May 17, 2017, 11:52 AM
Oh! Just love model
Thread OP
Build Log

Guillows #904 A-1 Skyraider

My next micro project will be the Guillows 904 A-1 Skyraider. I was surprised to find only one past build thread on this plane. It is a great thread though, about a 2010 Glenn Lewis build, with lots of great audience participation. Mandatory reading before e-converting one of these models.

I have not done a 900-series kit before. These are Guillows' easy-to-build kits with large slab fuselage sides. I found the six subjects selected for this series rather odd. The Skyraider, the O-1 and possibly the Mustang are reasonable sources for a slab-sided build. The T-28, Typhoon and Chipmunk all have oval section fuselages and just don't look right. They would have been nice 400-series (keel and bulkhead) subjects, but I have no interest in building the 900 versions.

Before working on the airframe, I thought it might be of interest to illustrate what has become my standard 1s micro power setup. See the captions for the pics below.

August
to remove ads between posts
May 17, 2017, 05:35 PM
Or current resident
Finally someone else is going to build one of these! I'll be the first to join in!
Your equipment selection is interesting. You put together a system that costs less than a 6400 board and coreless motor, and will be more powerful.

Glenn
May 17, 2017, 06:06 PM
Oh! Just love model
Thread OP
Hi Glenn. It was great to re-read your thread in prep for this build. I won't attempt to match several of the refinements you did on the model. I might have a few tricks up my sleeve though.

My paint scheme may not be very different from yours. That bee motif is so cool, and I have a soft spot for the Intrepid, docked here in NY, on which I have spent some nice afternoons.

August
May 17, 2017, 06:19 PM
Or current resident
I need to go back and revisit my thread. Not sure if I ever posted pics of the finished model with the 4 blade prop, bombs and rockets.
Sure is a good flying little model, you will like it!

Edit: yep, I did post the pics, forgot all about it.
May 20, 2017, 08:39 AM
August, I follow. Lead on, please...
May 20, 2017, 02:00 PM
Pilot, Co-pilot, Navagator
whata the thrust and amp draw on that bl 1s setup
May 20, 2017, 03:10 PM
August, great subject choice!

I built this kit back in 1995 for rubber - still have it, and it still flies very well. You can make it look much more scale-like with just a little modification. Build up the rear fuselage to fair in the fin by replacing formers H, J and the forward fin post with appropriately tapered replacements, sheet the cowling and the fuselage back to the cockpit with soft 1/32" sheet, and replace the plastic scoops with carved balsa. See bone pics below (sorry for the poor quality, scanned from 1995-vintage photos). I also added carved foam wheel door fairings. Completed model with prop weighs 24g without rubber.

Interesting historical note: on 1 May 1951 AD-4 Skyraiders from VA-195 flying off the Princeton conducted the Navy's last aerial torpedo attack, destroying the sluice gates on the Hwachon dam using Mk 13 torpedoes.

Look forward to watching your build and seeing successful flights.

Cheers,

Mike
May 22, 2017, 09:21 AM
Oh! Just love model
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemoskull View Post
whata the thrust and amp draw on that bl 1s setup
See this thread.

I expect about 45g of thrust on 1.6-1.7A using a 5x3 prop on 1s, per post 40 of that thread.

August
May 22, 2017, 09:25 AM
Oh! Just love model
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKellyvich View Post
August, great subject choice!

I built this kit back in 1995 for rubber - still have it, and it still flies very well. You can make it look much more scale-like with just a little modification. Build up the rear fuselage to fair in the fin by replacing formers H, J and the forward fin post with appropriately tapered replacements, sheet the cowling and the fuselage back to the cockpit with soft 1/32" sheet, and replace the plastic scoops with carved balsa. See bone pics below (sorry for the poor quality, scanned from 1995-vintage photos). I also added carved foam wheel door fairings. Completed model with prop weighs 24g without rubber.

Interesting historical note: on 1 May 1951 AD-4 Skyraiders from VA-195 flying off the Princeton conducted the Navy's last aerial torpedo attack, destroying the sluice gates on the Hwachon dam using Mk 13 torpedoes.

Look forward to watching your build and seeing successful flights.

Cheers,

Mike
Mike, I see what you did there! Very handsome model. I will be doing most of that. Certainly the cowling and forward fuselage sheeting and fairing in the fin somehow, and some kind of landing gear fairings. Besides the scoop, the Guillow's canopy shape also offends me, but I am not sure yet whether I will trouble to vac form a replacement.

August
May 22, 2017, 11:50 AM
Thanks! Yes, the kit canopy is too big and the rear framing isn't right - the 900-series Typhoon has similar errors. Another reason why I like canopies without the framing molded in - you can trim them to minimize the errors.

Cheers,

Mike
May 22, 2017, 03:16 PM
Oh! Just love model
Thread OP
Windscreen is wrong too. It's just all wrong except for being generally bubble shaped. It is a real hassle to make a pattern and shoot a replacement though. I may see whether the rest of the model is coming out well enough to be worth the trouble.

August
May 22, 2017, 11:20 PM
I Hate Orange Props
Just sick the canopy on, trim it down, and tell people who think that it doesn't look correct that it is the second prototype of the mark 53 variant experimental seaborn variant. People will gape at your incredible knowledge. Just make sure the story stays consistent. Mwahaha.
May 23, 2017, 08:48 AM
Oh! Just love model
Thread OP
Great plan. Only one glitch: what are these "people" of which you speak? I fly alone in parks at dawn, occasionally with a couple friends. So my planes are basically just for me.

August
May 23, 2017, 03:26 PM
I Hate Orange Props
Yourself. Maybe, just maybe, you can convince yourself.
May 23, 2017, 05:00 PM
Oh! Just love model
Thread OP
I've learned that my builds go better the sooner I get my systems in, so I installed my power unit with the first bulkhead (an extra one not from the kit, positioned so as to put the prop in the right place) and put the receiver on a shelf that also serves to reinforce the nose. Everything is crammed in the first couple inches so far. I also built the horizontal stab and am working on the fin. The wings are next, and I still haven't decided on the aileron mechanism and servo layout.

August

Quick Reply