May 15, 2017, 12:35 AM
flyin' fool
Thread OP
Discussion

Park Lark

Lark as in the verb, not the noun. And, that's because of what it is, an 'afterthought in scraps', a lark. It's small, simple and a super stunt ship. Silly FLAT fun in EPP at it's best.

The span is 24", root cord 14.5" including elevons, tip cord 6" also including the 2" elevons with extreme throws. Keep it light, as close to 4 ounces as possible and balance it 8.5 forward of the TE. Geared up with a Sunnysky R1406/3300kv spinning a GWS type 5X3 prop on 2S 350/35C lipos, a 10A ESC, small 4ch RX and 5.6 gram digi/MG servos.

Vid to follow..............
Last edited by goldguy; Apr 24, 2018 at 06:13 PM.
to remove ads between posts
May 15, 2017, 04:44 AM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
That looks like FUN !!!
Latest blog entry: Lost plans
May 15, 2017, 01:29 PM
Flying Models for 57 years!
NICE, I like Flying Wings
May 15, 2017, 03:29 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
I love a simple delta !
May 15, 2017, 07:24 PM
flyin' fool
Thread OP
Been playin' around with different shapes and sizes of delta based wings as you can see by my delta doodles. This one started out much bigger and I kept cutting off this n' that until I got the aerobatic performance 'just right'. I chopped the span down, added center vet stab, increase the LE sweep, made the elevens wider and fine tuned the CG.
Last edited by goldguy; May 15, 2017 at 07:50 PM.
May 24, 2017, 09:03 AM
Looking forward to the video!
May 25, 2017, 06:05 PM
Laughs at un-boxing videos...
Just about identical to mine except yours are backward. (:
funny how we get to where we are going. Like the way mine hold altitude when banked turning on edge. I'll have to turn one around to imitate yours.

plank foamie RC plane 20x12 (4 min 5 sec)

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldguy
Been playin' around with different shapes and sizes of delta based wings as you can see by my delta doodles. This one started out much bigger and I kept cutting off this n' that until I got the aerobatic performance 'just right'. I chopped the span down, added center vet stab, increase the LE sweep, made the elevens wider and fine tuned the CG.
Last edited by basicguy; May 25, 2017 at 06:12 PM.
May 25, 2017, 09:19 PM
12th Pursuit Squadron
Basicguy, I like your plank. Five channels is the way that I would build it too - it seems that we are both similarly obsessive about control and flexibility. Truth is that I have been considering a very similar design, but with dual elevators rather than a single surface across the center, and a 24~26" span. Maybe it's time to bash one out and see how it compares to yours.

Then again, I have also been working on a design very similar to the Park Lark. Kind of a choice as to which direction it will fly. One design sparks an idea for another, sometimes closely related, sometimes not.

J.P.
May 25, 2017, 10:08 PM
flyin' fool
Thread OP
Nice wing Dave. I've flown wings with ailerons and elevator before, but you've added new dimension with an aileron/elevator mix. Must investigate further.

I've got a slope buddy that does something similar and it's amazing what it does will down 'flaps' and the proper down elevator mixed in.

Flying yank n' bank wings has had limits, but no more with the new radios we have. Rudder is now a real option to push the limits, where before it was a necessity.

I've also been experimenting with the multi flip and flat spin mixes on tractor powered elevon equipped wings that the slope guys have perfected. I got it working OK, but still fine tuning.

Frank
May 28, 2017, 07:12 PM

Gold Guy's Park Lark in Action

Frank flying his Lark, wind gusting and hot as hell, fun day of flying.
The Park Lark with Goldguy (1 min 32 sec)
May 29, 2017, 12:31 AM
flyin' fool
Thread OP
Good thing I ordered 80 5X3 props by mistake.
May 29, 2017, 06:18 AM
Laughs at un-boxing videos...
Great flying Frank
May 29, 2017, 12:23 PM
Frank, that looks like Fun! What are the dimensions of the Vertical Fin?

Bobby
May 29, 2017, 03:58 PM
flyin' fool
Thread OP
The base is 6.5", height 4, tip 2.5 and swept back 1" at the TE.

Hot pavement, wind and lots of burbles lends itself to big fun with 4.2 oz. of simple foam.

It can really haul at WOT and no pitch problems. At altitude you can really pull some weird yet nu-named aerobatics, or just plane mistakes not gone bad.

Still workin' on multi flips and flat spins.
May 29, 2017, 04:30 PM
Thanks, looks like you have a winner

Quick Reply