New FMS 1700mm F7F-3N Tigercat - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
This thread is privately moderated by brandonmoon, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
May 13, 2017, 02:41 PM
Fly & Have Fun..Enjoy the Ride
Mini-Review

New FMS 1700mm F7F-3N Tigercat

I have been soooooo looking forward to reviewing this plane. This plane has been a little over 3 1/2 years in the making.This will be my Review of it posted here and on the earlier discussion topic thread posted here: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...F7F-3-Tigercat.

Here are some earlier pre-release photos released by FMS. I am still waiting for the plane to arrive which should be here soon

The one I will be doing is the Silver "La Patrona" livery with a second set of wings modified to have a working folding outboard wing panels.
Last edited by brandonmoon; May 13, 2017 at 02:59 PM.
to remove ads between posts
May 13, 2017, 02:44 PM
First early released pictures
Last edited by brandonmoon; May 13, 2017 at 02:56 PM.
May 13, 2017, 02:48 PM

Livery Choices

These will be the Livery decals available with the corrections noted on them made. These are just the early samples
May 13, 2017, 03:01 PM
I'm hoping to see and hear more on this bad boy early next week (maybe & hoping?) coming from JN.... I am aware there is one here state side now but may not be at JN until next week?..Possibly early in the week?

I've also been told of the expected release date? and will share that later when I'm sure it's more solid? It's sooner than most think

As for MSRP?...that still seems to be up in the air? and undecided?

Can't say more than that for the moment ..........................................
May 16, 2017, 05:15 PM
Rich from RC Informer txt me these early this morning. He just got his at 2 AM this morning.

First one on US Soil....Currently making it's debut at Joe Nall with RC Informer.
May 16, 2017, 05:25 PM
Here is two more I just got from him a moment ago from Joe Nall..... Enjoy
Jun 13, 2017, 08:24 PM

My early release R&D prototype

Here are some pictures of the early release R&D prototype (Silver La-Patrona) I have received to look at and test and do a few modifications to for feedback. The final product will have changes that this one doesn't have on it yet and the finish will be much better, not that it's bad right now.

For those that are wanting to know some of the differences between this one and the FlightlineRC 1600mm version

Outside of the obvious differences in Landing gear, which I won't go into right at the moment.
1) The Fuselage is a one piece mold. You do not have to glue two pieces together.
2) The wings are attached a bit differently, there are no cutouts in the fuse for the wings to be pushed into...instead they are concave to the fuselage contour and fit tightly flush,
3) The main wing spar in this thing is HUGE at nearly just under the size of a quarter and only uses one main spar.
4) There is a double spar in the horizontal stab.
5) The surface detail on the FMS is beyond phenomenal where as the Flightline is smooth surfaces with only some of the details.
6) The FMS is a two seater F7F-3, whereas the Flightline is just a single seat
7) The size of the control surfaces are smaller and more scale sized as compared to the flightline F7F
8) I have made one test flight to see the differences....the FMS will fly circles around the FlightLine version and has much better vertical performance. They are both great flyers, but the FMS is a performer.
9) The FMS uses a single 6S whereas the Flightline is a dual 4S operated plane.

=
Last edited by brandonmoon; Jun 13, 2017 at 10:34 PM.
Jun 16, 2017, 09:58 AM
This is going to end up in my hangar!
Jun 16, 2017, 10:09 AM
It definitely is one very nice plane and fly's with all kinds of authority....definately has no shortage on power and a single 6S battery of 5000mAh or greater
Jun 24, 2017, 06:07 PM
Here are some more pictures of the La Patrona I've been working on with some of the airbrush work done and a few added extra details. No flying for a while, It's just TOO FREAK'N HOT here right now

One other factor to consider here guys, is remember that this plane is scale in size and the real one had two big heavy radials hanging on the front of the wings to get CG....On the model, it will require a fair amount of nose weight with only two little electric motors and a lipo battery up front to achieve the same CG and balance. so... don't let the requirement for nose weight scare you. On the prototypes both Rich and I have they apparently have some unneeded reinforcements in the tail section (Which is overkill) that they are looking to change and lighten up the tail section a bit, which reduce the weight needed in the nose. Both Rich and I have already given them feedback on this.

I currently have 9.9 oz in the nose cone of mine using a Zippy 30c 8000mAh lipo (1130 grams {39.8 oz.}) all the way forward to balance and it doesn't affect the planes performance at all, in fact it enhances it as it should for the War bird it is. Rich is flying on a Kenixix 30c 7000mAh lipo https://www.forcerc.com/222v-7000mah...g-ec5-kxsb0029

Tested flight times are in the 6 to 8 minute range, depending on individual flight styles and location altitude.

When in doubt...just watch Rich's video again and note the performance (and this is on the current stock 4250-440kv setup)....the planes flys spectacular!!!! and is BALLISTIC!!! on the 4250-550kv setup

FMS F7F TIGERCAT 1700mm UNCUT GRASS FIELD DEMO By: RCINFORMER (12 min 28 sec)

The team at FMS has done and AWESOME job with this plane, and listening to our input and suggestions for it's creation. A lot of the input folks have put in here we have also been feeding back to the factory and it's been well received.

Looking forward to what they are working on next?
Jul 01, 2017, 01:18 PM
Scale Builder
If the national insignia decals shown on "La Patrona" are what is provided by FMS then you may want to recommend they work on getting the proportions correct at least, if not the color as well. I admit it's a pet peeve of mine but they immediately jump out as being incorrect to my eye.
Jul 01, 2017, 01:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Veich
If the national insignia decals shown on "La Patrona" are what is provided by FMS then you may want to recommend they work on getting the proportions correct at least, if not the color as well. I admit it's a pet peeve of mine but they immediately jump out as being incorrect to my eye.
That has already been addressed. I told them the same thing, I've asked them to make the blue color darker & the blue boarders around the outside wider. I've already changed the ones on this plane since those photos were taken. I've also suggested a waterslide alternative that would look better or dry transfer type.

Also the "1" on the wing tip is missing both top and bottom. Keep in mind...mine was just sent to do some feed back to them and not really for public review....both Rich and I just decided to share a little so folks could see some of what they've been curious about. These two models were intended for private R&D Feed back to the factory, so they are not as nicely finished out as the final productions ones will be.
Last edited by brandonmoon; Jul 02, 2017 at 12:16 AM.
Jul 27, 2017, 06:21 PM

FMS Tigercat

Do you plan on adding sound? If so, which system? On the FL Tigercat, did you ever do a thread showing the sound system, where you mounted the transducers, the sound board, etc.?
Jul 27, 2017, 06:34 PM
Probably not going to do sound on this one and haven't done much more on the FL one since I was not happy with the sound systems and how it came out....May? later change it to one of my Bendini systems? I did however post info and pictures of my sound system install on the FL Tigercat in the FL Tigercat thread
Last edited by brandonmoon; Jul 27, 2017 at 07:03 PM.