Difference about V5 vs V6...Dragon Force RG65 - Page 2 - RC Groups
May 12, 2017, 09:03 AM
DF65/No Excuses, Just Sailing!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailfish
Dare I ask the question: How much heavier is the V6? Are we talking 10 grams or a couple of ounces?

I will say, I do like the looks of the V6 sails and the fact that they are made of Mylar is a bonus.

to remove ads between posts
May 12, 2017, 09:33 AM

Like it really matters

Come on Chuck, pull out the scale 2 boats and put it to bed...

The rest of us are going out to practice, that's the real difference !

Quote:
Dare I ask the question: How much heavier is the V6? Are we talking 10 grams or a couple of ounces?
May 12, 2017, 03:03 PM
would like to know the weight of the A+ rig and sail as well if anyone knows or can weigh that. thanks
May 12, 2017, 05:36 PM
Ontario Canada
Quote:

I will say, I do like the looks of the V6 sails and the fact that they are made of Mylar is a bonus.

Chuck knows but he's not telling. I'm guessing 15 grams but that is only a guess
May 13, 2017, 01:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeWeatherhelm
Chuck knows but he's not telling. I'm guessing 15 grams but that is only a guess
Does it really matter? This is something I have often wondered ... Why do people stress over a couple of grams weight difference in a displacement craft? I ask not to be argumentative in this thread but as a general question.

Weight ... Why do a few grams matter?

I recognise the rg 65s are lighter. But is that why they are faster or is it the better rigs, the better hull shapes etc ...

I know people who are anxious about sticking name stickers on their boats because it is extra weight.... Really?
May 13, 2017, 09:16 AM
Generally, I agree...to a point. I think sailors ability trumps up to 2 or 3 ounces of weight. Unless all sailors are of equal ability...which rarely occurs in most regional or local racing programs.

That being said, if you do not pay close attention to every detail of weight...it doesn't take long for a few grams here and there to add up to several ounces. Or even pounds.

My first Seawind was a Readyset. With my NiMH battery weighed nearly 7 pounds...all up. After a year or two...what with servos replacements, rigging "improvements", etc., she porkered up to nearly 8 pounds. And not really competitive any longer. Then I replaced it with a very old carbon fiber kit boat weighing 6 pounds, 8.3 ounces. The same sailor, with a lighter boat started winning races again. Same pond, same competitors...only change was lighter boat.

So this poster is firmly convinced there is a strong need to be strictly diligent about even the slightest weight additions.
Last edited by Vulcaneer; May 13, 2017 at 03:07 PM.
May 13, 2017, 12:25 PM
Ontario Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haimark
Does it really matter? ....

Weight ... Why do a few grams matter?
Yup they do 'cause a few grams here and there add up to a lot of grams in some cases.
Overweight people don't win marathons, 10K races or sprints.
22lb bikes don't win the Tour de France anymore.
and heavy boats don't help win races either.

I hope the difference is just a few grams like you suggest...
Of course the biggest factor is still the skipper
May 14, 2017, 03:28 PM
Recent eastern champs in the UK.... Top 3... All v6 .... Just saying
May 15, 2017, 01:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haimark
Recent eastern champs in the UK.... Top 3... All v6 .... Just saying
I love the conjecture, and I would be perfectly happy to pump up the myth that the V6 is "faster"it would sure help me sell more boats...

but it is simply not true...

and I'm sorry 10g of weight on this boat doesnt make one iota bit of difference, I've hseveral races where we have weighed boats, and by my own reckoning of skippers skill vs. weight, versus experience with the DF65, it simply is a non factor. You can take my word for it or not.

The rigs are too identical, the hull shape is too identical. the sail plan is too identical for a 10 grams to be the difference between winning and losing. I have had this same discussion with every winning skipper in this boat and every one laughs at the idea of 10-30 grams of weight in the DF making a bit of difference, especially the lead designer John Tushingham.

I am willing to bet some skippers get better results because of the improved instructions that lay out tuning and measurements in a much easier format, having a brand new set of really decent sails on the boat make a huge difference in their personal results.

The last 2 US DF65 Nationals, Brig and Baron both had some of the heavier boats in the fleet. Both had hulls stickers, etc. Guess what, zero factor in determining the winner.

In my opinion the only real "advantage a version 6 has over its earlier brothers is the new tray which addresses the rudder arm rubbing issue , which can be retrofitted to the older v3-5 boats very inexpensively.
May 15, 2017, 01:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeWeatherhelm
Naw then I will have to build another new v6, I sold the one I had to a local skipper, although I have a new build working, Im painting it so its not a good baseline.
May 15, 2017, 04:15 PM
Steve Landeau IOM USA 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windward RC
Im painting it
There's another way anyone can see that a few grams doesnt matter. If it did, ALL the painted boats would be behind ALL the non-painted boats.... Hmmm new name for my next boat.....? Stars upon Thars.... (Dr Seuss anyone?)
May 15, 2017, 05:53 PM
I suppose if you are that way inclined to have the ultimate DF65, you would obviously go for the lighter hull, pretty obvious really.
May 15, 2017, 10:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibldrc
There's another way anyone can see that a few grams doesnt matter. If it did, ALL the painted boats would be behind ALL the non-painted boats.... Hmmm new name for my next boat.....? Stars upon Thars.... (Dr Seuss anyone?)
lol...I loved that one ...