May 11, 2017, 01:01 AM
DFS#000178
Thread OP
Discussion

Baumann Brigadier

Anyone got a 3-view? The closest I can find is the CCW-5 but I'm not sure how much of the CCW-5's wing was from the Brigadier.

The Brigadier's such a cool looking plane. I'd like to give a shot at modeling it some time.
to remove ads between posts
May 11, 2017, 09:23 AM
Rampage,
You sure sent me to wikki on this one! I was unaware of its existence. Kind of a rare subject, with only two examples built. Found the history quite interesting in several aspects. Piper influence seems natural given designer's time there. Specific Apache reference is quite intriguing, as twin Apache was actually a Stinson development of the earlier single engine L-5. A correlation to similar layout Aero Commander seems natural, as well. However, and IIRC, latter was designed by same fellow who designed the Douglass A-20.

Neat airplane but lack of notoriety also usually translates into lack of attention by draftsmen and modelers. Sounds like an EXCELLENT research project for somebody truly interested. Hope you find something.

Have you seen this?
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...CW-2-and-CCW-5
Last edited by packardpursuit; May 11, 2017 at 09:30 AM. Reason: add link
May 11, 2017, 10:35 AM
DFS#000178
Thread OP
Yup! Seen that. The CCW-5 3-views may be the closest I can get. Which is fine for the fuselage and tail since the CCW-5 used the Brigadier's fuselage and tail, but I'm not sure how much of the wing the CCW-5 used. If the tips and root, at least, were the same, it's a pretty straight chord on both the leading and trailing edges so filling in the gaps wouldn't be difficult at all.

Gah. She sure is a pretty plane. It really is a shame she didn't see production.

The single-surviving B-290. Which may not even exist anymore. That photo was from 1987 at the EAA AirVenture Museum.

I might actually email them and see if it still exists, just out of curiosity. N90616 was the tail number (Which appears to have been reissued to an AirTractor that was then exported to Chile).
Last edited by Rampage; May 11, 2017 at 10:41 AM.
May 11, 2017, 10:14 PM
The following information is from the aviastar.org web site:

The picture shows the prototype B 250, which first flew for the first time in June 1947. Powered by two 125 h.p pusher piston engines (Continental?), hence B 250. This was the plane that was sold, along with all drawings, to Piper and formed the basis of their first twin the still born PA 21. Baumann went on to develop the B 290 which was identical apart from the engine installation of 2 x 145 h.p. Continental C145-H flat six air cooled engines.

If one went to Piper and the other was modified into the CCW, there aren't any more ...
May 12, 2017, 01:22 AM
DFS#000178
Thread OP
The CCWs weren't conversions. They were freshly-built airframes specifically for the CCW. They used the Brigadier as their base. Fuselage and tail are the same. I'm not sure how much of the Brigadier's wing went into the CCW.

There were only 2 (possibly 3) Brigadiers. A 250 and a (possibly 2) 290(s). One B-290 still existed as of 1987, as pictured above, but I don't know if that one still exists anymore.
May 12, 2017, 05:55 AM
Air Venture Museum doesn't list that airframe on their current site. However, it may be worth contacting them regarding its current whereabouts?

Come on guys, I can't take on anymore projects!
May 12, 2017, 01:05 PM
DFS#000178
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by packardpursuit
Air Venture Museum doesn't list that airframe on their current site. However, it may be worth contacting them regarding its current whereabouts?

Come on guys, I can't take on anymore projects!
I shot them an email. Waiting for a reply.

Hopefully they didn't scrap it.
Mar 15, 2018, 09:04 PM

Surviving CCW-5

Not sure if it's the same particular airframe, but a CCW-5 survives at the Reading Air Museum (Reading, PA), where I saw it Summer of 2016.

Quick Reply