Thread Tools
Sep 13, 2019, 12:46 PM
When in doubt, buzz them...
pmshop's Avatar
Had a lot of long flights today so:
Celebrating over 250 hours of logged drone flight time since December 19, 2015
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Sep 13, 2019, 07:14 PM
Just out for fun
graywoulf's Avatar
And so I am guessing that most of those were with the Spark(s),
Sep 13, 2019, 07:16 PM
Just out for fun
graywoulf's Avatar
And so I am guessing that most of those hours were with your Sparks.
Sep 13, 2019, 10:38 PM
When in doubt, buzz them...
pmshop's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by graywoulf
And so I am guessing that most of those hours were with your Sparks.
According to DJI go 4 - 145 hr on DJI products.
Sep 14, 2019, 01:57 PM
When in doubt, buzz them...
pmshop's Avatar
Just wanted to clarify the flight hours:

This is combined flight time since December 19, 2015
Logs from my home made 450, 550, Tarot 680pro and an experimental 6S 500 quad.
Also includes the 145 combined flight hours with DJI products.
I do not have a Spark or Mavic Air with more than 10 -20 continued hours because of some other warranty failure...GPS, vision, flies with no input. Etc...
The big one for all my DJI drones - gimbal will not hold the horizon.
No matter how much adjusting and calibrations, the gimbal will not keep the horizon level.

I own 2 Spark and 2 Mavic Air but they have all been exchanged at least 3 times each under warranty and the sparks, turned in at least 2 times under crash conditions as well as warranty issues.
Sep 16, 2019, 09:08 AM
What goes up must come down
Bush Pusher's Avatar

Spark Calibration IMU and Compass


I am new to the DJI Spark And have a few questions about Calibrating the IMU and compass ?
1. Should this be done outside or can it be done at the kitchen table making sure there is no metal to effect the calibration in either case.
2. Does the surface used to do the calibrations need to be level or just a stable flat surface that looks level .
3. I have seen and heard some say to do these calibrations every time you use the Spark, And can understand if you have traveled a distance to a new area but is that also true if you just go cross town or nearby like just a half mile away or so.
Your opinion on any of these questions would be very helpful
Thank You for your time Roger
Sep 16, 2019, 10:25 AM
Joe 6-pack
fmimages's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bush Pusher
I am new to the DJI Spark And have a few questions about Calibrating the IMU and compass ?
1. Should this be done outside or can it be done at the kitchen table making sure there is no metal to effect the calibration in either case.
2. Does the surface used to do the calibrations need to be level or just a stable flat surface that looks level .
3. I have seen and heard some say to do these calibrations every time you use the Spark, And can understand if you have traveled a distance to a new area but is that also true if you just go cross town or nearby like just a half mile away or so.
Your opinion on any of these questions would be very helpful
Thank You for your time Roger
i think its best to find a flat table outside away from metal buildings and such. I have had no problems calibrating except when I was in a big city surrounded by buildings then it was necessary to go to the park. Small distances vs long distances there is a need to re calibrate due to the magnetic lines circling the globe on long distances. I saw a good YouTube video explaining this when I first bough my Spark. So do a search on YouTube and you will find academic quality explanations of the phenomena. Not all are thorough though.
Sep 16, 2019, 03:31 PM
What goes up, hopefully lands!
Repaid1's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bush Pusher
I am new to the DJI Spark And have a few questions about Calibrating the IMU and compass ?
1. Should this be done outside or can it be done at the kitchen table making sure there is no metal to effect the calibration in either case.
For Compass Outside free from everything (A nice field is best)..including your watch. IMU Should NEVER be calibrated unless it is requesting to do so. It is done in factory under ideal situations and should never need it done again.

2. Does the surface used to do the calibrations need to be level or just a stable flat surface that looks level .
Compass doesn't care...IMU should be Completely level...again shouldn't be done unless it needs it and requests so in App

3. I have seen and heard some say to do these calibrations every time you use the Spark, And can understand if you have traveled a distance to a new area but is that also true if you just go cross town or nearby like just a half mile away or so.
Compass calibration is done once and once only..unless you travel great distance (Like over 500 miles or so). Again IMU should never be done unless requested and a Compass is done once and done for life of drone more or less. DO NOT KEEP DOING THEM!! From then on unless App is requesting and saying something is wrong.
Your opinion on any of these questions would be very helpful
Thank You for your time Roger
See Above in RED.
Sep 16, 2019, 04:45 PM
What goes up must come down
Bush Pusher's Avatar
Thanks for the help, some times i think all the videos and other information just make the easy stuff way to complicated
Sep 17, 2019, 06:06 PM
What goes up must come down
Bush Pusher's Avatar
Again thank You for all the reply's
My next Question in the same area on the IMU calibration screen their is 2 items Acc1 0.001 and Gyro1 0.001
what are the numbers for and what am i looking for, Do i want a high reading or am i looking for a very low reading like above ?
The reason i am doing these calibrations is i bought the used and it was shipped across the US and from what i understand from reading on the DJI site they recommend doing these calibrations after this kind of travel. shipping is not always a smooth ride .
Roger
Sep 17, 2019, 07:37 PM
What goes up, hopefully lands!
Repaid1's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bush Pusher
Again thank You for all the reply's
My next Question in the same area on the IMU calibration screen their is 2 items Acc1 0.001 and Gyro1 0.001
what are the numbers for and what am i looking for, Do i want a high reading or am i looking for a very low reading like above ?
The reason i am doing these calibrations is i bought the used and it was shipped across the US and from what i understand from reading on the DJI site they recommend doing these calibrations after this kind of travel. shipping is not always a smooth ride .
Roger
Are you connected? As in is the transmitter on, aircraft bound and on..App up and running connected to aircraft? If Yes pic up aircraft, and hand fly it around a bit in front of you while observing those readings...do they change? What happens when you set it back down....back to "0"?
Sep 17, 2019, 08:22 PM
Registered User
HELIRON69's Avatar
A couple of pano shots taken this evening.

And one single pic.
Last edited by HELIRON69; Sep 17, 2019 at 08:28 PM.
Sep 17, 2019, 08:58 PM
What goes up must come down
Bush Pusher's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repaid1
Are you connected? As in is the transmitter on, aircraft bound and on..App up and running connected to aircraft? If Yes pic up aircraft, and hand fly it around a bit in front of you while observing those readings...do they change? What happens when you set it back down....back to "0"?
So when siting on the table the Spark should zeroed out 0.000 and when moving around it will apply a value so the gyro and the acc now know what it needs to do to stay level. is that basically correct
So with my values siting level at 0.001 that should be good
Sep 17, 2019, 09:49 PM
What goes up, hopefully lands!
Repaid1's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bush Pusher
So when siting on the table the Spark should zeroed out 0.000 and when moving around it will apply a value so the gyro and the acc now know what it needs to do to stay level. is that basically correct
So with my values siting level at 0.001 that should be good
If I am understanding what it is your looking at...yeah that would be correct. As far as calibrating.. I would fly it as is.. fly it out clear line of site..to say 300 foot away, 100 foot up and engage RTH if it flies right back to you and lands darn near where it took off from...you need no Cal of anything. BTW if it needed a IMU Cal because of error (Knocked around in shipping)...No Cal will fix it anyway.
Sep 25, 2019, 08:15 PM
When in doubt, buzz them...
pmshop's Avatar
Kerrville From Above - September 25, 2019 (3 min 26 sec)


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion It's worth buying the DJI Mavic now, or wait the 24th May DJI event? entrhopy92 Multirotor Drone Talk 16 Feb 12, 2019 06:18 PM
Contest MOVED AGAIN!!! SVSS ALES Saturday May 24th & Sunday May 25th awilmunder Electric Competition Soaring-F5J/ALES/e-Soaring 6 May 02, 2014 11:46 PM
Alert Memorial Day 2008 FICO Saturday May 24th pcphill Atlanta Area RC 109 May 29, 2008 12:16 PM
Discussion X5J eXtreme May 24th&25thth Sign-up Robert Burson Electric Sailplanes 44 May 28, 2008 04:01 PM
Contest SCSR May 24th F3F EVENT CANCELLED!!!! Brandon Multi Task F3X 33 May 23, 2008 06:50 PM