Dec 01, 2021, 02:49 PM
over it
Launched my superlight the other day with the tail servos unplugged. When I put the flight pack in I must have pulled the wires out of the Rx...fortunately the elevator was neutral but I noticed immediately when I lauched and the elevator compensation wasn't working so I shut it down at 20 something meters...flew it with flaps and ailerons to the ground to no damage...lucky me
to remove ads between posts
Dec 01, 2021, 03:22 PM
Screwing up is an art
I'm liking the single plug approach that Oleg showed with early in this thread where his Rx is mounted in the boom and there is a single, multi-pin plug that connects all wires at once. I use a 1x8 connector that carries power, esc, ailerons, flaps, and Sbus. I have colored stickers on one side of the male and female connectors to help prevent me from plugging the system in backwards.
Dec 01, 2021, 04:14 PM
RV7guy

SBus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabrungard
I'm liking the single plug approach that Oleg showed with early in this thread where his Rx is mounted in the boom and there is a single, multi-pin plug that connects all wires at once. I use a 1x8 connector that carries power, esc, ailerons, flaps, and Sbus. I have colored stickers on one side of the male and female connectors to help prevent me from plugging the system in backwards.
I generally run 100% SBus using only 2 ports on a 4 port receiver. Saves weight and wire pollution. I recently built a new boom and used KST X08's. This required a wire run to the receiver for the Rudder and Elevator servos. I did as described earlier for the connectors.

I have one Volo with the receiver mounted on a tray attached front of the boom. Works great. But we almost always have to add weight to the nose. So no practical advantage.

Darwin
Dec 01, 2021, 04:21 PM
over it
I don't understand how the rx in the boom would work out...seems the Volos try real hard to come out tail heavy...guess you could compensate with a larger battery/motor/ whatever but that's just adding unnecessary weight
Dec 01, 2021, 08:47 PM
a different approach 😉
Dec 01, 2021, 09:08 PM
Ron: Tell us about the pushrods. Do you have a connecting function? Or did you make it a one piece fuse?
Dec 01, 2021, 09:24 PM
iumop ap!sdn w,I
Is the added weight of the longer pushrods less than what the required nose weight would have been?
Latest blog entry: Colour Schemes
Dec 01, 2021, 11:11 PM
One piece fuselage.

Moving the servos ahead of the CG allowed me to use a light weight power set up and reduce the overall weight .

Ron
Dec 02, 2021, 09:14 AM
"and reduce the overall weight ."

C'mon Ron ... tell us how much weight was reduced."
Dec 02, 2021, 09:16 AM
Screwing up is an art
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshadam
I don't understand how the rx in the boom would work out...seems the Volos try real hard to come out tail heavy...guess you could compensate with a larger battery/motor/ whatever but that's just adding unnecessary weight
I didn't have to add nose weight for either my Std or Lt. The Std uses the Tenshock 1515-13 geared and the Lt uses the Xpower 2919 direct. In the case of the Lt, I have to be careful to NOT insert the 850 Lipo too far forward or the CG will be nose-heavy. I do have to make sure the 850 is all the way forward on the Std. But still no accessory balancing nose weight needed for either plane.

An important consideration is that the Rx is very light and its not very aft. That probably helps avoid adding much in the way of tail weight.
Dec 02, 2021, 05:02 PM
I had a crash today and broke up my front fuse and joiners. If anyone has a front fuse and/or joiners to sell please let me know.

Robert Samuels ..... [email protected] or 314/477-6778
Yes, I did put in an order with Oleg. I'm just working all venues.
Dec 02, 2021, 05:40 PM
D T
D T
Quote:
Originally Posted by ransamuels
I had a crash today and broke up my front fuse and joiners. If anyone has a front fuse and/or joiners to sell please let me know.

Robert Samuels ..... [email protected] or 314/477-6778
Yes, I did put in an order with Oleg. I'm just working all venues.
I have 5 or 6 tip joiners, Strong layup. Think they are 7 deg.
Sold my Volo last year...
Dec 05, 2021, 11:32 PM
Oleg Golovidov
Thread OP
Another great day at the club field with the members of the NC Volo society

Dec 07, 2021, 12:49 PM
Oleg Golovidov
Thread OP
Huge thanks to all Volo pilots representing the Volo brand at the AZ event!
Congrats to my Volo pilots who made the fly-offs.
Special congrats to Steven Willcox for placing 2nd both in the prelims and the fly-offs!
And to Josh Freund for placing 3rd in the fly-offs!
According to my count there were 3 Volo pilots in the fly-offs.

Here are a few awesome pics of John's dragon Volo, stolen from Bobby's FB page.

--
Last edited by olgol; Dec 07, 2021 at 01:43 PM.
Dec 07, 2021, 01:17 PM
over it
I Placed 3rd in flyoffs with a Volo SL flown the duration of the contest

Quick Reply