Jun 01, 2017, 07:01 AM
flyin' fool
Thread OP
A few words on motors..............

The Sunnysky R1406 seems to be a bit scarce lately, like a lot of tiny drone motors. I got mine from BangGood and GoodLuckBuy. They sometimes come in different colors and take note that the label CW and CCW refers to the prop nut rotation.

Any other brand in the same weight and kv category will work as well. The 33K kv allows for small 2S lipos and the RPM to produce amazing thrust from the small 5X3 prop with low amp draw. It's all about low weight and these new generation of tiny drone motors makes flying small even better.

Fly Small, have a BALL.
Last edited by goldguy; Jun 01, 2017 at 07:45 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 01, 2017, 07:16 AM
flyin' fool
Thread OP
The flying machine itself is made from 1.3# 6mm EPP. The bow is 2mm CF rod and the cross piece/spine/vert. stab support 1X3 CF flat. The hinge and CF slots were melted out with a modified solder iron tip. The motor mount is aircraft ply and mounted 0:0. I used hot glue on everything. Sparingly!

One of the secrets to success using flat plate airfoils is to cut the LE at 90 degrees and leave it flat. Spend a bit of time fiddling with the CG is well worth the effort, that goes for all wings, especially small ones.

And, don't KF it. It would serve no advantage and only add unwanted weight. It flies amazing the way it is. The plan view has a big effect on 'flyability' as well, so keep that the same too, something I've discovered over the years building all shapes and sizes of flatty foam wings.

Light is might, 'close to four is the chore' when building.
Last edited by goldguy; Nov 26, 2017 at 04:38 AM.
Jun 01, 2017, 08:24 AM
Laughs at un-boxing videos...
Frank
Am amazed at how little it takes to make a flying wing. and the different construction variations.
Saw your carbon bow and single layer.

i have built similar sized kfm2 with no spar. Not sure if they are heavier.
Jun 01, 2017, 12:13 PM
flyin' fool
Thread OP
Motor Matters......................

Most small drone motors don't come with a back plate mount. I made mine from FG circuit board scraps. 'Painted' black with a Sharpie.
Last edited by goldguy; Jun 01, 2017 at 04:04 PM.
Jun 01, 2017, 12:25 PM
flyin' fool
Thread OP
Installing the bow is an excellent way to keep tension on the foam keeping it flat, straight and rigid.
Jun 01, 2017, 12:38 PM
Flying Models for 55 Years
Hi Frank, I was wondering about the motor not having a Back Plate, question answered Thanks! I was reading the Specs on the SunnySky R1406 3300kv Motor, it is rated for 4s - 14.8v! Are you able to run a 4s Motor on 2s?

Bobby
Jun 01, 2017, 04:15 PM
flyin' fool
Thread OP
With the high kv 2S is perfect. Even with the small 5x3 on 2S the motor sings like a small ducted fan. It pulls 9.3 amps at 7.3 volts for 70.3 watts. On a four ounce airframe, that's way overkill. But I love it!! I ran the same setup on a 600 Rainbow wing as a pusher and it flew ballistic, probable hitting about 75 mph easy. Too noisy though. Tried different things to quite it down and ended up making it a tractor. More fun that way and better aerobatics pulling than pushing anyways.

I can't imagine what the motor would be like on 4S with that kind of voltage. Makes me wonder if that spec is correct.
Jun 01, 2017, 05:31 PM
Flying Models for 55 Years
WOW! Thanks for the Info

Bobby
May 27, 2019, 12:29 PM
Light flies right!
Thought I would revive this thread with my second micro Park Lark. My first one was 12" span, made entirely from 2mm Depron, but it was a bit too fast and fragile for my liking. This time around, I used de-papered Dollar Tree foamboard for the wing and increased the span to 15". A test flight earlier today was very promising, but I'll have to wait for calmer conditions to get it trimmed out.
May 27, 2019, 02:58 PM
flyin' fool
Thread OP
More of a canary than a lark.
Jun 11, 2019, 01:08 AM
flyin' fool
Thread OP
How are you making out with your wee PL Alex?
Jun 12, 2019, 08:37 AM
Light flies right!
The 'canary' flies great! I feel totally comfortable flying it in my small and tree-filled front yard. The UMX gear has decent power for this size airplane, plenty for aerobatics but not quite enough to go vertical.

However, the Parkzone brick (taken from a long-gone Ember 2) is getting old, so I had to do some surgery to fix a broken battery connection. Unfortunately I melted the prop a bit with the soldering iron when I did so, since the electronics were installed in the plane already. The prop is now a bit shorter as a result. Next time, I'll be testing the electronics before building them into an airframe.
Jun 12, 2019, 10:56 AM
flyin' fool
Thread OP
Mine has now logged hundreds of flights. It's getting just a little tired, repair heavy and shabby looking. Time for a new one.

It's my second best wing ever, next to my Crack Wing.
Aug 07, 2019, 10:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aer0naught
Thought I would revive this thread with my second micro Park Lark. My first one was 12" span, made entirely from 2mm Depron, but it was a bit too fast and fragile for my liking. This time around, I used de-papered Dollar Tree foamboard for the wing and increased the span to 15". A test flight earlier today was very promising, but I'll have to wait for calmer conditions to get it trimmed out.
Excellent idea. I have a couple UMX bricks I was wondering what to do with. One is already going in a Micro StingRay but your design will definitely be used for the other.
Aug 08, 2019, 06:06 PM
Light flies right!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdc914
Excellent idea. I have a couple UMX bricks I was wondering what to do with. One is already going in a Micro StingRay but your design will definitely be used for the other.
Awesome! It would be great to see a comparison between the Lark and the StingRay. I had been looking at building a StingRay, but I only had 2mm Depron and a little bit of 0.8mm CF on hand at the time. The Lark actually worked out to be simpler IMO, with just a spanwise CF rod and foam spine as reinforcement. The only part on the plane that hasn't quite held up is the motor mount, since dorking it in tends to rip the gearbox out of the foam. A little bit of white Gorilla glue solves everything though!

Once I crash this one enough, I will probably build a Lil' Ripper with the same span. Goldguy says it's an improvement over this design, so I gotta try it!

Quick Reply