May 13, 2017, 03:16 AM
Closed Account
My site is at similar driving distance.... I stopped bringing it because in 2 years of running gas, I never needed anything from it.
to remove ads between posts
May 13, 2017, 04:29 AM
The drive is really sucking the fun out of it for me . I'm seriously thinking of having a year off or rejoining a club that's about 10 min. away . Its basically just a farmers paddock with no facilities at all and u r lucky if anyone rocks up . No place to even take a dump or any shade . I'm so depressed!
May 17, 2017, 04:22 PM
Thread OP
So I now have the engine on a bench mount. I've tested the ignition and it definitely has a spark. No matter what I set the needles to, I can't get it to fire up.

I'm not sure if fuel is getting into the engine. I can see some bubbles in the line that pull through when I turn the engine over but it never seems to flood no matter how much I prime it. It also doesn't sound as if it's wet with fuel. What could be causing this? What should I try to fix it?
May 17, 2017, 04:43 PM
Closed Account
Did you confirm ignition timing? It should not be possible to get it too far out of time, but still....
If for example for some reason the woodruff key would be missing, you might not notice it from the outside by looking at it.

That confirmed, you should be able to at least run it off the prime: needles closed, a few drops of fuel down the carb throat, and the throttle at idle, flipping it should result in a brief firing. That would at least confirm the mechanical functioning.

After that, there is only the carb to look at....
Looking at the parts list of the Evo 10, I see a few parts in the carb that could be fitted in the wrong order without it being conspicuous, but it would result in a non functioning fuel pump....
Even if the engine was never disassembled before, perhaps the folks at the factory can mistakes too?
May 17, 2017, 05:37 PM
Fossil Fuel =Fuel For Fossils
Quote:
Originally Posted by the pope
The drive is really sucking the fun out of it for me . I'm seriously thinking of having a year off or rejoining a club that's about 10 min. away . Its basically just a farmers paddock with no facilities at all and u r lucky if anyone rocks up . No place to even take a dump or any shade . I'm so depressed!
The drive here is about 16 miles to any one of three club fields. I usually make a day of it and often get over 2 hours flying time in per trip. I don't mind toting the "huge" field box and the very old Sullivan electric starter is usually in the car but more often than not just sits there .
Latest blog entry: YS 1.60 Zero Nitromethane
May 17, 2017, 08:15 PM
Thanks for rubbing that in Gary .
May 18, 2017, 04:55 AM
Ah , Sorry.

If you are ever in the neighborhood you will be quite welcome at our field. We even have a spare bedroom if you need a place to stay. Great food and I'll buy the glow fuel.
May 18, 2017, 07:33 PM
I would love to come to the usa for a holiday . Unfortunately I cant see that happening . What part of the states do u live in ? Thanks for the kind offer though . Cheers
May 19, 2017, 04:54 AM
Michigan.
Come any time !
May 29, 2017, 11:30 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutus1967
Did you confirm ignition timing? It should not be possible to get it too far out of time, but still....
If for example for some reason the woodruff key would be missing, you might not notice it from the outside by looking at it.

That confirmed, you should be able to at least run it off the prime: needles closed, a few drops of fuel down the carb throat, and the throttle at idle, flipping it should result in a brief firing. That would at least confirm the mechanical functioning.

After that, there is only the carb to look at....
Looking at the parts list of the Evo 10, I see a few parts in the carb that could be fitted in the wrong order without it being conspicuous, but it would result in a non functioning fuel pump....
Even if the engine was never disassembled before, perhaps the folks at the factory can mistakes too?
How would I test the timing?

I think fuel is getting to the engine so it could be the timing. What can I do to adjust it if needed?
May 29, 2017, 12:52 PM
Closed Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDowson
Plenty videos on YouTube that can demonstrate that better than I can explain in words..
Quote:
I think fuel is getting to the engine so it could be the timing. What can I do to adjust it if needed?
There should be a sensor fitted close to the prop driver. It should normally have some 10~15 degrees of adjustment freedom.

With one of the videos found on YouTube, confirm that the ignition is set at 26~28 degrees before TDC
May 29, 2017, 12:56 PM
Unless I've missed it, the OP does not say if he is using an electric start. While the 10cc version will hand start, it starts far easier with an electric start where it will jump to life at the first touch with the starter even though hand cranking has worn the arm out. IIR, before breaking it in, hand starting was very hard to accomplish. The 8cc may be similar.

So... the question to RDowson, are you using an electric starter?
Jun 02, 2017, 02:33 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by AA5BY
Unless I've missed it, the OP does not say if he is using an electric start. While the 10cc version will hand start, it starts far easier with an electric start where it will jump to life at the first touch with the starter even though hand cranking has worn the arm out. IIR, before breaking it in, hand starting was very hard to accomplish. The 8cc may be similar.

So... the question to RDowson, are you using an electric starter?
Yes, I'm using a starter.
Jun 02, 2017, 06:30 AM
Quote:

Just me, but I doubt anything you're able to do by way of a timing adjustment is going to change your "no start" scenario to one that is running.

If you have fiddled with the carb fuel adjustments much, I would open the owner's manual and carefully
reset them to the factory suggested. These carbs don't set up normally. You need to use the book!

This engine does not have a reputation for hard starting - as long as the factory settings are correct on the carb, you aren't trying to flip start it, and you're using an electric starter. Flip starting may be possible later on with the carb set properly and some patience.
Jun 02, 2017, 06:03 PM
Thread OP
Everything has been set to the recommended settings as per the manual. Using a starter. No signs of life.

Quick Reply