Volo F5J from AeroVolo - RC Groups
May 10, 2017, 11:54 AM
Oleg Golovidov
New Product

Volo F5J from AeroVolo

Volo F5J is a new project from the newly formed AeroVolo company in Lithuania lead by Donatas Pampikas.

Donatas and his new team have been busy for several months now, first working on the new workshop, CNC tools and equipment, and now they are making the tooling for this new plane that is going to be released soon. I helped Donatas with the CAD work for Volo.

The design is based on Gerald Taylor's wing, SynerJ. We stretched the wing to the maximum allowed 4m to get as much benefit from the larger wingspan as possible, and make the model able to range farther. We also used a generous tail moment arm to make it docile and stable while flying at those far away distances.

One of the differentiating features of the design will be a 4 piece wing and a 2 piece fuselage, to aid in reducing the transportation dimensions. This will allow the model to be packed in a very small box for traveling to contests or storage. Of course this comes at a small weight penalty, but we hope it is a worthy compromise.

With the great reputation of Gerald Taylor's aero work and the excellent manufacturing expertise of Donatas and his team, Volo F5J should be a great option for F5J/ALES pilots. I can't wait to get the first sample of the plane in a few weeks and start testing it...

--

Ordering form

--
Last edited by olgol; Nov 15, 2017 at 10:09 PM.
to remove ads between posts
May 10, 2017, 12:30 PM
1 revolution and throw!
Solid Core?

very nice choice to go for 4p wing and 2p fuselage!
Last edited by krikkens; May 10, 2017 at 12:35 PM.
May 10, 2017, 01:07 PM
Oleg Golovidov
Yes, solid Rohacell core.
May 10, 2017, 02:08 PM
E sailplane thermal hack
Anticipated price?? Specs??
May 10, 2017, 03:54 PM
Thank you, Oleg, for the new thread and good words!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airman74
Anticipated price?? Specs??
I thing the price will be similar like other F5J planes, depending on quality and weight. Maybe we can offer better price for the first models. We Iíll see. But at first we need to make one. Wing area about 80dm^2
May 11, 2017, 07:50 AM
Looking forward to this! With Oleg and Donatas in the project I don't think it can go wrong. I love the push towards travel convenience.
Latest blog entry: Vibe Assembly Instructions
May 11, 2017, 04:40 PM
Portability is pretty awesome. Also good if you have a pesky wife and need to stash a couple models.
May 11, 2017, 07:35 PM
+1 for Transportability.

Dihedral vs flat at the center?

All the best.

Luis
May 11, 2017, 07:41 PM
Camber down and screw it up.
Computer image shows dihedral at the center section. Don't know what angle, but it's not flat.

--
Greg
May 11, 2017, 07:54 PM
I'm curious how these solid core rohacell wings are made. Is there still a top and bottom mold made, and then the rohacell core is machined in a mill and then sandwiched between the mold halves, while the wetted CF fabric cures around the core ?

Or am I way out in left field ? (I've been there before, lots of times - the view's not bad)

--
Greg
May 11, 2017, 09:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdouglas
I'm curious how these solid core rohacell wings are made. Is there still a top and bottom mold made, and then the rohacell core is machined in a mill and then sandwiched between the mold halves, while the wetted CF fabric cures around the core ?

Or am I way out in left field ? (I've been there before, lots of times - the view's not bad)

--
Greg
That's about right.
Latest blog entry: Vibe Assembly Instructions
May 12, 2017, 12:35 AM

New F5J

Wow all kinds of innovations, great time to be in the sport!!! Looking forward to seeing this new machine!!! Cheers!

John
May 12, 2017, 12:47 AM
A choice of wing tips joiners including 2.5 degrees would be nice.
May 12, 2017, 02:24 AM
I think the 4 piece wing / 2 piece fuselage is a HUGE positive selling point. In addition to being easier to transport, it's less expensive to ship, especially across the Atlantic Ocean. The Ultima fuselage is something like 158cm. long! (62 inches) with the vertical/rudder not attached. The shipping box needs to be at least 10cm. longer than that. For many shipping companies, this is considered oversized, and they either won't ship it at all, or charge a hefty premium because of the length.

I will gladly give up the added weight for the convenience while transporting and/or shipping it. It's my opinion that this obsession with ultra low weights and shaving grams has gone way past ridiculous. It may be good for bragging rights, but honestly, how often is a 28g advantage going to translate to a noticeable, measured flying advantage ?

--
Greg
May 12, 2017, 02:37 AM
1 revolution and throw!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdouglas
I think the 4 piece wing / 2 piece fuselage is a HUGE positive selling point. In addition to being easier to transport, it's less expensive to ship, especially across the Atlantic Ocean. The Ultima fuselage is something like 158cm. long! (62 inches) with the vertical/rudder not attached. The shipping box needs to be at least 10cm. longer than that. For many shipping companies, this is considered oversized, and they either won't ship it at all, or charge a hefty premium because of the length.

I will gladly give up the added weight for the convenience while transporting and/or shipping it. It's my opinion that this obsession with ultra low weights and shaving grams has gone way past ridiculous. It may be good for bragging rights, but honestly, how often is a 28g advantage going to translate to a noticeable, measured flying advantage ?

--
Greg
you can add cheaper replacement parts and less work to replace with the advantages aswell ;-)
altough production cost and thus sales price of the fewer part gliders might be a hair cheaper....