How do you land a plane? - RC Groups
May 17, 2017, 04:01 AM
Little green man
Discussion

How do you land a plane?

I would like to ask you how do you land a plane?

I've been reading about it and it seems like people agree that the plane should be landed with elevators up and used throttle to control rate of descent. But I've had little luck with this method.

What I do is I approach with about 30% throttle and use elevators to control rate of descent. I do this because I noticed that if I use the first method, I only have one shot at landing. If I use too little throttle, the plane slams down. The motor can't accelerate it fast enough to pull out of the landing. Also, If there's a gust of wind, I am not able to pull it up, it's going too slow. It seems to me that there is this narrow line that you have to get every thing exactly correct and then it will land nicely.

With 30% of the throttle I can still pull up if needed, but the plane goes slow enough to land it. Although it bounces a few times until it slows down completely.

Funny enough, almost every guy on youtube lands his plane similar to what I do. Contrary to what people are writing.
to remove ads between posts
May 17, 2017, 04:46 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
So how would you land a glider ?

Ray.
May 17, 2017, 05:21 AM
Little green man
Into a tree probably
May 17, 2017, 08:38 AM
Elevator controls speed
Throttle controls altitude

Yes, it's contrary, but it's also the truth.

On final, I use my elevator to get a mild nose down attitude, then adjust the throttle to control my glidepath. Just before touchdown I cut the throttle and flare to touchdown attitude.

With this method I can easily abort a landing right up until the flare, as I am at flying speed. Once into the flare my aircraft does have enough power to abort, but at that point you're so close to the ground that a touch and go usually makes more sense.

BTW, a glider is much the same, except that your speed is your altitude loss control, and you typically have to flare FAR more aggressively if you don't have spoilers or crow, because you need to get the airflow disrupted to get it on the ground. With practice, a good glider pilot will put the ship down with the nose 1-2" from a target, 9 times out of 10 (I'm an average pilot, my landings are usually within 1m of the target)
May 17, 2017, 11:13 AM
Yes throttle for decent rate elevator for speed. Having said that it is a balancing act between the two. Elevator is pitch control if you are "slamming into the ground" when using "too little throttle" you are not using elevator to increase lift for a flair, you are just flying it into the ground.

You also say the motor can't accelerate fast enough to pull out of the landing. Not sure why, electric motors have fast response and 99% of electric planes are way over powered compared to full scale planes with gas engines and they have the power to abort a landing.

I suspect you are using the controls in an either/or manor, one to the exclusion of the other, use them together.

As a side note, when using half flaps I can land my Fun Cub using throttle and rudder only without even touching the right stick. It doesn't slam into the ground and has plenty of power to abort and it isn't an over power Cub either.

Keep at it, practice practice and you will get it. Or just do what works for you, it's just a model
May 17, 2017, 12:03 PM
Drone offender FA377YHFNC
It won't be an absolute ideal landing but you will learn to do it right. And it will lead directly to perfect landings.

First, practice slowest possible level flybys, 3' off the deck right down the runway. Trim out your plane so the flyby is hands off, add throttle after the pass and your plane will climb out. Do that enough that you can dial in that minimum speed level flight positively and quickly.

Second, while doing that level flyby at 3' just slightly reduce the throttle as you approach the runway threshold. This isn't a do it and watch the carnage thing. Throttle is a real control and you have to nuance it just like you do all the others. A little additional throttle reduces your sink rate and extends the touchdown point. A little less throttle makes your sink rate increase and the touchdown point earlier.

The plane will land itself. You're just guiding it a bit.
May 17, 2017, 01:28 PM
Perpetual Noob
You can also practice "high altitude landings" by reducing throttle and using the elevator to keep the nose slightly pitched up. Keep reducing the throttle and using elevator until the plane stalls and loses its flying speed. This will teach both throttle and elevator control while leaving plenty of recovery room. It will also teach you what the airspeed should be for a greased landing on the mains.
May 17, 2017, 01:30 PM
DFS#000178
Cut the power and let go of the sticks.

The plane will eventually land.
May 17, 2017, 01:37 PM
Little green man
Quote:
Originally Posted by 600Bob
You also say the motor can't accelerate fast enough to pull out of the landing. Not sure why, electric motors have fast response and 99% of electric planes are way over powered compared to full scale planes with gas engines and they have the power to abort a landing.
When you have 30m high trees in front of you, it just can't accelerate fast enough to climb above them. My plane has 1:1 weight to thrust ratio. I don't know if that's good.

Another question - is the method for landing the plane different if I land it through FPV? - I always look through the camera and land it. I almost never watch it with naked eye during the landing.
May 17, 2017, 01:40 PM
Little green man
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampage
Cut the power and let go of the sticks.

The plane will eventually land.
That has happened many times . I am not a fan of that method.
May 17, 2017, 02:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by I14R10
When you have 30m high trees in front of you, it just can't accelerate fast enough to climb above them. My plane has 1:1 weight to thrust ratio. I don't know if that's good.

Another question - is the method for landing the plane different if I land it through FPV? - I always look through the camera and land it. I almost never watch it with naked eye during the landing.
Well if you have obstacles you can't out climb, or simply turn to avoid then you have to make the first landing count. I flew a full scale plane into a small runway one time where you could not out climb the hills, you flew in one direction and out the other no matter what the wind direction was. When you are sitting in the plane you want to do it right! LOL.

The technique is the same FPV or line of sight. I fly a quad FPV from launch to landing but would find it harder with a plane do to trying to judge the height above the ground while constantly moving. I would recommend not landing FPV until you are good at landing line of sight.
May 17, 2017, 02:29 PM
Little green man
Landing line of sight - believe it or not, I can't do it right 99% of the time. FPV landing, I nailed it the first time I did it. And every time after that. I don't really know what's wrong with me, but for the life of me, I can't do it line of sight.

Yeah, I can imagine you would not want to crash into a tree when you fly real plane.
May 17, 2017, 04:08 PM
Learn to build with wood.
What kind of plane is it? It makes a difference.
May 17, 2017, 04:37 PM
Little green man
Trainstar tough trainer https://hobbyking.com/en_us/trainsta...rsion-pnf.html
May 17, 2017, 05:00 PM
B for Bruce
Fighter planes in WW2 did not enjoy a 1:1 thrust to weight. In fact only jet fighters of the F15 and F15 era and since have had 1:1 and better when lightly loaded. So it's not your thrust to weight. If you model does not accelerate smartly when you throttle up it may be that you do not have the optimum prop diameter and pitch for the model. Or there are some other things going on.

For landing you want to use the elevator to set the speed as mentioned already. But it should be a speed that is on the slower side of the spectrum. You want to be fairly nose high but flying at a speed comfortably above the stall speed. But slower by a lot than your normal cruise around speed. Then use the power to set up the descent. And be ready to add a little more elevator when the wheels are only a few inches off the ground.