RCGroups "How-To" Series - Grumman Retracts - RC Groups

RCGroups "How-To" Series - Grumman Retracts

RCGroups is having a "How-to" contest. New threads are being created everyday. We wanted to feature one that is great!

Splash

"How-to" Grumman Style Retract System

In our most recent contest the users were asked to create some "how-to" threads that would help out other RCG users. These are things you have learned along the way that will help your fellow modeler out.

We wanted to feature one of our latest entries. RCGroups user Bart83 has put together a great thread on how he added retracts to his Grumman Goose. The great part is that this can be used on other aircraft as well.

Here is an excerpt from Bart's thread:

"To start the design the first thing you need is a section drawing of the location of where you want to build the main wheels. Draw the wheels in their retracted position. When your happy with the wheel position in the fuselage you can figure out the pivot point for the lower suspension arm. It is probably a good idea to make the point as deep in the fuse as possible. This way you have pretty long suspension arms."

Video

Grumman Goose , landing gear (0 min 46 sec)

Read the article and learn about our "How-to" contest

A big thanks to Bart and his killer thread. We are looking forward to seeing all the other "how-to" threads that will be created. Go here to visit the Grunman retract thread.

Be sure to check out our contest and submit your "How-to" thread to enter.

Learn about our "How-to" contest!

May 15, 2017, 07:33 PM
DFS#000178
First company to do a foamy ARF Catalina, Goose or Albatross with retracts is going to get so much of my money...
May 17, 2017, 08:50 PM
Jaspreet Dhanjal
wow
May 17, 2017, 09:50 PM
Been on This exact flight a few times. (fishing camp)
Pacific Coastal was the Largest operator of Geese anywhere (Until two were flown into a mountainside one summer)
Note the wingtip floats (only the V earliest models had the Fixed floats) For obvious reason.
Also note the independent action of the LG
Dawsons Landing - Grumman Goose Landing - Time Lapse (1 min 33 sec)
May 19, 2017, 04:35 AM
71% of the world is runway . .
Thanks for promoting my thread Jim T ! I hope it is of help to the builders on this forum.

Cheers,

Bart

Some video's of my Goose. The first is the first flight from land the second video you can see the Goose on amphibious ops

Grumman Goose , maiden from the beach. (5 min 4 sec)

Grumman Goose 3rd Flight (7 min 48 sec)