World's First SkyDive from a Drone - RC Groups

World's First SkyDive from a Drone

Another World's First Drone stunt has taken place this past week with a man skydiving from a drone. On May 12th skydiver Ingus Augstkalns climbed up a 393 foot tower and awaited a huge drone to lift him up to jump altitude.

Splash

Man SkyDive's from a Drone

Another World's First Drone stunt has taken place this past week with a man skydiving from a drone. On May 12th skydiver Ingus Augstkalns climbed up a 393 foot tower and awaited a huge drone to lift him up to jump altitude. The drone used for this feat was a massive 28 motor machine built by Aerones who has had drones in other publicity stunts like pulling wakeboarders across a lake. Aerones specializes in building large custom drones for commercial and rescue applications and they were the perfect fit for this amazing accomplishment.

The jump took place Māļi, Latvia with cooperation from the government. They started the drone lift from the tower to reduce risk of life should a failure occur at an altitude not high enough to deploy a chute. Once Ingus took hold of the carry handle, the drone promptly lifted him up to a height of 1082 feet where he released into a freefall and parachute landing as planned, successfully pulling off the world's first skydive from a drone. The goal was to showcase the reliability and lifting capacity of drone tech to show how it might be used in fire-fighting, rescue operations and more. Watch the world's first drone skydive in the video below.

May 15, 2017, 08:16 AM
Build, Fly, Crash, Repeat
That is crazy! Lots of power there.
May 15, 2017, 10:05 AM
DWA
DWA
1Corinthians 13:1-8
Wow that does seem a bit crazy.

Dave
May 15, 2017, 11:33 AM
Born again RC'er
Noob question, maybe, but why take off from the lake?
May 15, 2017, 12:13 PM
I wonder how much each of those costs? Imagine the potential. If it can carry the weight of a human body, how about a several gallons of water. You could have a whole squadron of drones to fight a wild fire instead of single large helos/aircraft and prevent the risk to human life.
May 15, 2017, 01:22 PM
RCG Staff
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryRigged
No idea, but maybe that was the only suitable take off site nearby. Probably not.
May 15, 2017, 01:41 PM
Keep Looking Up
Quote:
If the drone failed from a height too low to open parachute, but high enough to kill a person, that would be a very bad day.

On the other hand if he already high enough to open chute when he takes off, the risk is much lower.
May 15, 2017, 03:51 PM
Crazy Canuck
Sounds like something that could fit in the PP event. Say how heavy can the quads in certain classes/size lift competition both day and night with LED lights..
May 15, 2017, 04:11 PM
..and the point of this was?
May 15, 2017, 04:23 PM
RCG Staff
Publicity and to show what these things can do.
May 15, 2017, 04:56 PM
Born again RC'er
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWX232
If the drone failed from a height too low to open parachute, but high enough to kill a person, that would be a very bad day.

On the other hand if he already high enough to open chute when he takes off, the risk is much lower.
No, I don't think that was it. Did you watch the video? The lake was several hundred yards away from the tower - the skydiver waited on the top of the tower. The tower was tall enough to mitigate your risk (tall enough for the guy to open his chute if something failed right away).
May 15, 2017, 05:36 PM
RCG Staff
Yep, the tower start point was to mitigate risk. No reason shown or given for launching the drone from the water.
May 15, 2017, 06:01 PM
I wonder if my Align Trex 800E Pro dfc could do the same thing?
May 15, 2017, 06:09 PM
they likely took off from the lake because the ground looked very uneven and the lake provide them with a flat surface . with a huge spread like and a rope dragging you run a big risk of clipping a prop on the ground if you don't have a clean lift off.
the rope will float on the water and will not get caught up on anything
May 15, 2017, 07:10 PM
Keep Looking Up
Quote:
Quote:
No, I don't think that was it. Did you watch the video? The lake was several hundred yards away from the tower - the skydiver waited on the top of the tower. The tower was tall enough to mitigate your risk (tall enough for the guy to open his chute if something failed right away).

I just re-read you question. I thought you were asking why NOT take off from the lake (like why not lift guy up right from the ground).

Why DID they? No idea.