Mini Staggerwing ... Swap Pod Series - RC Groups
May 15, 2017, 06:45 PM
Tony Audsley Retired Locksmith
Build Log

Mini Staggerwing ... Swap Pod Series

Hi guys, another model to add to the Swap Pod Series

My good mate Adam (scorchythebear) will be heading up this one as he has once again very generously volunteered to do the first build

Good luck with the build mate, I hope there aren't too many mistakes on the plan /patterns

Look forward to seeing pics of the build

Lockey
Last edited by Lockey; May 15, 2017 at 08:04 PM.
to remove ads between posts
May 15, 2017, 06:45 PM
Reserved for specs etc

Lockey
May 15, 2017, 07:45 PM
How small are you going? I had great success reducing the plans by 15%.
May 15, 2017, 08:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpot1
How small are you going? I had great success reducing the plans by 15%.
Hi Jason, this one has been modified somewhat, wings are just reduced but the fuselage has been made wider and I think I made nose a tad longer to accommodate the swap pod

Wing span is 685mm and its about 650 long

Lockey
May 15, 2017, 09:24 PM
When cows fly!
Love the Staggerwing! Keep up the great work guys! Adam, look forward to the build pics and the maiden video....just no witnesses! Cause you tend to end up in the trees
May 16, 2017, 09:33 AM
Careful,.. confident,.. CRASH!
Nice one Lockey!.... Another thread I can keep an eye on ..... Don't listen to him Adam, you get caught in the trees any time you like!!
Have you been out and found a park to fly in yet? another idea wold be to approach a farmer with an open grass field you may be allowed to fly in ??

David you need an 800mm Biplane for you ranch......
May 16, 2017, 11:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukejet
Nice one Lockey!.... Another thread I can keep an eye on ..... Don't listen to him Adam, you get caught in the trees any time you like!!
Have you been out and found a park to fly in yet? another idea wold be to approach a farmer with an open grass field you may be allowed to fly in ??

David you need an 800mm Biplane for you ranch......
There is a 100% chance that 90% of my build threads will end with a video of me landing in a tree. I'm 70% sure of that.

In terms of flying in wide open spaces there are a couple of options, all require a journey. As an aside I once complained to Jen's Australian cousins that we live in the middle of nowhere and it was terrible not being able to get to the shops without driving. They gave me a funny look (the nearest village is 2.5 miles away and the nearest large town 5ish). Back to flying locations, there is an enormous rec in the village, a cricket pitch and Jen's uncle has a farm which I'm sure he wouldn't mind me flying on. So there are possibilities.

Back to the build, plans printed and I'll stick 'em together later
May 16, 2017, 11:41 AM
Hey Adam! I'm 100% sure I wouldn't be flying in your back ward.... I'd be freakin!!
Either the cricket ground Or better still the farm would be much better.
Most if not all of my flying is done out of town at the sports complex ( 3x cricket ovals, BMX track2x very large fields) And yes I pack up the car and drive out. It's about 4 to 5Km distance.
Your Wife Jen would probably be keen to go out to the uncles farm....( depending on family ties )
When we go on a family trip I call out "flying field" every time I see a great spot to fly. It would be SO awesome to just walk out the back yard to an open field and take-off!!
Yeah..... like David..... Lucky Baztard!!
But he still manages to strike a tree!! If you could call it that ......Hahahaha...
May 16, 2017, 02:47 PM
When cows fly!
It takes great skill to hit my trees! I have trees, I just don't tend to fly near them!

Don Quixote Flight at the Cold Ass Ranch! (6 min 21 sec)
May 16, 2017, 05:58 PM
Duke, the farm would be the best option. I'll ask Farmer Ken on Sunday when I see him.

Beautiful David. I'd happily swap some of our trees for some of your wide open spaces! What camera did you use, It's very clear.

Trees weren't a problem where I grew up in the North East, just where we live now there are thousands of the buggers I think the garden is 8 acres (mainly trees) and Jen's family have 50 acres of, guess what, woodland!

Some building, of sorts, has happened

Edit: Apologies for heavy editing I kept forgetting stuff.
Last edited by scorchythebear; May 16, 2017 at 06:09 PM.
May 16, 2017, 06:10 PM
Good stuff Adam .. by the way mate, you are supposed to "swap the pod" not keep making a new one

Lockey
May 16, 2017, 06:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockey
Good stuff Adam .. by the way mate, you are supposed to "swap the pod" not keep making a new one

Lockey
True . But the more pods I have the fewer trees I have to climb to retrieve the previous one
May 16, 2017, 06:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorchythebear
true . But the more pods i have the fewer trees i have to climb to retrieve the previous one :d
Sounds good to me

Lockey
May 16, 2017, 09:13 PM
Lol....
May 16, 2017, 09:58 PM
When cows fly!
Yup....foam attracting trees! LMAO!