This thread is privately moderated by nigelsheffield, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
May 17, 2017, 09:48 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Micro brushless bamboo quad 1s 6500kv

Made a start on another brushless micro quad,
Gotta use up those 20x 6500kv motors I bought lol!
This time I'm making the frame myself from bamboo skewers like I have done before with brushed motors.

Fashioning brushless motor mounts into the skewers took a lot of time and patience and careful measuring , drilling and filing.
Hope it can actually stand up to motor torque after all that work!
Name: IMG_20170517_081215.jpg
Views: 308
Size: 734.5 KB
Description:
So far the 2 sticks weigh 2.8 grams and will give a frame size of about 125mm diagonal between motor shafts, should give room for bigger props then on my 110 size build so one cell lipo should do well on this quad.
I've have this https://www.boldclash.com/boldclash-...dshot-600.html on the way to me and will probably fit it to this quad if it arrives in time otherwise I will use a h101 silverised board again and some cheap 3 amp ESC from bg.
Camera will of course be the akk bs2 https://de.aliexpress.com/store/prod...608.0.0.OlvVIp 3.5 grams and my favourite camera!
Flight controller and reciever will be the boldclash bwhoop b03 with silverised acro from ware.
http://www.boldclash.com/p/boldclash...ceiver-54.html
Mounting everything will be worked out as I go along, bamboo skewers make good frames as they don't conduct electricity and have a natural dampening quality so electronics can be mounted directly on the wood if need be and motor vibrations will be damped out without the need for soft mounting.
Last edited by nigelsheffield; Jun 28, 2017 at 06:45 AM.
to remove ads between posts
May 17, 2017, 03:50 PM
Thread OP
Got motors mounted on the skewers and after a bit more fiddling they line up about right on each stick,
Pictures show my method of joining the 2 sticks together, heat shrink is slid onto the stick before the second motor is screwed into place.
A servo horm is filed so that each stick fits snugly in a slot and is lined up with the horn.

Name: IMG_20170517_172652.jpg
Views: 152
Size: 548.1 KB
Description:

Name: IMG_20170517_172723.jpg
Views: 144
Size: 668.6 KB
Description:

Name: IMG_20170517_174116.jpg
Views: 222
Size: 709.7 KB
Description:
The heat shrink slides over the horn and holds everything together ,
Next I need to carefully line everything up and shrink the tubing , then check alignment again , adjust as necessary and once I'm happy I apply a tiny drop of CA glue, if when that dries everything is still ok I apply a little more thin CA glue to really make it hold tight.
This gives a strong but slightly flexible joint which seems to work well and holds up in a crash.( I've not brocken my brushed version of this yet! ).
Everything in the pictures comes in at 23 grams or so , so I'm on target for a fairly light build so far.
The escs in picture may not be used in the finished quad but are all I have for now and were already soldered onto the motors from previous testing,
If I use the 4in1 ESC I will save a gram or 2 which will be good but also will have d shot which is really nice imo.
May 17, 2017, 04:12 PM
Thread OP
Here is what I'm trying to beat weight wise,
Name: IMG_20170509_091005.jpg
Views: 258
Size: 612.9 KB
Description:
My previous build on a 110 frame came in at 34 grams, the frame weighs 9 grams alone...and can't really take more than 3 inch props, but it actually works well on 1 cell even with camera and battery upping the weight to around 45 grams.
BUT if I can save even 5 grams I think it will make a big difference to power at this level because flying without the 4.2 gram camera makes it much better, also I think the thin bamboo profile in the prop wash should be more efficient.
We will see....
Bed time now!
May 18, 2017, 04:06 AM
Thread OP
Name: IMG_20170518_095024.jpg
Views: 291
Size: 618.5 KB
Description:
All lined up(nearly) perfect, but may need some fine sanding to get all motors perfect later on, heat tube shrunk and glued in place, unfortunately I glued it on my daughter's desk as that was much clearer than my bench ,, I then proceeded to knock over the bottle of thin CA and spent the next 1.5 hours trying to clean up the mess, desk is now got a nice patch in the middle and her book she was writing has one side all stuck together, savable as pages can be opened enough to read but she WONT be happy!
Oh boy am I going to be in trouble when she gets home from school!
May 19, 2017, 08:28 AM
Time For Me To Fly!
This is awesome! Following with great interest.
May 19, 2017, 10:33 AM
Have you sorted out your CA problem? Was she terribly upset?
May 19, 2017, 10:46 AM
Thread OP
My daughter was very quiet which is not good , the book was not important apparently so that's something, the desk has a nasty looking patch now but it is smooth and I'm hoping it will fade in time( at least that's what I told her ).
Obviously I'm banned from using her desk ever again....
It not an antique desk or anything expensive , it's just something I made for her from kitchen work surface and some units, but before I did that it was looking very nice....
But she is ok about it now, she just got home and is singing and telling me all about her day so I think I'm not in the dog house any longer...
May 19, 2017, 11:18 AM
Team WarpSquad
Brilliant work, Nigel! I like how cleanly the motors mount on the carved bamboo sticks. I'm also relieved to hear that your daughter appears to have forgiven you.

Using servo horn to brace center is a neat idea! However, I wonder whether it might be even stronger to notch the bamboo skewers and nestle them in the center. Then use the FC and/or 4-in-1 ESC and possibly a light 1mm center plate to brace the skewers.

In case you didn't see it, have a look at the Tubular Ultralight Quads thread. Lots of ideas in there with tubes and sticks, and center plates custom designed for said sticks.
May 19, 2017, 11:42 AM
Thread OP
Thanks , I did look at that thread a while back, it's grown a lot since with lots of neat ideas!

Regarding notching the bamboo sticks I tried that before on thinner sticks with brushed motors and it did not work but I didn't brace it with top and bottom plates, so I looked through my pile of bits and came up with the servo horns, which worked so well I just did it again and again, no weakening of the sticks with any notching or joins , everything gets lined up by the servo horn and the heat shrink tubing is slightly flexible if crashed but solid enough for flying especially once some glue is applied, and I have lots of them lol!
Still, it remains to be seen how strong it will be in a brushless build with a camera too, in fact the whole thing may just rip itself to pieces on its first flight lol!
Hope not but if it does I'll just come up with something else, I have some carbon strip which I could make something from with some ideas I have and pics of others I've seen.
Just received another 110 frame in the post today, thinking of saving that for a 2or 3 s build with some real punch.
But need 4in1 ESC capable of 2 cell with d shot 600 and of course priced right for me!
May 19, 2017, 12:08 PM
Team WarpSquad
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelsheffield
Thanks , I did look at that thread a while back, it's grown a lot since with lots of neat ideas!
That thread is out of control, in the best possible way! Do read up. It's worth it.

Quote:
Regarding notching the bamboo sticks I tried that before on thinner sticks with brushed motors and it did not work but I didn't brace it with top and bottom plates, so I looked through my pile of bits and came up with the servo horns, which worked so well I just did it again and again, no weakening of the sticks with any notching or joins , everything gets lined up by the servo horn and the heat shrink tubing is slightly flexible if crashed but solid enough for flying especially once some glue is applied, and I have lots of them lol!
It's definitely a smart idea. The heat shrink has some give, unlike zip ties. Plus it can apply pressure over a largish surface area. I'm sure it will work fine for your 1S brushless build as well. As the saying goes: If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Quote:
Hope not but if it does I'll just come up with something else, I have some carbon strip which I could make something from with some ideas I have and pics of others I've seen.
I posted about this in the tubular thread, but didn't have the right terminology. Did some more googling and realized what I'm thinking of is called "diagonal lashing." Used this as a kid to tie sticks together into crosses (with one long arm for a sword ). Cool thing is that it makes for a very rigid joint between two sticks. I bet it would work well on a lightweight bamboo skewer quad.

Quote:
Just received another 110 frame in the post today, thinking of saving that for a 2or 3 s build with some real punch.
But need 4in1 ESC capable of 2 cell with d shot 600 and of course priced right for me!
It's fun to play around and learn with all kinds of builds! The weight-saving techniques you develop for 1S will usually translate to the more powerful builds in one way or another. Lowering AUW always helps. As your countryman, Colin Chapman, founder of Lotus Cars, famously said: "Simplify, then add lightness."
May 19, 2017, 12:35 PM
Thread OP
I tried the diagonal lashing along with notching and it worked but I used hot glue iirc so it all went loose pretty quickly, if I'd used ca or epoxy it would have probably worked fine.
But I still think the heat shrink over servo horn is better.
May 19, 2017, 02:23 PM
Team WarpSquad
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelsheffield
I tried the diagonal lashing along with notching and it worked but I used hot glue iirc so it all went loose pretty quickly, if I'd used ca or epoxy it would have probably worked fine.
Thanks for the follow-up. Interesting to hear that you tried the diagonal lashing, along with notching. Agreed that you would probably have to use CA or epoxy, along with non-elongating string, e.g. carbon tow or kevlar fishing line, to keep the connection rigid over time.

Quote:
But I still think the heat shrink over servo horn is better.
Hey, it works! And at the micro quad scale, esp. for a 1S build, the forces involved are quite modest. It's always good to have choices.
May 22, 2017, 12:13 PM
Fan of pusher multirotors
As someone who's repeatedly tried to rebuild a Tarantula X6 onto a chopstick frame with little success (when I managed to make a frame that worked the FC disappointed greatly - I'm currently waiting for new parts to turn it into a brushed iNav quad with GPS), I'm very interested.
May 22, 2017, 12:25 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachikoma
As someone who's repeatedly tried to rebuild a Tarantula X6 onto a chopstick frame with little success (when I managed to make a frame that worked the FC disappointed greatly - I'm currently waiting for new parts to turn it into a brushed iNav quad with GPS), I'm very interested.
My previois quads have been built from silverised h101 boards and performed superbly.
I just now had my first failure , the single cell brushless just fell out of the sky and won't connect to tx anymore, been flying these a year and this is the first failure I've had, however I am not sure if it's the fault of the dm006 board which I used on this build is just not as good as the h101 boards, or if its something sinister like voltage spikes from ESC with it having regenerative braking and everything is just connected to the lipo....?!?!
But it has worked for a number of days of lots and lots of use.....and there was no sign of interference in the video feed...

Either way I will be adding a 1000uf capacitor across vcc next time round just in case.
Last edited by nigelsheffield; May 22, 2017 at 01:09 PM.
May 23, 2017, 10:11 AM
Thread OP
Ok I need more h101 boards or other boards that can be silverised , the board that failed I changed the xtal but still no joy, unless I can get hold of a hot air station to try to change the Rx chip then I can't do anymore with it.
So I'm waiting on FC and 4in1 esc for this build now and in the mean time I ordered another 3 h8s boards off aliexpress to fuel my obsession...

Quick Reply