May 12, 2017, 05:11 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Victorian plank-on-edge cutter "Vanity"

Hi all,
I have been slamming mahogany planks on my model of Vanity and am now with a completely planked hull, just sorting out the stern where the lines I used were a bit wrong.
I am amazed how light it is, which bodes well for the use of internal ballast, but I will make provision for a blade and bulb keel if necessary.

Whilst the hull was gluing up in the shed, I got on with things in the indoor workshop, making the first of two decklights. This has dovetailed corner joints on the casing and mortice and tenon on the lifting lights. The wood is gorgeous Cuban Mahogany, cut from some dining chairs my Granddad made which fell to bits in central heating conditions. He would approve, as he was a founder member of the Victoria Model Steamboat Club, the world's oldest.
The hull was quickly built and will be covered with cloth and epoxy as the original was painted gloss black as most older British yachts.
I shall be making my own kind of sail winch from screwed rod, which will operate main and one of the jibs.
This is an homage to the boat, on which I used to live and which has been allowed to fall to bits in a yard in Bristol in sight of the SS, Great Britain. Shameful!

Cheers,
Martin
to remove ads between posts
May 12, 2017, 06:49 AM
Great work! Look forward to seeing more of the build.
May 12, 2017, 07:23 AM
Thread OP
Thanks, Gammon Iron.
I have a gammon iron to make for Vanity!

Cheers,
Martin
Jun 06, 2017, 04:01 AM
Thread OP
More work done on Vanity. Got the hull sheathed in epoxy and J-Cloth. Now sanding back the bumps, prior to primer surfacer and final top coat.

Also got more deck furniture done.

Had a bit of a mock-up with the spars.....it's big!

Cheers,
Martin
Jun 06, 2017, 06:26 AM
Cleanly done. Is the rudder to scale or enlarged?
Jun 08, 2017, 04:35 PM
Thread OP
I've extended the rudder a fair bit, but in the style of, so to speak. Perfectly prepared to make a much bigger one!

I've ordered a copy of Dixon Kemp and even found that they've digitised it, so I've been sneaking a peak at its contents and they tell me all I need, right down to block sizes, cordage sizes and all the actual rigging details, bowsprit shrouds, you name it.
On the strength of that I've ordered some of Keith Jewel's wonderful odds and bobs from Modelling Timbers on the Isle of Man. He gives the most amazing service and sells the best bits bar none and all extremely inexpensive.
So, Mr. Postman, get your finger out, I have stuff on the way!

Cheers,
Martin
Jun 09, 2017, 06:56 AM
As a 1:1 and 1:24 sailor, I think it's harder to scale sail. On a 1:1 sailboat, you can feel the pressure of the winds and water and trim/steer accordingly. You never have this kind of feedback from a model. That's where the enlarge rudder can overcome wind pressure on the sails. On a real sailboat, one would reef before it gets to that point.
Jun 09, 2017, 01:09 PM
Thread OP
I have only sailed once and the boat sank!

So I know nothing about model sailing either, scale or otherwise apart from a few hours rudder only with a wee 575, which I enjoyed enormously. Whilst I like modelling powerboats, operating them bores the Bejayzuz outa me!

Martin
Jun 09, 2017, 07:15 PM
I emphatically agree with Gammon Iron, 1:1 sailing is far easier. There are almost no cues or feedbacks with a model boat. Real boats usually broadcast what they're up to, but a two foot tall sail fifty yards away is very hard to read.
Jun 10, 2017, 07:27 AM
In my opinion, rule #1 when sailing models is to trim for a slight amount of weather helm ( boat turns slightly into the wind when the rudder is centered ). "Weather helm" is the sailboats brakes and makes the boat much easier to control. Also from my observation often scale sailboats have overly large sail plans for the wind conditions. I'm sure they are scale, but slightly undersized sails will still sail well and it is certainly " true to scale " to reduce sail when necessary. Just my opinions.
Jun 10, 2017, 05:32 PM
Thread OP
Interesting info there, thanks, guys.
I have no objection to a smaller rig, but knowing just how much smaller than scale is a problem, a) for a beginner) and b) at this early stage.

I got the final major filling done today and sanded it by hand and machine...hand is quicker, put a partial coat of the black primer on that my paint guy prepared for me. But it dried almost gloss, despite a thorough mixing and didn't seem to have the level of "build" I was after. I have never known a primer dry almost glossy before, but it's now dry, no tackiness at all and it's as glossy as many people like. But at least it's now waterproof and I can get it over to my son's place where he has a big garden pond so I can pile crap in her till she sits on her LWL, then I can weigh it.

Martin
Jun 11, 2017, 07:18 AM
Thread OP
Well, just went over the daughter's place to use her paddling pool to measure the boat's weight and her pool proved too small. The boat was touching the bottom with 7lbs. of the son-in-law's biggest spanners inside! Still 3" to go at the stern and an inch or so at the bow to get onto her marks. Son is rarely in, so I don't know where I go from here. Do something else I suppose, but I think the boat will certainly need a fin keel and bulb as it was horribly unstable today. But I couldn't get any weight down low because of the bulkheads.

Martin
Jun 12, 2017, 08:39 AM
Just a thought, but when I'm at this stage I take to the pond and tie a string on. Then I play with the weights. THEN, I sit on the bank and stare at it for awhile . Makes me feel good .
Jun 12, 2017, 10:47 AM
Thread OP
Good idea, but you need a pond for that. We don't have a pond round here, just a canalised river, but I don't bend easy any more! However, for weight I think the bags of pennies idea is a good 'un. I was clearing up the back room yesterday and found our stash of pennies, 2ps and 5ps and they were seriously heavy! A few of them would sit in the bottom of the boat nicely and it might actually sit upright, unlike when it had a load of spanners in it. I may go over the river and try that.

Cheers,
Martin
Jun 13, 2017, 07:10 AM
SCALE Sailor
Are your pennies still copper? Ours are copper-clad zinc, hardly weight half of what they used too, and corrode faster.

Quick Reply