Tower Hobbies P-51B Mustang Berlin Express Rx-R 1000mm - RC Groups
May 11, 2017, 04:08 PM
CA...gimme the CA...
Discussion

Tower Hobbies P-51B Mustang Berlin Express Rx-R 1000mm

This thread is dedicated to the Tower Hobbies P-51B Mustang Berlin Express.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXGMRL&P=ML

This is one gorgeous plane! With a 40" span it's a beautiful addition to any hanger. It's Rx-ready, and includes optional retractable gear. Flaps are available but not cut out, with flap servo slots pre-cut. Tower was smart with the flap servo placement...both flap servos mount in the same orientation, thus eliminating the need for a servo reverser (or reverse servo). Tower has a nice offer with the plane, retracts, and a y-harness for $144, and with the $10 discount it's a great deal.

Mine arrived yesterday and I am already well into the build. I've cut out the flaps and tonite I'll mount the flap servos and complete the assembly. It's a relatively quick build, similar to the Tower Millennium Master. The retracts were back-ordered, but are now in stock. Mine were shipped a few days back and should arrive in another couple days.

The stock power configuration includes a 30-35-1000 1000Kv motor, 30A ESC, and a 10x7 prop.

One interesting item is the hatch...it's quite long, comprising a significant portion of the length of the fuse (see pic 2).

Here's one quick pic of the completed plane. I'll take some pics of mine and post tonite. If all goes well the maiden should be this weekend. I'll shoot some video with my new Mobius and post when complete.
Last edited by whowhatwhere; May 11, 2017 at 04:25 PM.
to remove ads between posts
May 11, 2017, 04:15 PM
CA...gimme the CA...
And I forgot...special thanks to tic for creating the thread: "Why does everyone have to have a Mustang?"

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...have-a-Mustang

I hadn't planned on getting a P-51, but the discussion in that thread piqued my interest and next thing I know I'm pushing the button!

Thanks again, man!
May 12, 2017, 09:22 AM
CA...gimme the CA...
Well...no completion this weekend, I didn't notice that the fuse arrived damaged. Looks as if someone dropped a 2x4 right on the center of the wing brace.

And again, Tower Hobbies' excellent customer service rates 5 stars. I spoke with Kim in that department a few minutes ago, and they're shipping out a new fuse today. They told me to keep the old fuse, no need to return it. Gotta love Tower, great group there.

I took pics last nite and of course I forgot the camera today. **Sigh**
May 14, 2017, 03:18 PM
CA...gimme the CA...
With a new fuse in transit I decided what the heck I'll build the one I have. I may be able to coax out the damage with hot water without too much puffing.

I can get another wing and a couple other items and have two!

Since this plane seems quite similar to my Millennium Master I'm gonna start with an EZ Flite 3s 1800 mAh (50C) pack from HURC. I get plenty of flight time with this pack on the MM, so we'll start here and measure the results.

First up, excuse me the retracts are NOT in stock, they aren't expected until June. My apologies. This build will utilize fixed gear.

The only tricky part of this build is cutting out the flaps, other than that it's a piece of cake. I did a less than satisfactory job with that myself, with the second wing I'll do better (hopefully).

Pic 1- The damage. Not just exclusive to the wing saddle, the fuse wall is crinkled. We'll see what I can do about this.

Pic 2 - Interesting design for securing the h-stab, using two foam cylinders rather than screws. Seems OK though.

Pic 3 - Inside it's nice and clean, and I haven't even used a tie-wrap yet, it kinda arranged itself. No retracts, but that should be easily managed.

Pic 4 - Flap servo orientation is smart, no reversing required.

Pics 5 thru 7 - The finished product. Nice...!

Maiden could be today, weather permitting. It's been breezy since 8:30AM, so not a good sign...but we"ll see.
Last edited by whowhatwhere; May 14, 2017 at 03:24 PM.
May 15, 2017, 01:46 PM
CA...gimme the CA...
Successful maiden yesterday. There was a crosswind, making landings very tricky. Close to sundown it shifted to an angle that was doable, although still troublesome. Again, my flying spot is great for flying, not so much for landings as I can't circle around to land into the wind when it's blowing in certain directions.

So yesterday the best I could do was angle the landing so it wasn't a crosswind. But I still had about a 10-15mph tailwind, as shown in the clip. I had full flaps deployed, but they don't do a whole lot in a tailwind and it comes in hot.

So...not my best landing. But no damage, so I'll take it.

I kept it short and sweet, just a couple passes then the landing.

Oh, and one word of caution...this plane will nose over quickly during a taxi if you let up on the elevator for even an instant. I can understand why the props for this line of planes are out of stock at Tower.

P-51B maiden flight:

P 51B (2 min 1 sec)
Last edited by whowhatwhere; May 15, 2017 at 01:54 PM.
May 15, 2017, 02:45 PM
CA...gimme the CA...
So...anyone else have this plane? It's kinda lonesome here all by myself...
May 15, 2017, 03:27 PM
Der Schaum-Kriegsvogel Pilot
Any maiden that ends in no damage is a good one.

Interesting plane, and I'm curious if going back to the simpler is better format might be successful. There are folks out there that just don't need nor want flaps and retracts, but want something larger than a micro plane. With the two blade prop, it looks like this could be a great hand launch/belly land plane as well. The price is right, and I like that you can add the flaps and retracts later if you decide to. Reminds me of the old Parkzone planes, except this one is more reasonably priced. Inexpensive batteries are another plus.

Bounus planes for getting all your planes in the PT Cruiser as well! My wife had one of those, and it was bigger inside than most would think...
May 15, 2017, 03:43 PM
CA...gimme the CA...
I've gotten pretty resourceful at stacking planes upright in the car...! Years of practice...

BTW...I flew this guy on an 1800 mAh pack, and I'm pleased with the power consumption. I got close to 10 minutes easily...although that was with considerable throttle management. But WOT is a blast, it's got plenty of power when you want it.

As I mentioned earlier, this plane seems quite similar to the Tower Millennium Master, which is a *great* model. During the build it was very reminiscent of the MM.
May 15, 2017, 05:32 PM
Out Standing In The Field
Quote:
Originally Posted by whowhatwhere
So...anyone else have this plane? It's kinda lonesome here all by myself...
I have the P51B "Red Racer", and am very pleased with it. I posted on the "Miss America" version thread:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=113
I'm impressed with your ability to fly from that tight space!And with the Grand Cruiser twin, too? Looks like there's no easy "go around", and if somebody came in and parked in that lot - hoo-boy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLTRI
Any maiden that ends in no damage is a good one.

Interesting plane, and I'm curious if going back to the simpler is better format might be successful. There are folks out there that just don't need nor want flaps and retracts, but want something larger than a micro plane. With the two blade prop, it looks like this could be a great hand launch/belly land plane as well. The price is right, and I like that you can add the flaps and retracts later if you decide to. Reminds me of the old Parkzone planes, except this one is more reasonably priced. Inexpensive batteries are another plus.
Mine is set up as a belly lander and it works great that way. I think you should get one.
May 16, 2017, 02:37 AM
Subscribed! With great interest
May 16, 2017, 07:30 AM
What's wrong with heavy?
I picked up the "D" version as I didn't want to wait for a B. Also too many stripes on the B for me, lol.

I took out the gear and filled the open space with wheel cover and foam, lumpy grass at my field so rolling starts and landings, nope. No need for flaps either, light and fast.

First tosses were overhand, not the best way. An underhand toss banked slightly to the right works much better.

My only complaint is the prop adapter, it's easy to get a wobble out of the spinner/ prop if not tightened properly.
May 16, 2017, 10:05 AM
CA...gimme the CA...
Quote:
I'm impressed with your ability to fly from that tight space! And with the Grand Cruiser twin, too? Looks like there's no easy "go around", and if somebody came in and parked in that lot - hoo-boy!
Thanks. And you are correct...I've had a few instances where I'm landing only to turn around and find a car coming down the lane. No collisions yet though. Had one about a month back where I was landing my T-28 and I turned around to find a van approaching. Luckily he stopped, and I had enough room to land and maneuver around his vehicle. I've aborted dozens of landings though, the only problem being once I put a Cessna 172 in a tree attempting to abort.

I could drive to the sanctioned field, but it's like 25 miles one way, and this park is 5 minutes from home so we've learned to deal with it.

I need to shoot a video of where we land the high wingers...in a small triangular grassy area next to where I have the car parked. I've had more than a few raised eyebrows when someone realizes I'm gonna land in that small space, but it's actually not that difficult once you get the hang of it.
Nov 10, 2017, 07:45 PM
Has interest in this bird died? I'm thinking a late winter purchase.
Nov 10, 2017, 08:47 PM
Out Standing In The Field
There are some different threads for the 4 different versions of this plane. The only real difference between them is the paint schemes and the canopy/turtle deck (which you could buy an extra for variety, if you'd like).

I really like my Racer Red model on 3S with a 10x8 Master Airscrew prop. I fly it with 1300 to 2200 batteries. The only downsides are a rather slow roll rate (the ailerons could be bigger), and the belly scoop interferes with belly landings. I have all the Tower warbirds and the Millennium Master. The best overall sport flyer is the MM. The best sport flying warbird is the Hellcat. The fastest (and best looking in the air) is the Corsair. They all work best as hand launch and belly landers, at least at the grass fields I fly at and fly noticeably better and faster without the landing gear.

These planes are the best value in 1 meter foam. You can't go wrong by buying any (or all!) of them.