Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
May 19, 2017, 01:36 PM
Discussion

Windy flying tips

Hey all! Sometimes the windy can be a bit overwhelming but if you have good basic control of your plane and want to push your skills, flying in the wind can be a real treat. Share your tips and tricks for others here. Here is a full Fpv flight and voice over from the pilot about what to expect and how to react.
Windy 101, How to fly in the wind like a boss (10 min 15 sec)
to remove ads between posts
May 20, 2017, 07:36 AM
B for Bruce
For those that fly in the regular classic manner of looking up at the model a key part is to realize that the model is trimmed to fly at a given level flight cruise speed. You can trust the model to maintain that airspeed and self correct itself to hold that speed. The lower time pilot needs to trust that trait and let the model appear to be flying overly fast when flying with the wind and allow it to slow down when flying into the wind. And when flying cross wind to realize that there's quite a visual difference between the visual heading and the actual ground path.

All this can be quite a lot to grab at one time. So learn to read these differences in more moderate winds before tackling stronger winds where the effects of this are far more extreme.

Keep in mind too that with slower flying trainers and slower flying small field models that as the wind speed becomes strong enough that it's near or over the model's normal flying speed that this upwind to downwind difference will appear massive. The temptation to "slow down" when flying with the wind is high. But again you need to trust the model's flying trim to be at the proper airspeed.
May 22, 2017, 02:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMatthews
For those that fly in the regular classic manner of looking up at the model a key part is to realize that the model is trimmed to fly at a given level flight cruise speed. You can trust the model to maintain that airspeed and self correct itself to hold that speed. The lower time pilot needs to trust that trait and let the model appear to be flying overly fast when flying with the wind and allow it to slow down when flying into the wind. And when flying cross wind to realize that there's quite a visual difference between the visual heading and the actual ground path.

All this can be quite a lot to grab at one time. So learn to read these differences in more moderate winds before tackling stronger winds where the effects of this are far more extreme.

Keep in mind too that with slower flying trainers and slower flying small field models that as the wind speed becomes strong enough that it's near or over the model's normal flying speed that this upwind to downwind difference will appear massive. The temptation to "slow down" when flying with the wind is high. But again you need to trust the model's flying trim to be at the proper airspeed.
yep, it's all about more stick time
May 23, 2017, 08:07 PM
Kamikaze Ace
And learning to cross wind take off and land will teach you rudder control a lot.
The bonus with learning to fly with windy days is you get more flying time instead of looking out the window of your house hoping it stops blowing.

One of the planes we fly on windy days is the venerable GWS Slow Stick. You'll learn to handle wind real quick with those.
May 23, 2017, 09:06 PM
No longer registered with FAA
When it's too windy to fly anything else I take out my GWS Slow Sticks
May 24, 2017, 06:52 AM
Stick a gyro in your plane. It will make life a lot easier on windy days, or is that daze.

Gord.
May 24, 2017, 07:35 PM
John,not Zerts.JOHN, NOT Zerts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacier Girl
And learning to cross wind take off and land will teach you rudder control a lot.
The bonus with learning to fly with windy days is you get more flying time instead of looking out the window of your house hoping it stops blowing.

One of the planes we fly on windy days is the venerable GWS Slow Stick. You'll learn to handle wind real quick with those.
What the local news weather people dont know (yet), every time I plug in my battery charger, the wind kicks up. By the time the first pack is charged, its blowing pretty good.

My old flying instructor said: "Ignore the wind speed forecasts on the news, come out here for your lesson no matter what, we can fly most of the time windy or not."
Yesterday, 10:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flypaper 2
Stick a gyro in your plane. It will make life a lot easier on windy days, or is that daze.

Gord.
now you done it. People are gonna swarm you with silly comments like "or learn to fly" or "back in my day we didnt have these fancy electrical doohickies" and "back in my day i built my planes with balsa i personally harvested from south america, fighting off the natives on the walk back"
Yesterday, 11:51 AM
No longer registered with FAA
And I made my own dicyclohexyl phthalate for the dope
Last edited by Rhea; Yesterday at 11:58 AM. Reason: Added name
Yesterday, 01:22 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
When it's really too windy to fly 'land gliding' ---

Ray.