Windy flying tips - RC Groups
May 19, 2017, 01:36 PM
Discussion

Windy flying tips

Hey all! Sometimes the windy can be a bit overwhelming but if you have good basic control of your plane and want to push your skills, flying in the wind can be a real treat. Share your tips and tricks for others here. Here is a full Fpv flight and voice over from the pilot about what to expect and how to react.
Windy 101, How to fly in the wind like a boss (10 min 15 sec)
to remove ads between posts
May 20, 2017, 07:36 AM
B for Bruce
For those that fly in the regular classic manner of looking up at the model a key part is to realize that the model is trimmed to fly at a given level flight cruise speed. You can trust the model to maintain that airspeed and self correct itself to hold that speed. The lower time pilot needs to trust that trait and let the model appear to be flying overly fast when flying with the wind and allow it to slow down when flying into the wind. And when flying cross wind to realize that there's quite a visual difference between the visual heading and the actual ground path.

All this can be quite a lot to grab at one time. So learn to read these differences in more moderate winds before tackling stronger winds where the effects of this are far more extreme.

Keep in mind too that with slower flying trainers and slower flying small field models that as the wind speed becomes strong enough that it's near or over the model's normal flying speed that this upwind to downwind difference will appear massive. The temptation to "slow down" when flying with the wind is high. But again you need to trust the model's flying trim to be at the proper airspeed.
May 22, 2017, 02:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMatthews
For those that fly in the regular classic manner of looking up at the model a key part is to realize that the model is trimmed to fly at a given level flight cruise speed. You can trust the model to maintain that airspeed and self correct itself to hold that speed. The lower time pilot needs to trust that trait and let the model appear to be flying overly fast when flying with the wind and allow it to slow down when flying into the wind. And when flying cross wind to realize that there's quite a visual difference between the visual heading and the actual ground path.

All this can be quite a lot to grab at one time. So learn to read these differences in more moderate winds before tackling stronger winds where the effects of this are far more extreme.

Keep in mind too that with slower flying trainers and slower flying small field models that as the wind speed becomes strong enough that it's near or over the model's normal flying speed that this upwind to downwind difference will appear massive. The temptation to "slow down" when flying with the wind is high. But again you need to trust the model's flying trim to be at the proper airspeed.
yep, it's all about more stick time
May 23, 2017, 08:07 PM
Kamikaze Ace
And learning to cross wind take off and land will teach you rudder control a lot.
The bonus with learning to fly with windy days is you get more flying time instead of looking out the window of your house hoping it stops blowing.

One of the planes we fly on windy days is the venerable GWS Slow Stick. You'll learn to handle wind real quick with those.
May 23, 2017, 09:06 PM
Just call me Ῥέᾱ
When it's too windy to fly anything else I take out my GWS Slow Sticks
May 24, 2017, 06:52 AM
Stick a gyro in your plane. It will make life a lot easier on windy days, or is that daze.

Gord.
May 24, 2017, 07:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacier Girl
And learning to cross wind take off and land will teach you rudder control a lot.
The bonus with learning to fly with windy days is you get more flying time instead of looking out the window of your house hoping it stops blowing.

One of the planes we fly on windy days is the venerable GWS Slow Stick. You'll learn to handle wind real quick with those.
What the local news weather people dont know (yet), every time I plug in my battery charger, the wind kicks up. By the time the first pack is charged, its blowing pretty good.

My old flying instructor said: "Ignore the wind speed forecasts on the news, come out here for your lesson no matter what, we can fly most of the time windy or not."
May 25, 2017, 10:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flypaper 2
Stick a gyro in your plane. It will make life a lot easier on windy days, or is that daze.

Gord.
now you done it. People are gonna swarm you with silly comments like "or learn to fly" or "back in my day we didnt have these fancy electrical doohickies" and "back in my day i built my planes with balsa i personally harvested from south america, fighting off the natives on the walk back"
May 25, 2017, 11:51 AM
Just call me Ῥέᾱ
And I made my own dicyclohexyl phthalate for the dope
Last edited by Rhea; May 25, 2017 at 11:58 AM. Reason: Added name
May 25, 2017, 01:22 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
When it's really too windy to fly 'land gliding' ---

Ray.
May 30, 2017, 12:17 PM
Mystery Flyer
GWS Slow Sticks work for me too.
Jun 02, 2017, 12:43 AM
Clue #1. Stay away from the tree magnets. And shrub and structure magnets. The stronger the wind, vs the smaller/lighter the plane, the farther to stay away.

Think of air as a fluid like water as if flows over and around things, or bumps into something and is redirected or accelerated.

Important: the airflow NEVER STOPS. Wherever it goes it has to keep on going someplace else.

Think of a waterfall, or a sharp curve in a river, or how the water hits a rock in the middle of a river, and how these objects affect the flow of the water. Air does the same thing, but it's invisible.

Plain straight line wind is a very mild hazard, because its effects on a plane can be very predictable and repeatable. The hazard is flows of air coming from different directions, or that hit objects, which causes turbulence. Turbulence is the -serious- opponent.

For a beginner a good gauge would be for each 5mph increase in speed, stay away 1x the height of an object away from it. Meaning that at 0-1 or 2 mph you can brush right up to trees. There is no magnetism and unless the -pilot- hits a tree the tree won't (can't) hurt the plane. At 5mph, with a 30' tall treeline, stay 30' away. Yes, at 15 mph, in some situations only 10mph, a 30' tall treeline cause drastic turbulence effects 100-150' downwind that 'bobble' even 1/4 scale planes.

This is true regardless of the wind direction relative to the object. Examples...

The waterfall effect. See pic below Imagine air flowing over a treed area, then coming to a field, and then the air 'falls off' the trees, flows down and is -accelerated- by gravity, then hits the ground and flows away from the trees. But flowing faster, the air bumps into other air in front of it, which redirects some of it -back- towards the trees, which then goes -up-. This causes a 'rotor.' This is the effect in real waterfalls that traps and drowns swimmers.

The breaking wave effect. See in the pic the left side of the building object. The air hits the object, flows up, decelerating, runs into the fast moving air above, turns away from the building, and creates another rotor.

The rotors are the magnets -- they eat aircraft.

I've seen dragonflies hunt smaller bugs at the downwind side of fields of tall grass (meaning like 6' high reeds by the beach.) The little bugs get blown along the top of the grass till the air falls off the top, creates a rotor, and the bugs get trapped there. The dragonflies cruise up and down the beach flying easily through the turbulence (they're much bigger and stronger) and grab the little ones.

Heck even a lone tree standing in a field is a magnet. There are different effects on the upwind side, down wind, and sides of the tree. A fun exercise is to fly across the wind, straight and level somewhere in the range of the height of the tree, and see the effects as the plane passes the tree. The downwind side will bobble the plane more severely than the upwind side, but the upwind side can blow the plane -into- the tree, so be careful, where the downwind side tends to blow it away from the tree.

I could write pages and pages about wind and turbulence. It's fun to play in.
Last edited by jbarchuk; Jun 02, 2017 at 08:42 AM. Reason: attach pic
Jun 02, 2017, 06:45 PM
Drone offender FA377YHFNC
And remember that although the plane flies at exactly the same airspeed up and downwind, downwind trees are much harder and inflict more damage than upwind trees!
Jun 02, 2017, 06:50 PM
LOL, true story !
Jun 02, 2017, 06:51 PM
Even smooth ground generates turbulence (eddies) from friction between the ground and air.

ie overall wind speed decreases rapidly close to the ground.