This thread is privately moderated by RickC_RCAV8R, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
May 15, 2017, 03:09 PM
Waste Nothing
Discussion

RIX : Whole NEW World !

Gentlemen :

A whole new world opened for me in the RC hobby . This recent purchase is by far the most prolific one that I have made in RC modelling in 45 years . An Anet A8 3D Printer . I found this Prusa i3 knock off on a flash sale by Gearbest.com for $161 US . With the exchange and shipping by DHL , the final price landed at my door worked out to be just over $250 CDN . The A8 , in this form of a KIT , enables the lower price . This very quiet desktop printer is capable of printing the most common PLA and ABS plastic filaments with ease .

The kit required nearly 2 days of work to assemble properly and to set up for printing . Building a piece of equipment in this manner enables the user to have the necessary knowledge of dis-assembly and modifications of the printer , its proper setup and any troubleshooting to come . While the printer was in transit , I availed myself to extensive Inet research on the 3D printing subject . I downloaded several tutorial , tech tip , modification and general knowledge videos ; enough to fill some 4 DVDs for the shop reference library . I also downloaded some extra free software like OpenScad , Meshlab and CURA to have the necessary ones to perform complete designs to the printing stages . Popular 3D search engine websites like Thingiverse.com and Yeggi.com provide hundreds of thousands of FREE print files for nearly anything that can be imagined . Simply searching for subjects like Walkera or DJI yields a plethora of printable files .

I am finding that when this printed is modified with several frame stiffening , filament feeds , extruder mods and bvelt tensioning does , in fact , turn this cheap printer that can make prints as well as ones that cost 10 times the price . My current accuracy is well under (point 1 mm / 100 microns) with these mods installed . The overall print finishes are also showing these accuracies .

Now that my world has opened up with this printer , I am delving into the free files for common type quadcopters like the ZMR250 as a test print . With the parts printed so far (shown in the pix) , this model is lighter than the CF one that I own . And the PLA plastic arms ARE very tough to break ! Although I have not yet attempted to print items like propellors , roller bearings or impellor blades , I am confident that they would actually work for RC models . We shall see . In closing , please check out these pix of a ZMR250 in progress . Also note the various printer mods installed (all printed in red) . So this old dog had little difficulty assembling and setting up this valuable printer . I would highly recommend that any RC modeler obtain one of these and open up his world !

Regards to all of my readers , mates and the modelers who tend to push the envelope . RickC_RCAV8R
Last edited by RickC_RCAV8R; May 15, 2017 at 05:26 PM.
to remove ads between posts
May 15, 2017, 07:32 PM
twitter.com/hobbygeek053
following
May 15, 2017, 10:30 PM
Waste Nothing
@Geek :

Thanx so much , my friend . Purchasing this 3D printer has really opened up the possibilities within the RC hobby for me . I am finding that there are a lot of modelers who print their designs and modifications to existing products . Examples such as the DJI Inspire 2 or the DJI Mavic can be printed off ! RC model parts also include most of the hinges , fasteners and even ball joint connectors and clevises . I find this amazing to have as a resource on tap .

As I am an older dog in this game having finally stumbling onto this technology , I was thinking of posting a couple of items that have to do with the necessary mods and required FREE software for others contemplating this step . I could also include some of the reprint STL machine code files and possible linx to YT videos . As all of htese are 'public domain' licensed files , there are no problems with copyrighted materials . Open Source . Thanx again for your interest . Rick
May 16, 2017, 05:50 AM
AMA 79169
Great to see your project making parts!
That price point is not bad and with the initial rush in development over, sane prices are being seen in the hobby market.

This documentary from Netflix should be on any 3D nuts list to watch:
Print The Legend

-=Doug