Dec 09, 2019, 10:35 PM
óTó
Nice! It looks like they came up with a solution that is backwards-compatible with the original pod.

-Randy
to remove ads between posts
Dec 09, 2019, 11:11 PM
Oleg Golovidov
Thread OP
Very cool. I did not realize that the last batch already had the alignment keys.
Dec 10, 2019, 12:27 AM
Everything's A Compromise
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westranm
From a practical perspective, I like the idea that I could lose one tail servo in flight and still have some elevator control to save my plane.
-Randy
FWIW, I’ve experienced that first hand. It wasn’t a servo failure, though. My Vtail model was set upon by an angry bird that resulted in it striking the left tail. It did so with such force that the tail was dislodged from the fuselage about 15mm, disconnecting the ruddervator drive pin. The strip of tape used to retain the tail was split from front to back.
It was a loud hit.
I suspect that the tail being dislodged absorbed some of the force.
Had the tail been bolted to a glued-on pylon would it have survived? Who knows.
My point is that there IS a redundancy benefit. (And they look cool )

If you look at my avatar on the left, that’s a cad drawing of the model that was being built.
The Volo-V would be the closest commercial model available to my specs.

So, I’m looking forward to seeing the Volo-V, however long it takes.

D.
Dec 10, 2019, 04:09 PM
RV7guy

Volo success!!

The dust has settled from the F5J in the Desert and I'm back at work with a little time on my hands. As Oleg has noted there were several Volo's flying in the contest with 4 in the Fly offs. On Friday I tested the SL and the Windy. Based on the predictions I was concerned about the wind coming up, especially on Sunday.

The conditions were tough and altitude was required to get your times. Both Oleg and I messed up early. Oleg in R1G1, me in R1G2!! Tough time to use the throw out. There was virtually no thermal activity. Occasionally somebody might catch a little something but it was rare.

Sunday was a little breezy and we were into the climb and cruise scenario. There were a moments of thermals but they broke apart limiting the altitude you could get. I really don't think anyone really sky'd out. There were times where getting the 10 was tough, like barely getting back to get a landing. I was doubtful that anyone would get 15 in the fly offs.

This was a tough group. Probably the toughest line up of pilots at any 5J contest short of the TS. Making it to the fly offs was an honor and I hoped not to embarrass myself after a hard fought prelim. The first round only 4 of us got the times. The second round all but 1 got the times. Mike Roseberry went an amazing 123m in those conditions and got the time.

In the 3rd Round I knew if I got the time I'd be in the top 4. I climbed and was able to work a little lift. After it broke apart, I came back toward the field and found lift just off the field at probably 200 feet. Not looking good. It was extremely light and I was able to climb out enough to insure the getting the time. I was extremely thankful to be flying my 38.5 ounce Super Light!! Toby was in the same thermal but adjust out and it didn't work. I'm convinced the very light plane allowed for me to sustain and later climb. After getting maybe 400 feet, my caller, John Hsu was telling me everyone was coming down. Soon he let me know that it was only Tim Johnson and myself in the air. I had to stay focused to preserve the time and get a solid landing. It all worked for the win. Never under estimate the power of luck!!

One thing I'm most proud of was the landing results. Out of 14 rounds flown including the fly offs, I managed 13- 50 landings and 1 45. The solid landing performance of the Volo is the key.

Thanks to John Hsu who did a great job of calling for me in the Flyoffs. He was definitely a key to the success in getting me to some good air. Thanks Oleg, Randy West, Tim Johnson and Lenny Keer for timing during the prelims.

The Volo with Futaba gear performed flawlessly the entire contest. Motor is the Neu 1102 with P22 gear box, Castle 50 ESC and Hyperion 3S 900 mha batteries. Servos are the Futaba 3777 HV's driven by SBus. These are true HV's with fabulous centering, speed and power for 5J. Don't overlook them!!

Get a Volo. You won't be disappointed!!

Darwin N. Barrie
Chandler, AZ
Team Futaba
Last edited by dnbarrie11; Dec 10, 2019 at 04:16 PM.
Dec 11, 2019, 12:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenny970
I just got a new Volo Super Light model (Thanks Oleg!) and noticed that the fuselage boom now includes an alignment groove molded into the side.
A matching carbon pin is pre-installed in the fuselage pod to make fuselage alignment easy.

Lenny
Jealous much!!
Dec 11, 2019, 05:16 AM
Well done Darwin and thanks for the great report!
Great news about the boom alignment pins!
Dec 11, 2019, 10:55 AM
RV7guy

Thanks !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grindf5j
Well done Darwin and thanks for the great report!
Great news about the boom alignment pins!
Thanks!! I personally haven't noticed a problem with the fuselage not having alignment keys. Visually line it up and tape it down. I've probably got 1500+ flights combined on all of my Volo's and this has not been a problem. Certainly hasn't kept me from buying them!!

Darwin N. Barrie
Chandler, AZ
Team Futaba
Dec 11, 2019, 02:22 PM
I had, it twisted a little when doing very light rolls, and it was secured with a strong tape. The worst thing is aligning it on the field, it fits so strong you cant twist it just a little, you have to try it as many times it is aligned perfectly.

I would not buy any not-self aligning 2-piece fuselage again, so I am very happy with that little fix.
Dec 11, 2019, 04:13 PM
Oleg Golovidov
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by gs089
I had, it twisted a little when doing very light rolls, and it was secured with a strong tape. The worst thing is aligning it on the field, it fits so strong you cant twist it just a little, you have to try it as many times it is aligned perfectly.

I would not buy any not-self aligning 2-piece fuselage again, so I am very happy with that little fix.
I know we have discussed this already, but I want to reply again
Your experience is very unique. My experience is quite the opposite
I have done gentle rolls with my planes too and never saw the boom shift.
And never heard about the boom twisting in flight from any other customers.
Also, I am curious how is it that the boom fit is so tight, yet it twisted in flight.
Is there any chance that you assembled it twisted and then noticed it after the flight?

I am convinced that when taped with any reasonably good tape (not electrical tape for example which gets gooey at warm temperatures), the fin or the stab will break away before the boom will twist.
I use Kapton tape because it is heat resistant and never leaves any residue on the fuselage (or wings).

Having said that, I am just as happy as you are to see the alignment keys on the boom.
This eliminates the only negative issue with the Volo that you have experienced
So you don't have to worry about the assembly anymore.

(BTW the trick with assembling is to NOT slide the boom all the way until you align the boom with very little friction, then give it a gentle push to slide it into the forward part all the way).
Dec 11, 2019, 04:31 PM
Yes, the quality of the Volo has been extremly high and now it‘s perfect. Can‘t wait to see the Volo-V!
Dec 11, 2019, 09:47 PM
Iím with you Oleg never had a problem! It just makes a great design better!
Ross
Dec 11, 2019, 10:19 PM
Oleg Golovidov
Thread OP
A few more gorgeous Volos arrived to me and will soon be traveling to their new owners...

I checked one boom and indeed it has an alignment key (single slot on the right side), so all new planes are shipped that way now. Yay. The fit of the boom cone into the nose pod is not as snug as on most of my planes, so inserting and removing the boom is not a problem at all.

--

ORDERING FORM <-- submit to get on the waiting list for a Volo.

--
Dec 12, 2019, 12:46 PM
Im building a light for Monaco. The plane came pre wired (beautiful job) but the wires run forward, not towards the back where everyone seems to place the receiver.
I can move things but wonder what is the motivation to place it in the back? Looks like another harness connection (failure point). Haven't checked CG with gear in there-maybe forward wiring/receiver for CG?
Also Olegs build shows 7 pin connector. Must be 5 signal plus power and ground. I like to be redundant if possible with power and ground....
Just want some thoughts before I cut on this beauty.
Dec 12, 2019, 01:52 PM
Oleg Golovidov
Thread OP
My main reason for placing the receiver in the back is to move the antennae away from the 'hand grabbing' area, and away from the motor/ESC/wing/etc into the clear space.

Light planes tend to be tail heavy (the power system is usually lighter). So having the receiver forward is better for CG.

Regarding the extra connector.
With two tail servos in the tailboom, you will need a connector there anyway.
My power wires connect to the wing connectors first, and then go back to the tail.
So the power to the wing servos does not flow through the receiver and than back.
Dec 12, 2019, 02:08 PM
Thank you

Quick Reply