Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Jun 09, 2017, 10:57 AM
Yeah their product page now seems ready for people to click the buy button, looking forwards to hearing reviews about it!

Two things I would like are a definitive answer that if the HD cam module crashes we will still receive analog video, as for a long time (along with high latency) this limited their usefulness. Also would love a version with a 16:9 live output for people like me using those goggles.

Either way, I almost regret buying the RunCam 3 I want this now!
to remove ads between posts
Jun 09, 2017, 03:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egut125
Now that's not bad at all.
Nicer hs1177 sized cameras cost $40-$50 depending.
I'm liking this more and more.
Only question is will foxeer have a similar option in a little while. I think I'd take a foxeer one built around the monster v2.
I don't know, but I'd guess RC is not using the Eagle sensor as that is only 600 or 800tvl. Makes more sense they are using the RC3 sensor but pulling off two signals or whatever - one HD to the SD card and one lower resolution for the fpv feed. I also assume the latency with HD isn't a 'slow' sensor but just dealing with the large amount of data it generates. By using only Eagle-type resolution getting sent via the Vtx, it would have similar latency to an Eagle. Also if the Eagle 2 has lower latency than the E1, I doubt it was a sensor improvement, just improved algorithms that the Split could also employ.
Jun 10, 2017, 03:17 PM
RunCam Split Review 📷 Is the GoPro Session Dead? 💀⚡💥 (18 min 9 sec)
Jun 11, 2017, 08:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aldenyuan
I'm wondering how well the WDR on a CMOS sensor handles harsh lighting conditions and fast lighting changes as a FPV cam. Latency aside, this is still the #1 reason we prefer CCD over CMOS.
If its just like an Eagle, the answer is Awesomely.
Jun 11, 2017, 08:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by srREXed
Yeah and my $&@! $ss just ordered an eagle 16:9 because I'm wanting to improve fpv for Dom v3..... And literally 12hrs after my order on RCam website, a few announcing eagle2 and how people have had the demo cams already for some time. Lower latency? Duh. Yes please... Makes me want to just throw a brick through the Internet at RC window somewhere. I live in the USA.... I don't have Kim jong tech to ballistic launch a brick, but I can try.
Freak'n Hilarious!! I feel ya.
Jun 12, 2017, 05:42 PM
RunCam Split Review 📷⭐ Part 2 🌟💥🔥 (19 min 3 sec)
Jun 13, 2017, 12:32 AM
I'm looking forward to receiving my Runcam Split. A lucky few, like Albert Kim and ThatHPI Guy, have received a pre-release version to review for the rest of us, which I'm thankful for, but what I'm still anxious to find out is how the camera works with an Armattan Chameleon frame. Does the aluminum frame obstruct the edges of the HD video or is the camera positioned just right, (with the included adapter), right out of the box? Is anybody here aware of any other 5" frames available that are likely to provide an unobstructed view with the Split camera but still offers decent protection?

Contemplating quad frames of the future designed for the Runcam Split, I think the front posts are going to need to go, or at least be moved back, and the side plates, or camera mounting plates, will need to extend forward past the posts to protect the camera as much as possible without obstructing the view. I think the Chameleon has the right idea in profile. Also, since a lot of Split users probably won't ever plan on mounting a GoPro then there doesn't need to be any provisions to mount a second HD camera above the FPV cam like in the past, which will make designing the camera mount for the Split more flexible.
Last edited by Rayflec; Jun 13, 2017 at 12:37 AM.
Jun 13, 2017, 02:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayflec
I'm looking forward to receiving my Runcam Split. A lucky few, like Albert Kim and ThatHPI Guy, have received a pre-release version to review for the rest of us, which I'm thankful for, but what I'm still anxious to find out is how the camera works with an Armattan Chameleon frame. Does the aluminum frame obstruct the edges of the HD video or is the camera positioned just right, (with the included adapter), right out of the box? Is anybody here aware of any other 5" frames available that are likely to provide an unobstructed view with the Split camera but still offers decent protection?

Contemplating quad frames of the future designed for the Runcam Split, I think the front posts are going to need to go, or at least be moved back, and the side plates, or camera mounting plates, will need to extend forward past the posts to protect the camera as much as possible without obstructing the view. I think the Chameleon has the right idea in profile. Also, since a lot of Split users probably won't ever plan on mounting a GoPro then there doesn't need to be any provisions to mount a second HD camera above the FPV cam like in the past, which will make designing the camera mount for the Split more flexible.
A friend of mine is using the runcam mini on his Chameleon, and yes the aluminum frame is in view. Seeing how small, short and similar the Split camera is, it's most likely you will face the same problem. Especially since the FPV view is narrower than the HD view. Unless you change the lens to something narrower, or find a way to mount the camera further in front where the lens is sitting just inside the aluminum frame.

Another thing to consider is the short space of the Chameleon body, the max stack you can put is 2, so a AIO FC with individual escs is definitely required for the Split board to fit in.
Jun 13, 2017, 02:29 AM
I think you're right, Norazil, the frame will probably be in view. For an FPV camera that is fine, but for an HD recording camera like the Split I think most people would rather not have the frame appear in the HD footage. Hopefully Armattan will consider releasing some new side plates that will mount the camera optimally for the Split camera. If not then I guess we'll have to invent our own solutions. As for fitting three boards in a 20mm stack, I haven't given up on trying yet but it will be a tight fit to say the least.
Jun 13, 2017, 03:50 AM
Split Runcam first test (1 min 0 sec)

see the image.
Jun 13, 2017, 08:14 AM
The good thing about the split is it's the mini style camera. A nice tpu adapter to make it match full size hs1177 could be made to adjust the view forward or back more in the frame.

I'm hoping someone will make a couple nice adapters for the split like that.
Jun 13, 2017, 08:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Han Z
Seems like it's happening pretty much as the same time as the motors spool up hard. I'm guessing it's some voltage spikes messing with the input voltage on the cam.

Seems like this might need some rock solid voltage in to keep it happy since it has no regulators it self.
Jun 13, 2017, 09:29 AM
Quote:
since it has no regulators it self.
Which is a damn shame as it has a whole PCB board to itself and regulators aren't that big. Would have been REALLY nice if it had a wide input voltage like the Swifts.
Jun 13, 2017, 09:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRich3D
Which is a damn shame as it has a whole PCB board to itself and regulators aren't that big. Would have been REALLY nice if it had a wide input voltage like the Swifts.

Agreed
Jun 13, 2017, 12:44 PM
Quote:
The good thing about the split is it's the mini style camera. A nice tpu adapter to make it match full size hs1177 could be made to adjust the view forward or back more in the frame.

I'm hoping someone will make a couple nice adapters for the split like that.
I've had similar thoughts. I don't have a 3D printer, but if I recall correctly the TPU is the soft plastic, which should provide some vibration dampening and possibly some shock absorption if there is an impact. For myself, I've been considering using a thin sheet of rubbery material, if I can find something suitable, and cutting it into a mount that will fit between each side of the smaller camera and the regular mounting plates.

Quick Reply