Thread Tools
Oct 05, 2017, 11:10 AM
Registered User
speedy01's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy01
... Dell 1760nw color laser printer ... .

The price at Staples as linked above includes shipping, and is as inexpensive as you'll find this printer in particular, or any color laser of comparable quality.
Well, you snooze, you lose. Price back up to $150 (from ~ $70).

Gene K
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Oct 05, 2017, 12:10 PM
Registered User
AntiArf's Avatar
Looked like a good deal. Change from V1 to V2 by chance? Always noticed how vendors and sellers are good at revealing that they have the latest version for sale. Not always so good at revealing that they're selling or clearing out the older version.
Oct 05, 2017, 01:59 PM
Oh! Just love model
K5083's Avatar
Thread OP
Yeah, $150, what a rip-off. I remember when a "near letter quality" dot matrix printer cost over $400, and in 1980s dollars at that.

I didn't bite this time. The fact that it was not sold in stores for that price was a drawback, because it is much easier to sneak contraband into the house when I can buy it at retail.

August
Oct 05, 2017, 02:13 PM
Registered User
On the whole, i druther have a laser all-in-one. I occasionally copy and import images from print media... and one day I may even send a fax. There is a Brother out there listing at 300 bucks... I am shopping still.
Oct 05, 2017, 03:15 PM
Registered User
speedy01's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by juanito
... i druther have a laser all-in-one.
Of course, but the Staples deal at $70 would have allowed you to also get an inexpensive inkjet printer/scanner combo (around $35), so you'd have had both for 1/3 the cost of the Mammoth Brother you are eyeing.

August -- the small Dell would have been much easier to hide.

Gene K
Owner of the svelte Brother HL3170CDW for which I paid $214 ... now $190 (no scanner - that's on my Canon MG7520).
Oct 05, 2017, 03:31 PM
Registered User
Gene, the MFC-9130CW ain't svelte, but it is no pachyderm... not even a dwarf Channel Island mammoth. But I do see your point.
A relevant factor is that my wife is allowed ad libitum to use up space in her "craftroom', but I am not. One is smaller than two... as I understand her reasoning.
Oct 05, 2017, 04:10 PM
Walked away from all landings
DonRhone's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by K5083
Yeah, $150, what a rip-off. I remember when a "near letter quality" dot matrix printer cost over $400, and in 1980s dollars at that.

I didn't bite this time. The fact that it was not sold in stores for that price was a drawback, because it is much easier to sneak contraband into the house when I can buy it at retail.

August
My first printer was a wide carriage metal case Tandy Daisy Wheel with the tractor feed.

It was on sale and came with a couple of printer cartridges, a couple of Daisy Wheel cartridges in other fonts. Was over $600.00 CAD

The specials on the new printers is just amazing, you buy the printer for cheap, then you buy the cartridges. Anyone notice that the cartridges for the new printers are much smaller, yet cost about the same as the old larger cartridges with substantially more ink. Wonder why that is?
Oct 05, 2017, 05:31 PM
Oh! Just love model
K5083's Avatar
Thread OP
Yes, that is the business model. Loss-lead the device to lock you in, then make all the profit on ink. Use smart ink tanks and intellectual property lawyers to make sure third-party ink cartridge providers can't get in there and mess up your monopoly.

A single set of ink tanks for many printers now costs more than some new printers.

The early dot matrix and daisy printers used ribbons that cost just about nothing.

August
Oct 05, 2017, 05:37 PM
Registered User
Geez, August!! Does that go for laser printers also? How would I find out before I buy?
Oct 05, 2017, 09:20 PM
Gary
gklein's Avatar
I'm late to this but back on magnets. Go to the fabric store and buy the thinnest organza (think wedding veil). I recess the magnet if possible and put one layer of the cloth over it and ca. Thin to the point of almost not there and the magnet will never come out. I use the organza regularly where I need a little reinforcement on micros at negligible weight gain.
Oct 06, 2017, 06:07 AM
Oh! Just love model
K5083's Avatar
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by juanito
Geez, August!! Does that go for laser printers also? How would I find out before I buy?
I don't know as much about consumer laser printers, but there's no way they are making money at $70 or even $150 on the one Gene likes, so I assume it's the same strategy.

When shopping any printer, find out what ink it takes and pretend to go shopping for those. See what it will cost you every few months and whether there are generic options. You probably can't best the system. They all play the game the same way.

August
Oct 12, 2017, 09:35 AM
Delusional Wanna-Be
John Rood's Avatar

Reason #7,849,563 Why God Created the Douglas Skyraider


Quote:
Originally Posted by K5083
"...it is much easier to sneak contraband into the house when I can buy it at retail."
This is definitely MY kind of build thread!
Sep 17, 2019, 10:20 AM
Registered User
Just got a Guillows kit # 904, the plans and the canopy are missing , and it has 2 steel rods. anyone know what the rods are for and can the plans and canopy be purchased , tks to all
Sep 18, 2019, 07:07 AM
hdowding
Quote:
Just got a Guillows kit # 904, the plans and the canopy are missing , and it has 2 steel rods. anyone know what the rods are for and can the plans and canopy be purchased , tks to all
One thing I like about Guillows kits is that parts and plans are available for all current kits. You can buy the Skyraider plans and canopy here:

http://www.guillow.com/904kitparts.aspx

But before you do that, you should contact Guillows through

http://www.guillow.com/contact-us.aspx

and say that those parts are missing from your kit. There's a pretty good chance they'll send you the parts free of charge.

As for the steel rods, you don't by chance mean piano wire, do you? If so, that's for forming the landing gear. Sounds like you got an extra. Maybe to make up for the missing parts?

Harvey
Sep 18, 2019, 09:50 AM
Registered User
tks will call guillows , frank


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Build Log Guillows A1H Skyraider conversion <video added> glewis Scratchbuilt Indoor and Micro Models 159 Sep 28, 2018 04:43 PM
Video Guillows Skyraider glewis Electric Plane Talk 7 Oct 26, 2010 01:27 PM
17" WS GUILLOWS SKYRAIDER R/C CONVERSION esb-help Scratchbuilt Indoor and Micro Models 22 Dec 24, 2009 01:47 AM
Build Log Guillow SkyRaider build_UP Sk8rboi99 Foamies (Scratchbuilt) 2 Jan 05, 2009 10:17 PM
Guillows SkyRaider Conversion F7X Foamies (Kits) 0 Mar 20, 2005 10:54 PM