Hangar 9 Van's RV-4 30cc ARF 85" - RC Groups
May 11, 2017, 07:48 AM
AA6JB
New Product

Hangar 9 Van's RV-4 30cc ARF 85"

Another giant scale release from Hangar 9!

Hangar 9 Van's RV-4 30cc ARF 85"

Key Features
  • Expertly constructed with laser-cut balsa and plywood
  • Two-piece, plug-in wing and horizontal stabilizer make field assembly fast
  • Functional flaps and scale hinges add realism and a wider flight envelope
  • Wide-track wheel stance and leaf tail wheel for outstanding ground handling
  • Painted fiberglass cowl and wheel pants
  • Matching aluminum landing gear with painted fairings
  • Large top-hatch provides easy access to electronics and flight batteries
  • Detailed cockpit area features a scale pilot, instrument decal and crystal-clear canopy
  • A self-aligning drill guide makes all recommended power options easy to install
  • Operational LED landing lights pre-wired and installed
  • Easy to maintain, genuine Hangar 9® UltraCote® covering
  • Military-style and civilian decals included for trim scheme customization
  • Includes motor mount for the electric power option
  • Complete hardware kit includes a matching spinner and painted fiberglass control horns

Needed to Complete
  • (1) 30cc two- or four-stroke gas/petrol engine or equivalent electric motor system
  • (1) Full-range, 6+ channel transmitter and receiver
  • (8) Standard digital servos (7 for the electric power option)
  • (2) Batteries for receiver and engine ignition (for the gas power option)
  • (1) Propeller
What's in the box?
  • (1) Van's RV-4 30cc ARF
  • (1) User Manual

Latest blog entry: 2017 Reno Air Races
to remove ads between posts
May 11, 2017, 08:05 AM
Why another RV-4?
May 11, 2017, 09:24 AM
Interesting. I wanted their RV-8, but it got discontinued before I got around to getting one. I think I like this better. I'm more into gasoline and have an engine that will work.
May 11, 2017, 09:43 AM
Official Boat Bum
I love Vans RV's! I just don't love the way H9 starts and discontinues kit runs like rain showers in spring or flavors of the month. I wonder if H9 has an official position on this track record or if it just happens consistently. The big 60CC F4U Corsair from them has been a constant eye catcher for me, but I don't want to be the last guy to buy one before they suddenly go out of stock permanently. This one is very attainable (~$) for most sport flyers. Probably as little investment as it takes to get a big airplane of this quality construction and performance in the air. Since it looks great just sitting there you don't need big dollar servos or other high end equipment or retracts to fly her "scale". So perhaps it could be a long-lived mainstay of the H9 giant scale offerings, vs some of the warbirds like the P-47, etc? (Edit, looked at everything minus flight packs and we'd be all in, servos, ESC, motor, prop, etc for $1,120 for the Eflite motor on 10s or $1,250 for the ,IMHO, much better hacker A60-16L motor setup on 12s. Pretty good deal for built-up wood, glass construction, good electronics and nice giant scale).

Anyhow, I really like this release of theirs as a stand alone thing. I used to fly a real RV-4 and I miss that experience. I like the pilot figure I bet this thing will fly great, and they really got the lines right IMHO at first glance. Not over the top on the shade of blue they chose but I'm hard to please and yet it does look nice and is about as "neutral" and you're gonna get for most builders. I had to laugh at the "VAF" insignia on the H9 site... that's the nick name for "Vans Air Force" and a web site that is like the RCG of Vans RV builders and flyers. Definitely a nod to the RV guys out there in "Sport GA-Land-ia". Nice touch.

The wing area and projected weight seems really nice, hopefully it's accurate... if the wing is open bay behind the main spar (looks like it might be) then I can see it would be attainable. I wonder what provisions they put in for electric battery hatch - (is it the canopy that is the main hatch for everything?) A Hacker A60-16L and a 20x15 APC prop on 12 cells of 5000mah capacity would be a far better option IMHO on electric power if the flight weight works out to be 19 or 20 pounds. Though the dihedral and fuselage moment might make her a little imprecise on pattern aerobatics, it's not much of a sacrifice. I'm sure a little flight mixing and a gyro will knock that out after 20 flights to dial her in and she'll fly as sweet as she looks.

As much as I'm peeved about the first point of my post I am DARN tempted to go all in on another H9 release. Ahhhh... intervention please, intervention!
Last edited by Eddie P; May 11, 2017 at 12:31 PM.
May 11, 2017, 10:13 AM
AA6JB
Hey there Eddie! I had the 46 sized H9 RV-8 and enjoyed it. FWIW, as a media guy of sorts, I find the media they have posted on this model kind of lackluster? I really don't think the photos do the model justice, if it is as nice as previous H9 models that I have owned and shot.
Latest blog entry: 2017 Reno Air Races
May 11, 2017, 11:23 AM
Multi-Platform Pilot
Cool model!
May 11, 2017, 01:07 PM
DFS#000178
I have the 50" RV-9 and absolutely adore it.

This looks so good. The pre-wired LEDs are super nice too. Gah. Keep getting tempted to go for bigger and bigger airplanes...!
May 12, 2017, 06:13 PM
Here's my 30cc RV8. It's a great flying plane.
Name: RV8 -1 Maiden.jpg
Views: 80
Size: 138.6 KB
Description:

Here's a great FS paint job.
Name: RV8 Flames.jpg
Views: 74
Size: 33.0 KB
Description:
May 14, 2017, 03:39 PM

Great replacement

We have had a few great planes RV-4's at our club and they are one of the best flying sport planes out there. It has been discontinued so this would be a great replacement for them. We had a few different engine choices, OS 1.6 2 stroke, OS 1.2 4 stroke , DLE 35 RA and a DLE 40 twin. I think they could have made a newer model RV, try keeping up with the current full scale planes.
May 14, 2017, 04:25 PM
Official Boat Bum
While there are newer designs in the RV fleet, the RV-4 has the reputation of being the best handling Vans RV of the bunch in terms of aerobatics. It's an airplane you "wear" rather than get into and sit in. The RV-8 is a grown up version for those that want to regularly haul a passenger or if they carry a few extra pounds or are taller than 6' - but the 8 loses some of the feel.

In a model airplane this would be of little consequence since we have so many choices in thrust to weight... We can also cheat a little on moments and design, etc. I wonder however if for a model airplane in terms of appeal, if the RV-4 might have an advantage of a more distinctive "recent classic" in looks, with the puffed cheek cowl and raked landing gear, etc. It has a classic look. The 9-12 on the other hand are just not the aerobatic mount the 4, 6,7 and 8 are.
May 17, 2017, 08:14 PM
Official Boat Bum
A much large and much more expensive RV4 but really cool! In the video, I have to ask - why do guys always have to start up and run up their single cylinder weed whacker engines when a cool plane - be it something like this or a turbine jet or a nice EDF - is being filmed!

https://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/...d.php?t=214044
The link above is to the article about it with photos.

Below, the video.

Grupp Van's RV-4 ARF - Joe Nall 2017 (7 min 1 sec)

Anyhow, for those mortals among up, the H9 can be had for a lot less for sure but what a beauty that Grupp RV-4 is.
May 18, 2017, 08:56 AM
Multi-Platform Pilot
If you're going to film at Nall, especially at the main flight line, its an occupational hazard, with 1400 pilots something is going to be running nearby.
May 18, 2017, 09:28 AM
Official Boat Bum
Yeah I know, it was just funny is all. Sometimes with a "would have been" cool video - even videos "definitely NOT at Nall" of turbine and EDF jets on test flights, there is this semi-expected occurrence and somewhat of a known joke about the weed whacker video-bomb guest star I do suppose that joke is somewhat not commonly shared among the giant scale crowd, we tend to fly with a lot of this type of engine. Anyhow, it cracked me up. Right when I wanted to hear that 4 cylinder make some cool music... Even though it's not a H9, that Grup is a cool RV-4 though! Makes me want a H9 version even more, seeing the big Grup RV-4 fly.

Edit - forgot to add I had called up to ask about the timeline for the first shipments of RV-4's from Horizon in the states, they said "Mid July" as of yesterday. Not sure if any of you guys at Joe Nall might have gotten anything more on this, but that's what I was told.
Last edited by Eddie P; May 18, 2017 at 10:10 AM.
May 18, 2017, 10:14 AM
It would be great to know how wide is the cowl, or more to the point - is it >= 8" wide?
May 18, 2017, 11:03 AM
Multi-Platform Pilot
I'm sure if you posted on the Flying Giants thread Ali would chime in with an answer when they get back from Nall