Jun 07, 2018, 09:36 PM
Maarten
In the 80's eyeball data was good enough.

In 2018 we want to see camber settings based on the developer software wing design simulations.
Too much to ask?
to remove ads between posts
Jun 07, 2018, 11:12 PM
Oleg Golovidov
I measured my deflections and edited my previous post to reflect it.

The wing shoulder airfoil molded on the fuselage shows the "speed" or "fast cruise" camber position. This is "zero" camber position. Raising flaps/ailerons above that is questionable. Maybe useful only if going really fast against strong wind.

2 degrees down (2.5mm down at the flap root) from that is the theoretical 'cruise' camber, where the max L/D is the highest. This should be the default camber position for traveling. (But the difference in max L/D between 0,2,4 degrees of camber is less than 1 unit, so hardly noticeable.)

Anything higher than 2 degrees is thermal camber. 4 degrees (5mm down at the flap root) is "thermal 1". And so on. This will depend on pilot's preference, and the weight of the plane. I constantly play with the max camber, try a little more, then back off again. 10mm down at he flap root is OK for REALLY slow float, but needs some down elevator to keep the plane moving. I rarely use that much.
Jun 08, 2018, 09:10 AM
RV7guy

Olegs settings

The camber settings seem to be the most critical on this plane. Mine seem to be close to this. My first level of camber is at 1/8." The second at 1/4." I tried several settings on the first level from 1/16" to 3/16." After several flights I settled on the 1/8."

For Reflex I have the TE set at 1/16" above the molded camber line in the fuselage. This will make the plane really scoot. When trimmed properly, the reflex is very effective with good speed and minimal descent.

I usually set my planes up for 3-1 Aileron differential and adjust from there. On the Volo, I use about 50% maybe a touch more. The plane locks in turns!!

I'm out of town but maybe Jeff Naber could do measurements on his throws to get the exact numbers. He's using my program from my Volo lite.

Darwin
Jun 08, 2018, 04:27 PM
Jesper Frickmann
Two questions:
  1. How do you align the frames correctly to fit with the linkage? Is there a trick?
  2. Does regular CA melt the foam core?

Thanks,
Jesper
Jun 08, 2018, 08:07 PM
Maarten
I position the servo in the frame so the control horn is to the front.
Show some pictures. Using the supplied linkages I don't think you have options.

I like to epoxy frames in wing. West Marine epoxy with 406 filler. Medium CA might work but I would be concerned with the thin skin that it might bleed through.
Jun 08, 2018, 11:25 PM
Oleg Golovidov
CA does not attack the Rohacell foam, but if it kicks off too fast it can melt it.
Control horns are OK with CA.
Laminating fabric inside the servo wells - use epoxy.
Servo frames - medium CA should be OK since you only need a small bead of glue under the frames. Thin CA like Maarten says may penetrate to the skin and make a mess there.
Jun 10, 2018, 08:06 AM
Service Engine Soon
We had one heck of a practice day with the Volos yesterday. Conditions where hot almost no wind. The lift some of the day was very fickle with small bubbles it was there one turn then gone the next. Most flights you had to ride several bubbles to get your time. On occasion there was real lift but not often. Then after last break end of the day almost no lift. I worked on my low start height and most where at 53 to 70 meters. There where several flights no chance to make it back unless it worked. I think I am now locked in with my settings as I either have learned how to fly the plane that way or it just doesn't make any noticeable improvement on performance to change anything.
I also have been able to recognize lift better while under power even high speed.
There is nothing I don't like about the Volo. The key is just let it fly and not get to slow. One flight I was not in the best lift and not that far out. I see Oleg in lift way out almost to my limit. I decided to fly out to seal his lift. Well it didn't work, I could not get into his lift. Either I didn't go far enough or the bus had left. So I bailed out from that area and flew all the way back to the field picking up some more lift. Totally amazed at the range of the Volo it gives you two or three mistakes just because you can move around the sky.
What a fun day!
Jun 10, 2018, 08:29 AM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brady Baggs
One flight I was not in the best lift and not that far out. I see Oleg in lift way out almost to my limit. I decided to fly out to seal his lift. Well it didn't work, I could not get into his lift. Either I didn't go far enough or the bus had left.
I think anyone who has ever flown against Oleg has had that experience.
Almost like he does it on purpose
Jun 10, 2018, 09:43 PM
E sailplane thermal hack
That's what the best pilots do
Jun 10, 2018, 10:51 PM
Maarten

First Flight

Flew Volo for the first time this afternoon.
Conditions were overcast with little wind and few thermals.
Perfect conditions for trimming a new plane.
The Volo flew fantastic. Needed very little trim and Oleg's settings worked really well. This plane flies like a big DLG.
Motor prop combination provide vertical performance at half throttle.
The design is brilliant as the 4 piece wing and 2 piece fuse fit in a compact box.

Specs:
Volo Standard
Graupner ESC 50T
Graupner RX
MKS 6110 in wing
MKS 6100 HV in the fuse
Motor Tenshock EZ 1515-13 4430KV with Reisenauer 5:1 gearbox
Prop 16x8 GM
Total weight 1370 gram or 48oz
CG 105-100

Ballast sticks of 7 and 13 oz.

Below more pictures on Volo build
Jun 10, 2018, 11:03 PM
Oleg Golovidov
Maarten! thanks for the pics.
Once again, another clever trick learned from a new builder (receiver placement).
I always say, every build is a little different. Even if it looks the same.
Jun 11, 2018, 12:32 AM
Oh, daddy knows what's next on his X-mas list
Jun 11, 2018, 05:08 PM
Looks great Maarten! cool trick with the cardboard tube for the receiver I also like the idea of the antennas being far from the shading of the wings.

Is the ballast selfmade or their system?
Jun 11, 2018, 09:49 PM
Maarten
Thanks. The receiver position worked out nicely.
Ballast is actually from my Explorer and X-perience pro
Last edited by mbr1234; Jun 11, 2018 at 11:13 PM.
Jun 13, 2018, 08:18 AM
Oleg Golovidov
The May production batch of the USA kits arrived to my place!
I will be packaging and shipping them out next week (after I am back from Polecat).

--

Quick Reply