Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
May 24, 2017, 11:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cryhavoc38
What FAA 250g rule.
thats no longer an issue

No more need to register drones for recreational use.

Don't misquote me. Not talking about registration. I'm talking about potential amendments to part 107 or other FAA restrictions that MAY restrict use of UAVs over 250g that WOULD NOT apply to UAVs <250g, specifically flights over structures and people for non-commercial. Lets not get off topic here. Point is that for some, including our Northern UAVs pilots (CAN), the 250g threshold IS an issue and the Spark misses on this aspect.
to remove ads between posts
May 24, 2017, 11:53 AM
manual flying apologist
Looks interesting.

Isn't going to dethrone the mavic since it is 2 axis and 16 mins of flight time

But an asweome progression to smaller, lighter and smarter drones

Owning mini-quads and a mavic I'm not sure I'll buy one. But that is fine.
May 24, 2017, 11:53 AM
Tweaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredsheldon
The combo package comes with a controller. Can we have an answer to this please.
Yes, controller included.
May 24, 2017, 11:57 AM
Tweaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adidas4275
Looks interesting.

Isn't going to dethrone the mavic since it is 2 axis and 16 mins of flight time

But an asweome progression to smaller, lighter and smarter drones

Owning mini-quads and a mavic I'm not sure I'll buy one. But that is fine.
Right, just another tool in the bag, the best camera is the one with you.
May 24, 2017, 11:59 AM
manual flying apologist
Quote:
Originally Posted by RemE
Yes, controller included.
Wait.... isn't that the same controller as the mavic?

Err similar but no screen :/

Hmm. Wonder if it will be possible, but a hassle, to bind a mavic controller to it.

Since the mavic allows for 2 it would give me a reasons to buy 2 and then add a spark.
May 24, 2017, 11:59 AM
Critic at Large
My blog article is up at:
http://www.droneflyers.com/dji-spark...-hardware-etc/

The video in that article shows the actual machine fairly closely. Note that I had some options - but had no way of knowing at the time what the options/price are/were. Direct Link to Video Here

I think RCG types should order the $699 pkg because of the mile range and the Remote. This could make it into a useful tool for the lower end Real Estate and other such work - almost 1/2 the price of the Mavic Pro complete package.

Gadget freaks who want to attempt both the gesture control and the mobile device moves - well, be my guest! I'll have more experience after a couple more days.

BTW, not sure if anyone noticed the spec - 98 feet claimed on the downward VPS!
Last edited by craigiri; May 24, 2017 at 12:04 PM.
May 24, 2017, 12:07 PM
Critic at Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adidas4275
Hmm. Wonder if it will be possible, but a hassle, to bind a mavic controller to it.

Since the mavic allows for 2 it would give me a reasons to buy 2 and then add a spark.
The answer I got (not official) was not....I assume the LB/Occusync is totally different than "HD Wifi" advertised for the Spark. In other words, the Spark may just use a fine tuned version of the regular wifi protocol. Given the small size of the Spark, even 1200 feet or so should be MORE than enough for anything reasonable one may use it for. Of course, if people want to lose their machines....that it up to them!

It does have dual band GPS and good RTH features but with the shorter battery life one would have to watch the clock.
May 24, 2017, 12:12 PM
I noticed that compatibility with the DJI goggles is a 'coming soon' feature so just have to see how soon
May 24, 2017, 12:14 PM
Red combo order now sold out.
May 24, 2017, 12:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri
The answer I got (not official) was not....I assume the LB/Occusync is totally different than "HD Wifi" advertised for the Spark. In other words, the Spark may just use a fine tuned version of the regular wifi protocol. Given the small size of the Spark, even 1200 feet or so should be MORE than enough for anything reasonable one may use it for. Of course, if people want to lose their machines....that it up to them!

It does have dual band GPS and good RTH features but with the shorter battery life one would have to watch the clock.
Yeah, but it also uses Occusync which is what the Mavic and Phantom use. Why would they make it totally different? That would seem stupid to me.
May 24, 2017, 12:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri
My blog article is up at:
http://www.droneflyers.com/dji-spark...-hardware-etc/

The video in that article shows the actual machine fairly closely. Note that I had some options - but had no way of knowing at the time what the options/price are/were. Direct Link to Video Here

I think RCG types should order the $699 pkg because of the mile range and the Remote. This could make it into a useful tool for the lower end Real Estate and other such work - almost 1/2 the price of the Mavic Pro complete package.

Gadget freaks who want to attempt both the gesture control and the mobile device moves - well, be my guest! I'll have more experience after a couple more days.

BTW, not sure if anyone noticed the spec - 98 feet claimed on the downward VPS!
Yeah, the combo basically gets the remote for free. But it would still be nice to have just one controller for Mavics and Sparks.
May 24, 2017, 12:22 PM
Tweaker
The Spark is dual band 2.4/5.8Ghz

The Spark remote is also dual band, so it's not the same as the Mavic's, occusync isn't mentioned that I've seen.

It has a 2.5hr run time.
May 24, 2017, 12:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewsJr
Don't misquote me. Not talking about registration. I'm talking about potential amendments to part 107 or other FAA restrictions that MAY restrict use of UAVs over 250g that WOULD NOT apply to UAVs <250g, specifically flights over structures and people for non-commercial. Lets not get off topic here. Point is that for some, including our Northern UAVs pilots (CAN), the 250g threshold IS an issue and the Spark misses on this aspect.
I bet the DJI engineers worked like crazy to get it at 250g. Maybe they could offer a smaller battery which would get it to the weight limit.
May 24, 2017, 12:23 PM
Tweaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSlots
Yeah, but it also uses Occusync which is what the Mavic and Phantom use. Why would they make it totally different? That would seem stupid to me.
Phantom doesn't use occusync that I'm aware of, only Mavic.
May 24, 2017, 12:23 PM
DJI Testing / US Support
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSlots
Wifi is not ocusynce and no the p4 does not use occusync !

This is a wifi based craft
Latest blog entry: QUICK TIPS - Spark