Thread Tools
May 10, 2017, 12:37 PM
Registered User
Discussion

Difference about V5 vs V6...Dragon Force RG65


Someone would know what the differences are V5 vs V6 ..... Thanks in advance
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
May 10, 2017, 04:12 PM
Registered User
DragonForce 65 Version 6 Debut Feb 2017 (27 min 5 sec)


As I understand it the biggest benefit is the Mylar Sails. There is a new hull and deck design to eliminate seam roughness, and a new servo tray. The hull shape does not offer a competitive advantage.
May 10, 2017, 05:33 PM
DF65/No Excuses, Just Sailing!
Windward RC's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudell
Someone would know what the differences are V5 vs V6 ..... Thanks in advance
Also upgraded radio, and improved assembly instructions are nice for the newer skippers
May 10, 2017, 07:21 PM
Steve Landeau IOM USA 21
I don't have both in front of me, and I'm new to the class, but from what I have read, the only performance advantage would be the sails, and that was open to be replaced if desired anyway.
There are some fittings that are better designed, more robust, a longer lasting plastic hull, etc, but nothing that will render any older version to be non-competitive in any way.
May 10, 2017, 09:28 PM
Registered User
Good to hear that people say there is no performance difference. It would be great to see some on the water long term comparisons so the question could be put to bed.
May 11, 2017, 01:21 AM
Registered User
The v5s in our club regularly beat the V6

But that may be the sailor rather than the boat.
May 11, 2017, 10:10 AM
Registered User
And I just heard that in another UK club a mid pack V4 sailor has moved to the front of the fleet with his V6. Would be great to get more results and reports.
May 11, 2017, 01:11 PM
DF65/No Excuses, Just Sailing!
Windward RC's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Corbett
And I just heard that in another UK club a mid pack V4 sailor has moved to the front of the fleet with his V6. Would be great to get more results and reports.

Im glad to hear you are taking such an extreme interest in the DF65 Roy.

There is absolutely no reason why the version will make a difference in results other than the skill of the sailor. None whatsoever.
May 11, 2017, 01:41 PM
Steve Landeau IOM USA 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windward RC
There is absolutely no reason why the version will make a difference in results other than the skill of the sailor. None whatsoever.
Except the sails.
If the V4 had original sails, I truly believe the mylar is going to give a better, more consistent, and longer lasting shape.
And if that were the case, good for him/her. Dues paid, gimme my prize.....

Didnt Binks win last month or so with a V4?
May 11, 2017, 01:55 PM
DF65/No Excuses, Just Sailing!
Windward RC's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibldrc
Except the sails.
If the V4 had original sails, I truly believe the mylar is going to give a better, more consistent, and longer lasting shape.
And if that were the case, good for him/her. Dues paid, gimme my prize.....

Didnt Binks win last month or so with a V4?
Yes he did..
May 11, 2017, 05:00 PM
Registered User
We got two guys sailing the v-6 in our new club PCMYC, Just gotta say it's fun
May 11, 2017, 05:14 PM
Registered User
I'm taking an interest because if the V6 is faster or just the same I will sell off either my entire old boat or buy the new hull.... I like the way the new hull looks better. If on the other hand, the V1 to V5 boats have a speed advantage I'll keep the existing boat. The more field reports the better....
May 11, 2017, 08:15 PM
Registered User

V4 vs v6


In Florida before I left for the season, I was sailing against 3 v6.
against very well sorted out v4's the v6 was equal but not really faster
and the v4 used the stock sails. that said I really like the shape the v6
sails have.
mike

May 12, 2017, 05:45 AM
Registered User
I agree with Mike's statement there is no difference, however, Baron says the 6 is heaver but it still depends on the skipper
May 12, 2017, 07:54 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigman
I agree with Mike's statement there is no difference, however, Baron says the 6 is heaver but it still depends on the skipper
Dare I ask the question: How much heavier is the V6? Are we talking 10 grams or a couple of ounces?

I will say, I do like the looks of the V6 sails and the fact that they are made of Mylar is a bonus.



Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Dragon Force DF65 Boomer1 Sailboats 6409 Today 01:04 AM
Build Log Dragon Force White Edition "Build" Thread BiggsDarkLighter Sailboats 29 Oct 27, 2016 01:01 AM
Discussion Dragon Force/ Dragon Flite Rudder servo failure iansmith Sailboats 20 Oct 16, 2016 09:45 AM
Question Dragon Force 65 sellers? BiggsDarkLighter Sailboats 20 Oct 03, 2016 12:16 AM
Question ProBoat Westward 18 VS Dragon Force 65 VS Micro Magic... BiggsDarkLighter Sailboats 7 Sep 28, 2016 10:27 PM