Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
May 16, 2017, 08:42 AM
Discussion

RC Flying Under $100 Foam Plane

Hey! I just wanted to share my experience with the FT Mini Scout foam plane. I have learned how to fly using it and the best thing is you can have everything needed to build it for under $100...that's including the transmitter, glue gun, foam, everything!

The full build and flight Videos and Pics are documented in this How To.

I just wanted to mention it here to say that its an awesome foam design and encourage beginners to try it out! I have built and crashed it more than 6 times now

You can also use it as an FPV platform!
to remove ads between posts
May 16, 2017, 10:44 AM
treefinder
Great! now that you have all the one time purchase items, you can get your cost per plane down to the $25-$30 range and really have "funperbuck"!
May 16, 2017, 11:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer
Great! now that you have all the one time purchase items, you can get your cost per plane down to the $25-$30 range and really have "funperbuck"!
Yeah! Good point, the biggest expenditure is the transmitter and I often can easily borrow the ESC and battery from one if I want to fly another! Thanks for commenting. By the way, I love your profile picture!
May 16, 2017, 12:49 PM
treefinder
Ah, well some times the truth hurts - but its fun to watch!
If you swap parts and scratch build with dtf, your per plane cost drops to a few bucks. But we quickly learn the motor/esc/servo cost is so low, the temptation to build "just one more" takes over and you quickly have40+ planes ready to fly! So many planes, so little time!
May 16, 2017, 02:07 PM
Hot glue held together by foam
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer
Ah, well some times the truth hurts - but its fun to watch!
If I had a dollar for every time that plane goes into the tree ......
May 17, 2017, 03:29 PM
Can't be certain But does this build Use the (imo Goofy) "flite test "Leave the paper on the foam method ?
And if it does ! How does it stay on/ or for how long?
Usually $ store foam delaminates it's paper on the way home from the store.
May 17, 2017, 04:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bare
Can't be certain But does this build Use the (imo Goofy) "flite test "Leave the paper on the foam method ?
And if it does ! How does it stay on/ or for how long?
Usually $ store foam delaminates it's paper on the way home from the store.
Yep it uses that method and believe it or not I have never had it peel off where I didn't want it too. The main reason they use that method is for making hinges for the control surfaces and for making some of the foldings where the paper on the back sort of acts as a strengthener. Yes, it's a little more weight but it doesn't affect how it flies. The way I keep it from peeling from the edges is by lining them with a small layer of hot glue and then wiping most of it off.

But honestly I have never tried a plane design without the keep the paper on method. How does that work as far as control surfaces and making the fuselage if its a box type?
May 17, 2017, 05:04 PM
Dollar store Foam Core's paper is held on by wishfull thinking basically. Grab one end and it peels off. Get it damp and it falls off .. etc, etc.
Decent Graphics Foam core needs a chisel to remove it's paper.. Making it useless for Toy airplanes.
Paper is most of the weight of foam core. Not ideal when left on, however briefly.
3M's "Blenderm" tape is wonderous stuff as hinges.. try some? it won't dissapoint.
May 17, 2017, 05:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentProps
But honestly I have never tried a plane design without the keep the paper on method. How does that work as far as control surfaces and making the fuselage if its a box type?
I only build Dollar Tree Foam Board planes with the paper left on if it's meant to be a "quick 'n' dirty" disposable plane ( that I know isn't going to last long ) ..... OR ..... if it's meant to be a fast ( heavier ) plane - in which case I cover the exposed paper with lightweight packing tape as a moisture barrier .

All my slow flyer planes are made out of 'paperless' foam board , and the pieces are simply hot glued together . For a box type fuselage , I just glue the edge of a side piece to the flat part of a bottom piece , etc . If in doubt , you can always add lightweight tape on the corners .

For hinges , you can make a hot glue hinge , or a tape hinge , or use store bought nylon hinges . For a tape hinge , use tape on BOTH sides , with 'sticky-to-sticky' contact in the small gap .

Hot glue hinge 'how to' video :

Depron Foam Hot Glue Hinge (1 min 22 sec)

This 60" x 60" Old Fogey was built entirely out of 'paperless' Dollar Tree Foam Board and hot glue . The center part of the wing , h-stab/elevator , v-stab/rudder and fuselage bottom are double layer - everything else is single layer . The wing is strong enough that it has no spar ( other than a length of tape on the underside ) , but I wouldn't try a loop ......

FT Old Fogey-ish with 60" wingspan (1 min 56 sec)
May 18, 2017, 03:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by balsa or carbon
I only build Dollar Tree Foam Board planes with the paper left on if it's meant to be a "quick 'n' dirty" disposable plane ( that I know isn't going to last long ) ..... OR ..... if it's meant to be a fast ( heavier ) plane - in which case I cover the exposed paper with lightweight packing tape as a moisture barrier .

All my slow flyer planes are made out of 'paperless' foam board , and the pieces are simply hot glued together . For a box type fuselage , I just glue the edge of a side piece to the flat part of a bottom piece , etc . If in doubt , you can always add lightweight tape on the corners .

For hinges , you can make a hot glue hinge , or a tape hinge , or use store bought nylon hinges . For a tape hinge , use tape on BOTH sides , with 'sticky-to-sticky' contact in the small gap .

Hot glue hinge 'how to' video :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMtJ8DN0_kw

This 60" x 60" Old Fogey was built entirely out of 'paperless' Dollar Tree Foam Board and hot glue . The center part of the wing , h-stab/elevator , v-stab/rudder and fuselage bottom are double layer - everything else is single layer . The wing is strong enough that it has no spar ( other than a length of tape on the underside ) , but I wouldn't try a loop ......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGLj43y-VUM
Nice...that explains a lot. Next plane I do will probably be that method then.
May 18, 2017, 03:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentProps
Nice...that explains a lot. Next plane I do will probably be that method then.
Where I live , moisture in the air and wet grass is a big problem for the paper skins on DTFB . But just the foam ( with the paper peeled off ) isn't affected by moisture .
May 19, 2017, 05:38 PM
I have built a few dlg wings. I use thin packing paper over the paper then fold to form the leading edge. 3mm flat carbon and balsa ribs covered with"new stuff" 1.7mil laminating film finishes the rest of the wing to the trailing edge.