May 19, 2017, 07:40 AM
Chch, NZ
I can agree woyh Arxangel on this one. It doesn't seem to matter what you do to the Raptor, it WILL tip stall eventually. With the stock wing I found a heap of aileron differential certainly helped, but by no means eliminated the problem.
The Phoenix on the other hand is a toattly different kettle of fish.
Very predictable handling, if you do push it into a stall it will just nose over and recover, never had it spiral on me.
I love the Phoenix. A high fun factor for reasonably low $$. It has quite a fan base as well with all sorts of mods and tweaks done to it.
I like to add a mini fpv back pack sometimes and go sloping/thermalling on a local slope with the aid of a variometer, very relaxing. This is NOT a hot liner!
I would recommend not using the wing to fuse fixing screws but instead punch a couple of holes through the fuse, install cross fuse dowels, and rubber band the wing on. It will save you tearing the back out of the wing on less than perfect landings.
check the forum for more:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...G-Phoenix-2000
to remove ads between posts
May 19, 2017, 02:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenniffs
I can agree woyh Arxangel on this one. It doesn't seem to matter what you do to the Raptor, it WILL tip stall eventually. With the stock wing I found a heap of aileron differential certainly helped, but by no means eliminated the problem.
The Phoenix on the other hand is a toattly different kettle of fish.
Very predictable handling, if you do push it into a stall it will just nose over and recover, never had it spiral on me.
I love the Phoenix. A high fun factor for reasonably low $$. It has quite a fan base as well with all sorts of mods and tweaks done to it.
I like to add a mini fpv back pack sometimes and go sloping/thermalling on a local slope with the aid of a variometer, very relaxing. This is NOT a hot liner!
I would recommend not using the wing to fuse fixing screws but instead punch a couple of holes through the fuse, install cross fuse dowels, and rubber band the wing on. It will save you tearing the back out of the wing on less than perfect landings.
check the forum for more:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...G-Phoenix-2000
OK that's interesting, how can it be that with the same wings the Raptor tip stalls but the Phoenix 2000 does not?
May 20, 2017, 05:14 AM
Chch, NZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 06
OK that's interesting, how can it be that with the same wings the Raptor tip stalls but the Phoenix 2000 does not?
Totally different fuselage setups.
I had asked the same question a long time ago!
May 28, 2017, 07:12 AM
Any news? I am follow this thread.
May 28, 2017, 05:40 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patryck
Any news? I am follow this thread.
Plane is on the way! Should be here hopefully sometimes end of next week... so expect more info the week after that!
Jun 11, 2017, 02:17 AM
Thread OP
Plane has been at customs for a week now! I think I will kill somebody from DHL next time I get the chance!
Jun 11, 2017, 03:36 PM
That is nerve-wracking. We are waiting here.
Jun 16, 2017, 02:17 PM
Thread OP
OK, the Ranger 2000 finally landed in my hands!

To be completely honest, when I opened up the box and looked through the contents... I felt something I haven't felt in a while! I felt restless, excited... a sense of euphoria was rising from within... this is something that I don't feel when I open up yet another micro quad racer to get it ready for flight! Oh this is a feeling I've missed! A good amount of work has gone into this plane before it was shipped out, and it will take very little to get it ready for flying! This is in a serious contrast to what I received when I got the Skywalker EVE-2000 and the X-UAV Clouds - these birds needed 110% assembly! Kinda makes you wonder what costs so much about them if exactly ZERO hours of labour have gone into them prior to arriving at my door!

Anyway... got some stuff to do over the weekend and Monday, but first thing Tuesday I am getting on this, so more info and photos will soon follow!
Jun 17, 2017, 06:11 AM
Chch, NZ
Am looking forward to seeing what it looks like inside, I can find no photos on the net apart from the ones you posted up above...
Jun 17, 2017, 09:09 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenniffs
Am looking forward to seeing what it looks like inside, I can find no photos on the net apart from the ones you posted up above...
The plane is back at the office now, so I can't take any photos, besides, I do like to do a bit of setup and take photos with my DSLR, rather than my phone.

The fusealge is actually narrower than the Raptor... still not sure if that is going to be a good thing, or a bad thing, and I will have inquire as to the reasoning behind that decision, because in my book a narrower fuselage does reduce drag in the air, but it also doesn't allow for a larger battery, which might actually limit the max achievable flight time... for those of us who like to go there! I think the majority of people are actually pretty happy with 20-30 mins of flight time, so they should be fine! If this flies as well as I hope it will... this would make a killer slope soarer!

On the inside we have a few plywood plates and an area dedicated for the Volantex video camera, which should be arriving within the next 2 weeks at the most... I hope! Everything is pre-wired, receiver is installed, wing mounting looks very interesting... it is done with some clips that prevent the wings from dislodging once you mount them on. Spars in the wings are aluminium, and so are the joining spars... not sure why they didn't go with carbon here. For some reason there are two spars in the wings... but both are at the front... will have to inquire about that as well! However, because of all that sparing... the wings feel very stiff and solid!

The tail assembly is different from the Ranger or the Raptor... but still not sure how it will fare in the long run... will have to wait and see I guess! If they have used the same plastic for the assembly as for the fuselage... it should be durable! All control surfaces except the rudder and flaps are carbon reinforced, and the ailerons are LONG! Servos for the flaps are included, but are not installed, all other servos are installed and wired to the receiver. Funny thing is, the servos on this one are now mounted exactly where I moved the ones on my Raptor to, at the back of the tail.

Access to the fuselage is limited as there is only one narrow front hatch, but since the fuselage material is super tough, I guess you can cut out an opening on the side of the fuselage if you need more access to the back fuselage area!

One thing I find weird about this plane is the motor mount. The prop is 8 or 9 inches... so smaller than the Raptor or Ranger, and the angle is very flat... the thrust line goes way above the CG point on the wings... I am very curious to see how this will perform in the air and how it will handle... nose down issues, etc., remains to be seen!
Jun 18, 2017, 01:41 PM
Waiting for full review!
Jun 18, 2017, 09:08 PM
Finally. Also waiting for the full review.
Jun 20, 2017, 03:38 PM
Thread OP
OK... flew it shortly today... and I can say a few words...

Surprising, impressive, nothing burned, doesn't tip stall...
Jun 20, 2017, 05:15 PM
Pics please!!!
Jun 21, 2017, 03:26 AM
Chch, NZ
C'mon man! The suspense is killing me!!
Pics please!!!
I don't care if they are from your phone, something's better than nothing...

Quick Reply