Nov 10, 2019, 10:12 AM
There is a Volo Light (short boom) in the selling section. It's mine.
Though decision.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 10, 2019, 10:15 AM
doo
doo
I'm also curious about the various options. I think I am convinced to go with the higher angle joiners, but does anyone have opinions on the short vs. longer tail booms? I'm thinking either for the light or std. layups if that matters. Thanks!
Nov 10, 2019, 11:05 AM
RV7guy

Joiners

We, Randy West and I, have tried about every combination of joiners possible. Randy has 3D printed some as low as 5 degrees and up to 8.5 degrees. We have center joiners at 4 and 6 degrees. The 6 degree center joiner with the stock 7 degree tip joiners is my go to set up for my Super Light and Light. For the Windy I have stayed stock at 4 degree center joiner and 7 degree tip joiners. I don't get that much opportunity to fly in wind so there hasn't been much experimenting with different combos on the Windy.

Regarding which plane to buy, I'd say buy for the conditions you fly in most. Here, we usually have very little wind and light lift conditions. This calls for very light planes. Most of our guys have something in the low 40 ounce range. For any wind conditions the Light can be ballasted 10% of the weight with good safety margins and improved wind performance. Then there's the Windy for those occasional crazy days.

Interestingly, I've found my Super Light to be good up to 10 mph winds. It is really my primary plane now.

Regarding the short boom, honestly, I didn't bond with it. In all fairness, I only have about 20 flights on it so I may try it some more and play with the set up. I believe Randy shares those thoughts on it as well.

You won't be disappointed with any Volo. Buy for your conditions, don't add unnecessary weight in the build and you'll have a top notch competitive plane.

Darwin N. Barrie
Chandler, AZ
Team Futaba
Nov 10, 2019, 11:11 AM
iumop ap!sdn w,I
Edit...post above popped up when I posted and refreshed the page, and it answers everything. Thank you!!!

Unfortunately where I live is usually high wind and low lift, and I’ve yet to find a perfect combination for those conditions!
Last edited by G.P.; Nov 10, 2019 at 11:16 AM.
Nov 10, 2019, 11:56 AM
Camber down and screw it up.
Although I don't have any experience experimenting with different angle tip joiners, from what I understand, the higher angle joiners get blown around more on landing approach, especially during crosswind landings .

I guess it makes sense, if you have more tip panel up there in the air, and a crosswind, it's going to affect its flight path, at least more than a shallower angle polyhedral.

As I said, I haven't verified this, but something to consider if you're experimenting with different angles. Try some crosswind landings and see if it makes a difference.

--
Greg
Nov 10, 2019, 07:36 PM
Service Engine Soon
Quote:
Originally Posted by doo
I'm also curious about the various options. I think I am convinced to go with the higher angle joiners, but does anyone have opinions on the short vs. longer tail booms? I'm thinking either for the light or std. layups if that matters. Thanks!
The reason to go with the shorter tail boom is really about the over all flying weight and more so if you are going super lite 39, 40 oz flying weight including back up battery. If you go with a more powerful motor and bigger main battery then the longer tail boom off sets the nose weight. Now there are modifications also to use a 38mm motor mount to move the heaver motor back about a inch and a half with the long tail boom that works out pretty close depending on where you put the gear?
In high winds and ballasted you will need more power so the long tail boom is the way to go. I also replace the carbon elevator push rod for a steel one adds tail weight and durability. Now flying the short tail boom vs the long. Only in my mind are they different.
Nov 10, 2019, 07:49 PM
Service Engine Soon
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdouglas
Although I don't have any experience experimenting with different angle tip joiners, from what I understand, the higher angle joiners get blown around more on landing approach, especially during crosswind landings .

I guess it makes sense, if you have more tip panel up there in the air, and a crosswind, it's going to affect its flight path, at least more than a shallower angle polyhedral.

As I said, I haven't verified this, but something to consider if you're experimenting with different angles. Try some crosswind landings and see if it makes a difference.

--
Greg
True but don't think it affects you more than landing a SL to slow to much flap and trying not to dork it. I am glad we now can land into the wind.
Nov 18, 2019, 11:48 AM

Volo Flight Report

I have finally joined the F5J world. Finished my Volo and flew it for the first time yesterday. The model is very impressive. First launch was 80M and the flight lasted 20 minutes. Even though there are hundreds of posts on how great these new breed of models fly, you have to experience it to appreciate it. It goes up on nothing and covers ground so much better than I thought a 48oz model would. I can't wait to get some more airtime. Having been a longtime F3J/TD guy it was fun to fly something that is so light yet has great performance.

I also want to say that its been a pleasure dealing with Oleg. He monitors this thread and is quick to respond. The questions I sent him via email were always answered in a timely manner.

Stats:

48oz RTF
MKS 6130 Flaps
Spektrum 7020 on ailerons
Blue Bird on Elevator and RUD
Tenshock motor
RFM 13x8 Prop
Hyperion 850mAh
Castle Creations Talon 60
Battery backup by Garry Ogilve

The only real change I made was using some 1/16" aluminum tubing I was able to make some pushrod ends that were adjustable before gluing in place. See attached pictures. Like others I installed the RX just in front of the tail servos on 2 rails that are glued to the servo tray.

Jim McCarthy
Nov 18, 2019, 12:41 PM
Oleg Golovidov
Thread OP
Jim, thanks for the report!
It is very rewarding to have a positive report from a 'distinguished' TD pilot.

We need more pictures though
Nov 18, 2019, 01:09 PM
Professional sink locator
Just before his maiden with the new baby!
Nov 18, 2019, 01:46 PM
Oleg Golovidov
Thread OP
Thanks, Garry! Nice field you guys have there!

Jim, you need to install a rubber band on the prop to keep the blades folded all the time, your glide ratio will improve some more!

Also, I noticed how you notched the fuselage wall a little near the servo arm. You need to watch this place for potential cracks developing. The cone where the servos sit is a highly loaded structural element, the tail boom is cantilevered on it. We already weaken it somewhat by making the opening on top for the servos. This place is subjected to shock bending loads during landings. If the wall(s) crack, it is nearly impossible to see the damage before the next launch. And then the boom may deflect a little before/during the flight, and the plane will develop a lot of down trim. Sometimes even during the motor flight. Sometimes so much that you cannot pull out of a dive...
Nov 18, 2019, 04:10 PM
Oleg,

Hasn't the manufacturer taken into account the weakness of the rudder/elevator mounting area and reinforced this with additional carbon wrap in the making of planes going forward?

Lou
Nov 18, 2019, 06:04 PM
Oleg Golovidov
Thread OP
Yes this area has extra layers for sure.
Nov 18, 2019, 06:24 PM
Service Engine Soon
[QUOTE=foxcraft;43196877]Oleg,

Hasn't the manufacturer taken into account the weakness of the rudder/elevator mounting area and reinforced this with additional carbon wrap in the making of planes going forward?

Lou[/QUOTE

Yes Oleg informed the factory early on when he/we got the first two and my cracked on a hard landing.
My experience was not so much where Jim put the notch for the servo arm at but at the step down inside the aft half of the tail boom. The new versions there is almost no step on the inside. When it would crack it would usually happen right along the line and hard to see or notice before the next flight. If you hear something crack on a hard or sideways landing just take the time to un tape and check it over before flying again. I have really pounded my latest two Volos with no cracks and no modifications to the joint area. Although this still remains to be an area that needs checking on a hard landing and if you think you are going to dork for points then it's a good idea before installing the servo tray to add an extra layer of carbon on the inside just in case.
The wing tip joiners I think are also a little stronger, or I am just landing much better. The idea is that they will crack or break instead of the wing mashing works very well. I have only snapped a couple of tip joiners with no wing damage over hundreds of landings.
Nov 19, 2019, 08:08 PM
Team Canada F5J, Team Graupner
My Volo Standard arrived today. What a STUNNING F5J model! The fit and finish is truly impressive. Thanks Donatas and Oleg!
Mine came with the Servos (MKS HV6110 on Ail/Rud/Elev and MKS HV6130 on Flaps) and IDS installed at the factory + all wiring done. Still waiting on motor : I am thinking of going with a Tenshock EDF TS-EZ1515 15T 3770KV with 5:1 PG. My LiPo's are in Ogdensburg (4S 850's and 3S 850's), I'll be picking those up tomorrow morning. Haven't figured out which props to go with yet (suggestions always appreciated!). Graupner ESC and Rx ( you'd almost think I'm a Graupner Team Pilot or something are ready to go!

Weights (with servos and wiring installed)
Right Tip: 134g
Left Tip: 129g
Right Shoulder: 257g
Left Shoulder: 256g
Rudder: 26g
Elevator: 26g
6deg Spar: 49g
4deg Spar: 49g
7deg joiner: 12g
9deg joiner: 14g
Aluminium motor mount: 4g
Total: 893g (no motor, spinner, props, ESC, Lipo or Rx) sorry- I have no idea what that translates to in non-metric.

The cold has arrived as has that nasty white stuff on the ground which means I won't have the chance to maiden the Volo until the Spring sometime A quick picture- pardon the very messy workshop!

Jean

Quick Reply