May 19, 2017, 02:05 PM
Help!

Help me with what to buy!

I am planning to build a small-medium plane made out of foam that apparently is easy to make but I have never done anything like this before. I have searched around a bit on HobbyKing to find the electric parts for a scratch build and there is a picture of the wishlist in this post. I added two different motors since I wasn't sure which I should use. Please tell me what you think and what parts I should replace, any help is appreciated!
to remove ads between posts
May 19, 2017, 02:58 PM
Hot glue held together by foam
Where in the world do you live ? USA , Europe , Australia ?
Have you flown an RC plane before ?
If not , will you have the assistance of an experienced RC flyer ?
How big is your flying area ?
May 19, 2017, 03:32 PM
Drone offender FA377YHFNC
You don't say anything about what plane you're going to fly. So realize that some advice can't be too specific.

On the radio you've specified a Mode 1 radio. Different parts of the world fly different modes. If you aren't rock solid about doing what everyone else does, you'll find yourself in a position where if you want flying help, nobody but you will be able to fly the plane. Don't make a mistake on what mode you buy.

You apparently are looking to fly on less than 20 W of power but have a big heavy 2600mAh battery. You'd be much better served going with 1000mAh to 1300mAh battery. If you really find you WANT 2600mAh just hook two 1300s together in parallel.

I've had great luck buying HK's Plush ESCs. I don't know about the one you ordered. Make sure that the motor you eventually use will swing the prop you bought at a suitable RPM and draw a certain number of amps. Then buy your speed controller with the ability to handle 1/3 more amps than you'll need. Guessing on motor/prop/ESC combinations makes for some flamy stuff coming out of various components.

The HK15178 servos are awesome. I've used them five years in my Slow Stick without a glitch.
May 20, 2017, 01:34 AM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
The battery you picked is designed to go in a transmitter (the remote/handset/box with sticks/whatever). It's​ rated for less than 3A continuous output and will be useless for powering a model.

At risk of wasting my time typing, I'll wait to see what model you intend to build before advising further.
May 20, 2017, 04:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEpicDuck
I am planning to build a small-medium plane made out of foam that apparently is easy to make
If all we know about the plane is that it is "small-medium" then all we can advise about the components is they should probably be small-medium too.

More details would help.

Steve
May 20, 2017, 08:21 AM
Perpetual Noob
www.flitetest.com
May 20, 2017, 09:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by balsa or carbon
Where in the world do you live ? USA , Europe , Australia ?
Have you flown an RC plane before ?
If not , will you have the assistance of an experienced RC flyer ?
How big is your flying area ?
Sorry everyone for the lack of information.

Yes I have flown an RC plane before, but it was a while ago.

My neighbor has flown alot of RC planes and I would probably get some help from him if I need to.

My flying area is very big, since I live on an old farm where we have lots of space
May 20, 2017, 09:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by slipstick
If all we know about the plane is that it is "small-medium" then all we can advise about the components is they should probably be small-medium too.

More details would help.

Steve
I am basically planning to build something like Samm Sheperd's "$5 Trainer":

$5 Trainer Build Techniques (7 min 53 sec)

$5 RC Trainer (5 min 25 sec)

Since I have never done this before, I don't really know what you need to know other than that. Do you need to know the mass of the plane? Because I have no idea.

If someone can provide a really basic list of parts that I could buy, that would be awesome! It doesn't have to be expensive or anything.

Building a small sled, like Samm did, would be a great way of figuring out how the electronics work before I try to build a plane
May 20, 2017, 11:09 AM
Quote:
Sorry everyone for the lack of information.

Yes I have flown an RC plane before, but it was a while ago.

My neighbor has flown alot of RC planes and I would probably get some help from him if I need to.

My flying area is very big, since I live on an old farm where we have lots of space
OK , cool !

Usually plans for RC planes include electronics recommendations ; if the plans for the plane you want to build don't include electronics recommendations , post a link to the plane or a detailed description so we can help you . Which electronics to get depends on the weight of the plane , and the type of performance that is expected from it ...... slow flying trainer , 3D plane , fast jet , motor glider , etc .
May 20, 2017, 11:41 AM
Quote:
OK , cool !

Usually plans for RC planes include electronics recommendations ; if the plans for the plane you want to build don't include electronics recommendations , post a link to the plane or a detailed description so we can help you . Which electronics to get depends on the weight of the plane , and the type of performance that is expected from it ...... slow flying trainer , 3D plane , fast jet , motor glider , etc .
I am basically planning to build a plane like Samm Sheperd's "5$ Trainer":

$5 RC Trainer (5 min 25 sec)

$5 Trainer Build Techniques (7 min 53 sec)

I can't find any form of insulation foam that he used in his video(s), can you suggest other building materials? Will cardboard work or is it too weak?
May 20, 2017, 01:27 PM
Drone offender FA377YHFNC
Quote:
OK , cool !

Translation: always start with the plane and back into the components. It's a waste of time to do it backwards.

We resume our normal garbled English.....
May 21, 2017, 08:02 PM
Quote:
I am basically planning to build a plane like Samm Sheperd's "5$ Trainer":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKt6bt6I1Is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aV5hILJe20U

I can't find any form of insulation foam that he used in his video(s), can you suggest other building materials? Will cardboard work or is it too weak?
Do you want to build a 3 channel high wing trainer ( like in video #1 ) or a 4 channel low wing plane ( like in video #2 ) ?

I watch Samm's videos and subscribed to his YouTube channel a long time ago ; but for your first time building a plane , I recommend building a simpler , well supported plane . A well supported plane will have a thread with downloadable plans , electronics recommendations , and plenty of support from the designer and others who have built the plane .

There are MANY threads for scratch built trainers in the " Foamies ( Scratchbuilt ) " forum :
https://www.rcgroups.com/foamies-scratchbuilt-428/
My favorite 3 channel trainer is the EzFly , it's what I've used to teach dozens of people to fly over the last 7 years . Here is the thread for the EzFly :
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...-trainer-plane
Let me know if you want to build one , I can help you through the whole process . The best plans for the EzFly are these ( PDF file ) :
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...6&d=1334660760

Look for foam sheets in hardware/building supply stores , or art supply stores , or office supply stores . You can also get foam sheets from HobbyKing :
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/aero-mod...___store=en_us
Click on EU warehouse at the top .
Cardboard can work for building planes , but it's not ideal .

Here is one of my EzFlys :

Copy of EzFly with under-cambered wing (1 min 57 sec)
Last edited by balsa or carbon; May 21, 2017 at 08:10 PM.