BNF Opterra and Vector - RC Groups
May 12, 2017, 07:10 AM
Discussion

BNF Opterra and Vector

Can anyone please give me advice?

Just added a Vector (my first) into my Opterra, which was stock-BNF with Spektrum AR636 RX. The Spektrum is configured so that my DX9 is in regular fixed-wing mode (no elevon mixing needed) and the AR636 is configured internally by Spektrum to do the required de-coding for elevon.

Added the Vector, and I configured that for Elevon. However the two control surfaces then do not work correctly - Aileron stick-input move one up and down, and Elevator stick-input moves the other up and down. So, my guess is the AR636 still wants regular "fixed-wing" inputs. So, I changed the Vector to standard "fixed wing". Now it all works fine! But I have not flown yet!

So my question - did I do the correct thing? Is there any possible issue with the Vector being in "regular fixed wing mode" when the plane really has elevons? I was thinking possible RTH issues, or something...? Thanks for any advice!

Also - I was initially wanting to keep the AR636 and use it's AS3X stabilization... but I guess RTH will not work if the RX has it's own stabilizer: As it corrects for wind/turbulence it will be giving constant stick-inputs, which I assume will take it out of RTH-mode. So maybe I should buy a new receiver anyway - I think the one I have is "locked" by Spektrum so I can't turn-off AS3X... if I get a new RX, can anyone recommend one that allows me to get RSSI outputs? Thanks!
to remove ads between posts
May 12, 2017, 08:03 AM
because rust never sleeps....
If this is an elevon fixed wing type then you should configure the Vector to reflect this.

Mixing is done by the Vector, and it is expected that your TX does not have any mixing set.

Having two stabilisers sounds like a recipe for disaster :-)
May 13, 2017, 01:40 PM
All mixing should be done by the Vector.
"SMART Technology" and Vector don't mix well . . . they will fight each other for control.

I suppose you could just use the Vector as an OSD but that defeats the purpose of the Vector.

IMHO, with an FPV wing that size you will quickly out grow regular 2.4 distance. Now would be a good time to make the jump to a long range system and replace the existing AS3X with a long range receiver.
May 13, 2017, 10:30 PM
Thanks for the feedback! I went and bought a "simple" non-AS3X Spektrum to get things going I configured the Vector to handle the Elevon-mixing

First flight today with the Vector fitted. It went perfectly! Tried a few modes (stabilized, 2D+hold, Loiter and RTH) and all worked great! By my third flight-pack I was taking-off without headset, loitering at about 300 feet, and feeling confident taking my eyes from the plane to sit-down and put my headset on Love it so far! Even tried my first FPV loop and roll - all went great.

I can see the benefits of a Dragon-Link... I better get saving!
Jun 17, 2017, 08:47 PM
Did u use the default settings on the vector without anytuning, looking for a parrot disco replacement, this might be it.
Jun 19, 2017, 02:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloom691
Thanks for the feedback! I went and bought a "simple" non-AS3X Spektrum to get things going I configured the Vector to handle the Elevon-mixing

First flight today with the Vector fitted. It went perfectly! Tried a few modes (stabilized, 2D+hold, Loiter and RTH) and all worked great! By my third flight-pack I was taking-off without headset, loitering at about 300 feet, and feeling confident taking my eyes from the plane to sit-down and put my headset on Love it so far! Even tried my first FPV loop and roll - all went great.

I can see the benefits of a Dragon-Link... I better get saving!
Congrats on your successful Vector transition. Great FC. Got photos?
Thinking hard how to find room and cash to buy an Opterra.

Save