Should I find another flying site? (images inside) - RC Groups
May 13, 2017, 04:48 PM
Little green man
Discussion

Should I find another flying site? (images inside)

Here is the album from a video of one of my flights.
http://imgur.com/a/uotMY

That landing went alright, but I've had plenty of bad landings there. The road is not straight and there are traffic signs. But I like flying there because I have an open field few kilometers long there.

What I wanted to ask is, do you think I can learn to land here, or would you say that I need to go find straight road? Would you try landing here?
to remove ads between posts
May 13, 2017, 05:29 PM
Bombs away! Err...landing
Looks like you've got a long straight stretch just up the road, but you're landing on the curve? Landing on a curved road is a bit of a challenge even with practice.
May 13, 2017, 05:48 PM
Little green man
That part of the road is too close to the woods. I am actually turning on the edge of the woods and landing in the direction you are seeing. Landing in the other direction was not possible that day because of the wind direction.
May 14, 2017, 04:55 PM
Drone offender FA377YHFNC
I think you're fine, subject to traffic concerns.
May 14, 2017, 05:09 PM
There is lots of room there my only concern would be traffic
May 15, 2017, 04:54 AM
Little green man
That's true. I've had to abort the landing few times when the car arrives. But you can usually hear it while it's far away.
May 17, 2017, 12:05 AM
Up! Up! And Away!
Looks like way more length to land than our unpaved club field - but pavement creates more roll out than dropping onto grass ... width doesn't look much different plus we have pilot fences down one side and much worse rough on the other ... still, it's going to depend on your model, gear, and willingness to skip the scale landing. LOL, we have govt maintenance truck traffic to contend with as they cut across the field and end of the runway, too.
May 17, 2017, 05:42 AM
Interesting to see no comment about the issue of flying from a public highway. What happens if you don't hear a car coming? Or a bicycle, or someone stepping out of the fields/trees alongside the road?

At the very least, my 3rd-party insurance cover wouldn't be valid it I were to fly there.
May 17, 2017, 05:47 AM
Little green man
I understand what you are saying and I am concerned about that too. I own one of those fields you can see in the photos and I am in the process of making a runway on one of those. In the meantime, I don't fly that often. I take off, fly 20 minutes, land and go home. It's really small chance that somebody will walk right out of the woods, not see me, not see the plane, me not noticing him and him getting hit by a plane. All in this 15 seconds it takes me to land the plane.

But as I said, I am working on moving away from roads and into the field.
May 18, 2017, 03:26 AM
Little green man
On the other hand, I have much better place to land slightly farther away.

I think I'll just stick with this site.
May 18, 2017, 04:04 PM
Your field and runway look fine to me. You can belly land until you develop enough skill to ROG and land on the road.
May 21, 2017, 09:42 PM
I would say land in the field. The one that you own. Why risk it on the road considering your other post explains that you're having trouble with line of sight landings....