process. Since the whole plane is White, it's best to mark the "Top" of each of the pieces to be sure the decals get installed on the correct side of each surface. Use the illustrations on the Uproar V2 Tower site to help with the general decal placement.

Wing

The airframe assembly process began with the wing. The ailerons were pre-hinged but they needed to be properly aligned before they could be CA'ed in place. The ailerons needed some space at the wingtip to ensure maximum surface movement without interference. With the wing tip plate installed, two layers of card stock were taped to the tip plate to shim the end of the aileron away from the plate. This gave a nice tight fit without any interference.

The finished wings were slipped on the aluminum wing spar tube and guided into the fuselage to check alignment and fit. One wing would not fit up against the fuselage. Further inspection showed that the small anti-rotation pin had not been installed perpendicular to the center wing rib. A few touches with a Dremel tool and the wing slipped snugly into place.

Fuselage

The assembly process continued with the fuselage. A trial fit of the horizontal and vertical stabs found that the assembly would not seat properly in the fuselage cutouts. If the horizontal stab was slid all the way forward in its slot, the rear of the vertical stab was offset. With the rear of the vertical stab straight, there was an ugly gap in front of the horizontal stab. The only way to get both to align properly was to extend the slot in the center of the horizontal stab by about 1/4 inch to the rear. The slot extension allowed the horizontal stab to move further forward and the vertical stab to slide further to the rear. After a few more test fittings, everything lined up perfectly.

Once the elevator hinges were CA'ed in place, it was easy to install the control horns and pushrods before CA'ing the rudder hinges in place.

The canopy and landing gear were the last parts to be installed on the fuselage. That big clear canopy needed something, so a suitable pilot figure was secured in place on top of the fuselage. I decided to bolt down the clear canopy rather than glue it in place just in case. The Instruction Manual included a template for drilling the gear mounting bracket holes. Depending on your ESC and BEC locations, extra care should be taken not to drill too deeply into the fuselage. Once the gear straps were bolted in place, it seemed that some of the mounting screw tips were sticking up just slightly into the battery compartment. A gentle touch with a Dremel wheel made sure that the screw tips could not touch the battery.

Radio Installation

The receiver and fuselage servos were next in line. Coffee stir sticks made wonderful tubes for routing receiver antennas. The sticks were easily glued to the fuselage sides and made receiver installation and removal very simple. The servos were placed in the fuselage and then positioned so that the output arms were exactly in line with the pushrods. Since the pushrod tubes were slightly offset vertically, the pushrod ends were bent in opposite directions. The rudder pushrod was bent toward the bottom of the fuselage and the elevator pushrod was bent toward the top of the fuselage. It was a close fit, but the elevator pushrod link did not touch the rudder pushrod and the surfaces moved smoothly.

Completion

The completed Tower Uproar V2 weighed 4 lbs 1 oz with battery, RTF. The plane balanced at 3-3/4" from the leading edge with the batteries positioned all the way forward in the battery compartment. That was at the rear of the recommended CG range, but since I wanted to try some 3D anyway, I left it alone.

The surface throws were set to the recommended amounts for high and low rates. Since I prefer some exponential, I set 35% Expo for high rates and 25% Expo for low rates. I then set the transmitter countdown timer for 6 minutes and had it start and run at any throttle setting above 20%.

With the recommended 14x7 prop, the Rimfire .32 pulled 67.59 Amps and indicated 1034.1 Watts static power at WOT. This power level calculated out to an impressive 254.5 Watts per pound. This is going to be FUN!

Servo Change

The Tactic TSX25 Digital High-Speed mini servos came in stock at Tower Hobbies just as I was in the middle of Uproar V2 build, so I changed out the analog TSX20s and installed the faster and stronger TSX25s. Knowing that the Digital High-Speed Tactic servos would be pushing the Edge Lite BEC very close to its 5 Amp limit, I opted to install a separate Castle Creations 10 Amp BEC. The BEC output Voltage was set to 6.0 Volts to get the maximum speed and torque from the Tactic servos. Now it's time to get this baby flying!

Flying

Basics

The Tower Uproar V2 is a Fun Fly aircraft. As such, it should be very mild mannered and a smooth everyday flyer on low rates. However, it should be able to go into full throwdown mode at the flip of the rate switches. Knowing that Gary Wright did this Uproar V2 redesign, I think we're in for a real treat.

Taking Off and Landing

The Uproar V2 had plenty of power. On low rates, a gentle application of throttle and a tiny bit of right rudder was all that was needed to keep it tracking straight down the middle of the runway for a gentle lift off. Switch to higher rates and pour on the throttle and you better hang on. It will take more rudder, but you won't need it for long. The Uproar seemed to explode straight up off the runway. This V2 has definitely got Uproar Fun Fly roots.

Landings were a non-event. That thick wing keeps the Uproar V2 flying at ridiculously slow speeds. Wheel landings, three-point landings, or tail wheel first nose high landings were all safely and easily performed.

Sport Flying

The Uproar V2 was a truly mild mannered Sport Plane on low rates. It would perform all the normal sport plane maneuvers with ease. Those big flying surfaces didn't need much deflection to perform loops, rolls, snaps, and spins. Clean knife edge flight didn't need full rudder or full throttle. Inverted flight only needed a hint of down elevator.

Fun Flying

On higher rates, the Uproar came to life. You could tell that this plane was made for FUN. Tight loops were a cinch with no hint of snapping out. Drill bit tight rolls with violent snaps and spins were almost too fast to follow. Even when you completely ran out of airspeed, there was enough power on tap to get back flying instantly.

3D Flying

Yes, with huge flying surfaces and 250+ Watts per pound of power loading, this Uproar will 3D just fine. The CG may have to be moved back a little more, but the Uproar will definitely fly 3D maneuvers. I'm not a hard core 3D guy, but within the first few flights I could tell that the Uproar would harrier and hover just fine.

Is This For a Beginner?

Not for a pure Beginner. The Tower Uproar V2 is designed for neutral stability and has no self-righting characteristics. However, on low rates it would make a great 2nd or 3rd sport plane. It would also make a great sport plane for flyers that may want to dip their toes in the 3D Kool Aid but still have a great flying sport plane for everyday use.

Flight Photo Gallery

Jesse Webb was once again behind the Nikon as I played with the new Tower Uproar V2. I hope my big smile didn't mess with the exposure settings too badly.

Flight Video

Jesse Webb was on video duty as I taxied out the Uproar V2 and lined up for takeoff. He was amazing in the way he kept up with the Uproar on high rates. He even captured my unrecognizable maneuvers and recoveries.

Tower Hobbies Uproar V2 - RCGroups Review (6 min 43 sec)

Conclusion

The Tower Hobbies Uproar V2 is a great everyday sport plane that can also be flown hard through crazy fun fly and 3D maneuvers. It is very mild mannered on low rates but it has lots of power and huge flying surfaces that will turn the Uproar inside out on high rates. If you are comfortable with a low-wing aileron plane, the Uproar V2 would be a perfect next step and it would be a perfect plane to transition into the world of wild aerobatics and 3D flight. Whether you are lazily poking around the pattern at half throttle, or gyrating through the air at full bore, the Uproar is rock solid and will give you that wonderful feeling of being in full control at all times.

Pluses

• Wonderful Update to the Original Uproar
  • Electric Friendly Design
  • Classic Fun Fly Characteristics
  • Excellent Sport Plane Performance
  • New 3D Capabilities
  • Two-Piece Wing
  • Generous Hatch Areas
  • Basic White Scheme Easily Personalized
  • Very High Value

Minuses

• Minor Parts Fit Issues

Thanks

I'd like to thank Tower Hobbies for providing the Uproar V2 model for this review. Thanks to Jesse Webb for helping with the photos and video and thanks to Matt Gunn for his assistance in editing this review.

Last edited by Matt Gunn; Jul 07, 2017 at 09:26 AM..
Jul 07, 2017, 12:26 PM
ltc
ltc
AMA 97737
Thanks for pointing this plane out. I just signed up for email notification on the Tower website.
I remember the original Uproar, I hope this one is as much fun (as an electric build)
Jul 07, 2017, 04:23 PM
We shall serve the Lord
I think this one is a lot more fun that the original. I think that the new Uproar's tail moment has been slightly lengthened so it doesn't seem to be quite as pitch sensitive as the original. The longer tail moment also seems to help stabilize the Uproar when hovering. I'm still playing with props, but the 14x7 seems pretty good right now.

Did I mention that this one is an ARF and that it's designed to be very electric power friendly?

McD
Last edited by kingsflyer; Jul 07, 2017 at 04:38 PM.
Jul 07, 2017, 06:52 PM
Product Manager at Hobbico
I wouldn't waste the time experimenting with props, someone's allready done that bolt on a XOAR 14X7 "E" and fly,... second choice is a xoar 14X6. If you want to fly mid rates and do a lot of big air aerobatics, i.e. not hovering and such, bolt on a 13X8 APC. pitch speed is a bit more, so throttle can be pulled back and still cruise pretty fast, for longer sport aerobatic type flights.However, it's not as good to hover with. Something happened to the only 14X7 we had with us when shooting the video on the tower site, so much of that, including the hovering bit, was with a 13X8, so it'll do everything with any of them. However, the pick of the litter, so to speak, is spelled out in the first couple sentences of this post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsflyer
. I'm still playing with props, but the 14x7 seems pretty good right now.

McD
Latest blog entry: blog
Jul 08, 2017, 03:20 PM
killickb
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsflyer
I think this one is a lot more fun that the original. I think that the new Uproar's tail moment has been slightly lengthened so it doesn't seem to be quite as pitch sensitive as the original. The longer tail moment also seems to help stabilize the Uproar when hovering. I'm still playing with props, but the 14x7 seems pretty good right now.

Did I mention that this one is an ARF and that it's designed to be very electric power friendly?

McD
Is inferred that glo is not mainstream and that Gary was thinking electric so why include engine mounting and tank? A few less $ that the majority of buyers would have to shell out though the pricing looks very good as is.
Jul 08, 2017, 07:13 PM
We shall serve the Lord
The new Uproar V2 is still glow friendly, but the original Uproar was a real TOOT to convert to electric. The glow mount and tank are included for the glow option. You get the best of both worlds with this new design.

McD
Latest blog entry: LEDs on my T-28
Jul 09, 2017, 12:32 PM
son of a pilot
Nice review. Any chance of seeing this plane in kit form?
Jul 10, 2017, 04:15 AM
UAS Pilot - FAA# *******HRK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott C
Nice review. Any chance of seeing this plane in kit form?
You could always bash the current Uproar kit to the current standard.

Mike
Jul 10, 2017, 12:08 PM
son of a pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by CryHavoc
You could always bash the current Uproar kit to the current standard.

Mike
True, I was really digging the removable wing on the V2.
Jul 10, 2017, 08:51 PM
UAS Pilot - FAA# *******HRK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott C
True, I was really digging the removable wing on the V2.
As long as you were bashing, you could incorporate that feature. It would be especially easy to do since the wing has no dihedral. The .60 size they used to kit had removable wings. You would simply replace the inner couple of ribs with light ply or make light ply rib doublers to support the outer tube. The same thing for the fuse. The wing center rib should be all ply. You then just need to glue a block of hardwood to the inside to support a fixture, or install a blind nut or something for a bolt to hold the wing to the fuse, and then a short dowel at the trailing edge for an anti-rotation/alignment.

I've seen your other build/mod threads. You'd have zero problems doing this. Just spend a little time researching this and it'll be clearer.

Mike
Jul 18, 2017, 09:51 AM
Of course anything can happen but i wouldn't bet any money on seeing a kit. The market demand vastly favors ARF's . I'm a builder, and I love building (after designing). the world we live in, however, demands ARF's. The builders are unfortunately in the minority these days.

uproar V2's are back in stock by the way.
Jul 23, 2017, 07:29 AM
We shall serve the Lord
In Stock and now includes a $10 off code and free shipping. What a deal! At that price I'm ordering a spare.

McD
Jul 25, 2017, 12:13 PM
Hi,

Is anyone flying it with a 4 cycle?

A Saito 82 might be a good choice, but it weighs 3oz more then the OS46.
Jul 25, 2017, 12:20 PM
I don't know of one with a 4-stroke, but I would go much smaller than the 82 you mention. When the original uproar was designed, even before it was a hobbico plane, they were flown with OS32's on mouse-can mufflers. If I were to fly glow engines again I'd probably have a 35ax on it, but I don't plan to fly glow anytime soon.
Jul 25, 2017, 12:27 PM
We shall serve the Lord
I agree that an 80 size 4-stroke is way too much motor. I'd think the OS 52 Alpha would be a great 4-stroke choice.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXRUF7&P=0

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...erhouse-Review

McD