This thread is privately moderated by old4570, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
May 10, 2017, 07:00 PM
Thread OP
Mini-Review

Rainbow2 Postmortem

No its not dead ! , simply going to analyze the build now that the wing is done ( Built )
If you had all the parts and gear and equipment needed to assemble this wing , and you thought about it a little , I don't see why it could not be built in about an hour .. Honestly for experienced builders ! This is bush league !

For Noobs to RC ! The lack of instructions is some what disturbing .. But not a deal breaker .
This wing is easy enough build from pictures , and the hardest part would be the fuse/pod .. ( Some planning and thought required here - just a little )

The sticky wicket is the elevator/aileron , the skin tension is huge on my wing .. I did fold mine back like 180 deg onto themselves to try and soften / stretch the foam and it did that .. ( They were much easier to move ) But when I put the carbon rods in place ( Elevator horns ) , the tension was simply too much .
So I got out the hobby knife and cut through 50% of the material joining the ele/ailerons .. Now the carbon rod was no longer flexing .. But there was no way the servos could do 100% movement .. The skin tension was too high for that .. So limiting the servos to 50% throw is a solution for now ..

Rainbow2 Post Build (4 min 15 sec)

What would I change ?

Obviously laying the servos down on their sides ( I did that )
Some instruction , for Noobs the pictures may not be enough ..
The Elevator/Ailerons , I would hinge them ...
Something on the bottom of the wing to grip/hold like a ply plate for launching ( chucking ) .

Now after reading up on other peoples flying experience on the Rainbow2 .....
This wing has a lot of flex - so not the best for high speed flying ! ( I am not after a high speed wing )
Apparently has great low speed handling ( sounds good )
The way many fly this wing apparently is like a powered glider , get some height and then glide it ..

Well , its built , and ready for CG testing ( glide tests )

This was a easy build , the most technical part was the fuse/pod , and the elevator/aileron skin tension I would call a Problem !
I would give the Rainbow 2 - 7 out of 10 - for Ease of building .
( -1 for the lack of instructions and -2 for the elevator/aileron skin tension )

Product page
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply