Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
May 15, 2017, 03:39 AM
Discussion

What extreme things have you done to support your RC hobby?

What extreme things have you done to support your RC hobby?
to remove ads between posts
May 15, 2017, 12:04 PM
Hot glue held together by foam
I don't know how 'extreme' this is , but I sell scratch built planes locally to support my hobby . The airframes are made of Dollar Store foam ( $1 a sheet ) or HobbyKing modeling foam ( 67 cents a sheet ) . Whatever profit I make in a month , becomes my RC budget for the following month .
May 16, 2017, 02:22 AM
You are great to do this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by balsa or carbon
I don't know how 'extreme' this is , but I sell scratch built planes locally to support my hobby . The airframes are made of Dollar Store foam ( $1 a sheet ) or HobbyKing modeling foam ( 67 cents a sheet ) . Whatever profit I make in a month , becomes my RC budget for the following month .
May 16, 2017, 05:58 AM
50 yrs ago, half a dozen other guys and I bought a 35 acre field out in the boonies to build a flying field. Our flying club started there. We now average close to a 100 members every yr.
The members do most of the work keeping it in condition.
As you can see we fly all winter long.

Gord.
May 17, 2017, 01:18 AM
Bravo! You mean 50 years ago you already started this bobby? What's the name of your flying club?

Quote:
Originally Posted by flypaper 2
50 yrs ago, half a dozen other guys and I bought a 35 acre field out in the boonies to build a flying field. Our flying club started there. We now average close to a 100 members every yr.
The members do most of the work keeping it in condition.
As you can see we fly all winter long.

Gord.
Last edited by mushia; May 18, 2017 at 12:49 AM.
May 17, 2017, 06:06 AM
Called the Kingston RC Modellers.
When we first started out around 1960 we kept getting booted out of wherever we went to fly. We were allowed to fly at the local airport until an outsider ran into the rudder of a Catalina.
It's the club members who make it work. The guys in the building business built the clubhouse in the 70s. In the spring we have a work party to come out and clean up the place, Cut down some trees. Cut brush, where we rent a mulcher and wood splitter. We use the trees for firewood. One member in electronics, built a weather station on top of the clubhouse. Real handy as it tells the windspeed , direction and temp at the field . He put a thing on our club website where you just click on it to tell the weather at the field. The club just paid for the hardware. Another member who is a trucker. keeps the road into and the parking lot plowed out in the winter. Even plowed to the shi%$er door.
The club members do the work in appreciation for a place to fly.
Field barriers that one of the members built. Some of our up and coming club members flying indoors in the winter.
Me checking out a fellow fliers heli.

Gord.
Last edited by flypaper 2; May 17, 2017 at 06:19 AM.
May 18, 2017, 12:58 AM
Wow. This's awesome! You are all talented!

Quote:
Called the Kingston RC Modellers.
When we first started out around 1960 we kept getting booted out of wherever we went to fly. We were allowed to fly at the local airport until an outsider ran into the rudder of a Catalina.
It's the club members who make it work. The guys in the building business built the clubhouse in the 70s. In the spring we have a work party to come out and clean up the place, Cut down some trees. Cut brush, where we rent a mulcher and wood splitter. We use the trees for firewood. One member in electronics, built a weather station on top of the clubhouse. Real handy as it tells the windspeed , direction and temp at the field . He put a thing on our club website where you just click on it to tell the weather at the field. The club just paid for the hardware. Another member who is a trucker. keeps the road into and the parking lot plowed out in the winter. Even plowed to the shi%$er door.
The club members do the work in appreciation for a place to fly.
Field barriers that one of the members built. Some of our up and coming club members flying indoors in the winter.
Me checking out a fellow fliers heli.

Gord.
May 18, 2017, 05:14 AM
Me.? not talented. It's the club members talents in what they work at that makes it what it is.

Gord.
May 18, 2017, 04:00 PM
I went into the RC plane and heli import and distribution business. Found out the hard way that is was too much work, considering I had a real job and was building my own house at the same time.

I closed down the business after a couple of years and have enough left over planes and related equipment, to last a few lifetimes of flying and crashing.
May 19, 2017, 04:03 AM
Then you are lucky to have such friends. And I believe they are also happy to be your friends.

Quote:
Me.? not talented. It's the club members talents in what they work at that makes it what it is.

Gord.
May 19, 2017, 04:05 AM
, enjoy your flying and try to advoid crashing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by easyrider604
I went into the RC plane and heli import and distribution business. Found out the hard way that is was too much work, considering I had a real job and was building my own house at the same time.

I closed down the business after a couple of years and have enough left over planes and related equipment, to last a few lifetimes of flying and crashing.
May 20, 2017, 01:31 PM
Drone offender FA377YHFNC
I advocate the dissolution of the AMA whenever and wherever possible. They have long since abandoned promoting and defending the hobby and are now carving it up into "us" and "them" while defending their territory like a bulldog, spending much more on Taj-Muncie, private flying fields and transcontinental quarterly junkets for muckey-mucks than they do on local field acquisition and improvements. They died 25 years ago. We need to cut off their oxygen supply and bury them deep for the good of the hobby.