Bl Heli and Aircraft - RC Groups
May 19, 2017, 12:11 AM
Question

Bl Heli and Aircraft

I was setting up quadcopters and most of my electronics are for that.
I went back to finishing an airplane I was building.
The question is if there is a problem with using BlHeli speed controllers with an airplane instead of a quadcopter. It sure seems to me that it wouldn't make a difference. Any advice from more experienced people would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Tilo
to remove ads between posts
May 19, 2017, 03:22 AM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
BLHeli is very superior to the factory firmware you'll find in most fixed-wing ESCs. Proceed with happiness.
May 19, 2017, 07:57 AM
I'm not sure if this is true of BLHeli ESCs, but many ESCs for multi-rotors are designed with fast response as a priority, and as a result (and also perhaps to keep the package small?) might not have some of the features that you might want in a fixed-wing aircraft or heli, such as motor braking and/or soft start.

But if you don't want any such features, there's no reason not to use them in fixed-wing models.
May 19, 2017, 08:21 AM
BL Heli ESCs are fully programmable for fixed wing, helicopters, or multi rotors.
May 19, 2017, 08:32 AM
yank and bank!!
I'm using a Blheli equipped esc in a plane and love it. the esc is light for it's rating (even with the separate bec) and has reportedly has just about the highest switching spec of any esc commonly available. On top of all that, the esc costs about 40% of what "airplane esc's" cost for the same amps.

I'm obviously not using the closed loop features and I don't use the brake.
May 19, 2017, 09:34 AM
If there's a problem with BL Heli ESC's it's that they're still not made larger than 30 Amp.
May 19, 2017, 09:59 AM
yank and bank!!
Yep, it would be nice if they made blheli equipped esc's with at least 75A sustained capacity.
May 19, 2017, 10:03 AM
Even 50A would be nice
May 20, 2017, 01:53 PM
That's what my logic was saying, I just wanted wiser/more experienced advice. Thank you everyone. I think I will "Proceed with happiness"!
Tilo
May 29, 2017, 02:59 PM
Only issue I've had is with throttle stick programming. It got kind of funky and I'm not sure why. I managed to recover. Maybe owning a dedicated programmer would help to reset the ESC.